Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

'Injury time'

VAR was introduced to reduce errors in the official's decisions. Is it time the 45 minutes per half is shown on the screen at PL games? I have previously wondered how added time is worked out; endless minutes seem to be added on in the second half, or there is an extra minute in the first half when there have been no stoppages. In the Watford game today in the first half the ref had to get his headset changed (which took 3:41 minutes) amd there was a VAR confirmation of a decision - yet only 2 minutes were added on. In other words, the first half was several minutes shorter than 45 minutes. 

As in rugby, the clock should be officially stopped (and shown to fans), to ensure each half is 45 minutes.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

They should stop the clock now we've got VAR. We never get the time back.

I agree to an extent. 

Watford v Tottenham earlier the Referee communication system stopped working in the first half. It took 3 minutes and 21 seconds for him to get it replaced. 

Added on time in the first half was 2 minutes..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Stop the clock when the ball goes out, start it again when it is back in play- no moaning about time-wasting and you play the full game. The game will be quicker as teams won't take forever to take throw-ins etc.

43 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Matches would last about 3 hours..

Wasnt there talk of having 60 minute matches but with a stop clock? Was against the idea at first but with the introduction of VAR I can see the logic in it. Think there is around 58-59 actual minutes of play dor an average match (happy to be corrected though).

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Stop the clock when the ball goes out, start it again when it is back in play- no moaning about time-wasting and you play the full game. The game will be quicker as teams won't take forever to take throw-ins etc.

I did this once when I referred a game at University. Players got well aggy and thought one half lasted an hour!

On 18/01/2020 at 18:30, Nalis said:

Wasnt there talk of having 60 minute matches but with a stop clock? Was against the idea at first but with the introduction of VAR I can see the logic in it. Think there is around 58-59 actual minutes of play dor an average match (happy to be corrected though).

Pretty much this

dyche was rightly fuming at half time in our game today, one minute added on, the clock hit 45 as we won a corner (or free kick can't remember). we took the set piece, missed and he blew for half time. there should've been more than a minute in the first place, and we probably played football for about 4 or 5 seconds of that minute.

the 3 minutes added on at the end was an insult, too. the penalty incident alone must've taken 2 and a half minutes. 

Your never suppose to stop the clock for goal kicks throw ins free kicks etc that’s not the rules of the game, players are suppose to restart play promptly or face a caution. Injury time is suppose to be just that, time added on for treatment of injuries ( substitutions and time spent celebrating after a goal also). With the introduction of VAR time