Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Villa at Home (Carabao Cup)

Villa having just been dumped out of the FA Cup may be dangerous given they've saved their better players for Wednesday night. It'll be a tight game but I think we have their measure if we are on it and with the fans behind us. I've got a feeling Vards will play and definitely Maddison. Not sure which of the wingers/wide men plays though 'cos they've all been in and out recently. It would be nice to see Marc Albrighton though against his old club. 

1 hour ago, oxtonfox said:

Villa having just been dumped out of the FA Cup may be dangerous given they've saved their better players for Wednesday night. It'll be a tight game but I think we have their measure if we are on it and with the fans behind us. I've got a feeling Vards will play and definitely Maddison. Not sure which of the wingers/wide men plays though 'cos they've all been in and out recently. It would be nice to see Marc Albrighton though against his old club. 

Better players?

Heaton out for the season

McGinn out for the season

Massive summer signing injured.

I'd hate to think we underestimate them but we should comfortably win this tie.

My bigger worry is can utd turn man city over, over 2 legs, because I'd fancy us v utd, but not sure we can turn man city over based on recent events.

• Like 4

Too many taking this for granted, on paper we are the better side but the adversity of losing a couple of key players plus Wesley who despite the criticism had scored 5 this season may galvanise a different Villa to the one we saw in December. Grealish remains an outstanding talent and Mings a more than capable presence at the back.

Youd expect a slightly cautious Villa on Weds, relying on quick breaks but happy to stifle us with 2 banks of players. An early goal would be a huge statement.

It's all eyes on us, were favourites, expected to set a tempo and pundits will be pushing that. Villa have nothing to lose, will be backed with a noisy following and may be a trickier opponent than some credit at the moment.

So far this season we have beaten teams that we are expected to beat. We have lost to Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool twice. I don’t think we should be fearful of Villa, we are better than them and BR has instilled a winning mentality in the squad which should see us through.

2 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Villa having just been dumped out of the FA Cup may be dangerous given they've saved their better players for Wednesday night. 

Their injury list is so big they are likely to be around 4 or 5 of those who played on saturday 

On 04/01/2020 at 20:23, st albans fox said:

Looking at tonight’s selection of gray and Harvey with no kel I wonder if we are going get use the same diamond that won us the game at villa park last month? 

I’m not sure that diamond is suited to home games, we need more out wide we are too pedestrian otherwise.

yeah wouldn’t want that diamond at home again. they are injury hit, it’s a first leg, they’re away and they’re outsiders. they will be here for a 0-0 all day and us playing 4 centre mids and two strikers stood on the edge of the D sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

also think we are more likely to be hit on the break if we don’t play any wingers. 

tbh think it will be a tough game either way. i’m still not fully convinced we are actually that good at “breaking down” poorer teams at home, based on everton, norwich and watford in the last 6 weeks. we seem to just about get there but struggle over the line. that breaking down becomes even harder when it’s a first leg and even a 1-0 defeat is probably a decent result for them. 

4 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Better players?

Heaton out for the season

McGinn out for the season

Massive summer signing injured.

I'd hate to think we underestimate them but we should comfortably win this tie.

My bigger worry is can utd turn man city over, over 2 legs, because I'd fancy us v utd, but not sure we can turn man city over based on recent events.

90 min match and the last time we met they were at their best and we weren't.

They also play Real Madrid away on the Wednesday before so they'll be completely focused on that in both preparation and resting players. Whilst they would be favourites another day and another game, anything can happen. 

10 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Part of me thinks Vards might miss this one given no Kelechi yesterday

Disagree. Iheanacho has played about 7 games this season. Why would he need a rest? Brendan has said Vardy is fine for Tuesday. 

I don’t know why you’d change the diamond after we battered them with it a couple weeks ago. Put the onus on them to adjust.

Unfortunately rotating CBs isn’t really an option with the injuries, so I’d expect a more or less full-strength side.

22 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don’t know why you’d change the diamond after we battered them with it a couple weeks ago. Put the onus on them to adjust.

Unfortunately rotating CBs isn’t really an option with the injuries, so I’d expect a more or less full-strength side.

Surely the onus for them in this leg is to defend like mad and nick at theirs? As others have said aside from Grealish they are missing more of their creative players so I would expect them to be more of a block. That should hopefully mean other areas are more exploitable though.