Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Villa at Home (Carabao Cup)

2 hours ago, jerry said:

I was there in 69 and although hope City can get to the final would anticipate a rematch with more than a little trepidation having watched Man City in the first half last night ! I'm sure Watford were looking forward to last year's cup final and we all know how that one ended !

Yeah - but we're not Watford are we? And, ok, Manchester City are a very decent side. So are we. 

Maybe it's just me, but I never go into a game worrying about the opposition. 

Of all teams' fans, we should know that received wisdom means nothing...

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Crazy that even in this modern era, some fans would not be that excited about a trip to Wembley.

I can understand that since the experience of the day has been somewhat diluted by the overkill of hosting FA Cup semi finals and even quarter finals there, in addition to the marginalisation and decline in relevance of both competitions post PL era and the disrespect shown shown by clubs and managers. However, to some, with the exception of the Charity Shield,  it's been a long time and something that younger supporters won't have experienced. As a kid, I craved FA Cup glory and it is still unfinished business as far as I am concerned. 1969 seemed like a distant dream but then the nineties gave me my first opportunity to see my club play at a Wembley final. The memories of the play offs - particularly Derby and Palace and the three visits for the League Cup made it feel like an annual fixture (even though the 97 victory was at Hillsborough).

I worry about the Carabao Cup though - the very real possibility of incurring injuries with maybe three games to play. It's as though we've done this by accident when really I want to see us prioritise the league and a decent FA Cup campaign. Almost indifferent to this. 

I would dearly love though to see Kasper hoist the FA Cup next May and the squad to parade it through the streets of Leicester. It wouldn't match 2016, but it would be something I always longed to see never actually believing that we could instead become champions of England. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Yeah - but we're not Watford are we? And, ok, Manchester City are a very decent side. So are we. 

Maybe it's just me, but I never go into a game worrying about the opposition. 

Of all teams' fans, we should know that received wisdom means nothing...

You'd think the people on here have never watched a game of knockout football in their lives, as if "worse" teams don't beat "better" ones all the time over 90 mins. Granted they outclassed us at the Etihad but if anyone has taken a look at the table recently they haven't been "better" than us over the last 1,890 minutes.

• Like 2

We weren't favourites to beat Boro in 98 or whenever it was. We stepped up to the mark and what a cracker jack of replay we had to win it. We can beat the Manks at Wembley, but we need to get there first.

• Like 3

Does anyone know where you can watch replays of the match fairly soon after? Won't be able to catch the first half but I'm thinking perhaps just turn the phone off and wait until I can watch a replay - obviously it needs to be this evening, no chance of waiting until tommorow! 

21 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I can understand that since the experience of the day has been somewhat diluted by the overkill of hosting FA Cup semi finals and even quarter finals there, in addition to the marginalisation and decline in relevance of both competitions post PL era and the disrespect shown shown by clubs and managers. However, to some, with the exception of the Charity Shield,  it's been a long time and something that younger supporters won't have experienced. As a kid, I craved FA Cup glory and it is still unfinished business as far as I am concerned. 1969 seemed like a distant dream but then the nineties gave me my first opportunity to see my club play at a Wembley final. The memories of the play offs - particularly Derby and Palace and the three visits for the League Cup made it feel like an annual fixture (even though the 97 victory was at Hillsborough).

I worry about the Carabao Cup though - the very real possibility of incurring injuries with maybe three games to play. It's as though we've done this by accident when really I want to see us prioritise the league and a decent FA Cup campaign. Almost indifferent to this. 

I would dearly love though to see Kasper hoist the FA Cup next May and the squad to parade it through the streets of Leicester. It wouldn't match 2016, but it would be something I always longed to see never actually believing that we could instead become champions of England. 

If we were to win the F A Cup I would die happy having seen us lose three finals in the sixties -the missus has offered support for that which is a bit of a concern as its a hope not an objective !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dynamark said:

Word of praise for several .Just been down to see if I could get my lad a ticket and queued got to front and only hospitality left .So I'm having a grumble about the family stand rules went to the car and 2 ladies shouted across that there was a fella trying to get a refund as he was poorly.Trotted back over and they had given him his refund and the young man on the counter had kept me the 2 tickets.I wasn't going to go myself but super seats so happy to be there .Good service and  thanks to all.- 3 nil please.

Still find it staggering that the club would rather have empty seats for a semi-final than get rid of the ridiculous rule for one game. 

53 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The club are just throwing money at the atmosphere problem unfortunately. Light shows, "commemorative flags", clappers etc. All guff. 

When I used to go down filbert street as a kid there was always some form of pre match entertainment. We would regularly see the police/army dogs display team being put through their paces, a local scout band or even a juniors match or some such. These days it seems that putting something like this on simply detracts from keeping people in the bars and food courts where they are spending money, with the resultant mad scramble to get to their seats seconds before kick-off.

Personally I liked the pre match shows, as a youngster it made going to the footy a day out. My dad worked in town, so we would park the car at his office, walk to the ground, chip shop on the way, and always get there early enough to read the programme, watch the entertainment be well settled in good time.

Haven't seen the light show, but usually we are pretty good at these sorts of things so will be interesting to see it tonight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LCFC BEAST said:

Still find it staggering that the club would rather have empty seats for a semi-final than get rid of the ridiculous rule for one game. 

The problem is though, if they relaxed the rules and some "undesirables" got in and caused trouble there would be uproar. Generally people buy tickets in the family stand as they believe it is a safe place to take their kids.

I remember the bad old days when the filbert street end was an "unofficial" family area with no specific restrictions in place. despite the fact that it was seen as the safe end of the ground for those with kids (as opposed to the kop end) it still did not stop the occasional fight breaking out there. The club should be applauded for introducing and sticking to these rules. I am sure that I would have got to attend far more games in my youth if this had been in place then. (Still didn't stop us from having to run the gauntlet across Welford road recce - Nelson Mandela park as its now called) to get back to my dads car when the likes of Millwall were in town. Different times I know but there are still a few idiots around who cannot control their language or are spoiling for trouble and the club do not want or need these type of people gaining access to the family stand.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, urban fox said:

When I used to go down filbert street as a kid there was always some form of pre match entertainment. We would regularly see the police/army dogs display team being put through their paces, a local scout band or even a juniors match or some such. These days it seems that putting something like this on simply detracts from keeping people in the bars and food courts where they are spending money, with the resultant mad scramble to get to their seats seconds before kick-off.

Personally I liked the pre match shows, as a youngster it made going to the footy a day out. My dad worked in town, so we would park the car at his office, walk to the ground, chip shop on the way, and always get there early enough to read the programme, watch the entertainment be well settled in good time.

Haven't seen the light show, but usually we are pretty good at these sorts of things so will be interesting to see it tonight.

I would love to see a Police Dog lay a dog egg on the pitch.Good entertainment.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, urban fox said:

The problem is though, if they relaxed the rules and some "undesirables" got in and caused trouble there would be uproar. Generally people buy tickets in the family stand as they believe it is a safe place to take their kids.

I remember the bad old days when the filbert street end was an "unofficial" family area with no specific restrictions in place. despite the fact that it was seen as the safe end of the ground for those with kids (as opposed to the kop end) it still did not stop the occasional fight breaking out there. The club should be applauded for introducing and sticking to these rules. I am sure that I would have got to attend far more games in my youth if this had been in place then. (Still didn't stop us from having to run the gauntlet across Welford road recce - Nelson Mandela park as its now called) to get back to my dads car when the likes of Millwall were in town. Different times I know but there are still a few idiots around who cannot control their language or are spoiling for trouble and the club do not want or need these type of people gaining access to the family stand.

I understand that and agree to an extent, but you can’t question undesirables when the family stand is situated next to the away fans. 

I just feel for something that hasn’t occurred in 20 years, especially for the new generation of fans, the club would want as many people to experience it as possible. 

11 minutes ago, LCFC BEAST said:

I understand that and agree to an extent, but you can’t question undesirables when the family stand is situated next to the away fans. 

I just feel for something that hasn’t occurred in 20 years, especially for the new generation of fans, the club would want as many people to experience it as possible. 

Less than 175 tickets left in the Family Stand. My guess it will sell out before kick-off.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dandy king said:

Does anyone know where you can watch replays of the match fairly soon after? Won't be able to catch the first half but I'm thinking perhaps just turn the phone off and wait until I can watch a replay - obviously it needs to be this evening, no chance of waiting until tommorow! 

Does this remind anyone else of an old episode of 'The Likely Lads'?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone remember that Bulgarian ball juggler we had a few times down there. So good we gave him a trial in the reserves, turns out he was pretty sh*te at playing football, just great with tricks :D

cant remember his name, but he was brilliant !

Worry about the opposition in the final if we get to the final - you have to live for days out at Wembley as a football fan, regardless of who you play - especially for a club like ours. I really really want to win these games against Villa. 

I was too young to remember the last final we were in really, I’m buzzing at the prospect of getting to see us walk out in a major final. I’d be proud to see the lads represent our great city on the big stage again - regardless of the result. 

On 06/01/2020 at 12:58, RowlattsFox said:

Be interesting to see if we ever play Perez, Vardy and Iheanacho as a front 3. With Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi in midfield. That is kind of how Liverpool played under Rodgers, although Sterling was more direct. He played with forwards rather than wingers.

Could maybe too open but I don't think its much different to what we play now.

A fair question and one i wouldn't mind giving a go either.

I do, however, recall B-Rod saying that that is not iheanacho's position so unfortunately think it's a no go.

In Brendan we trust though and all that.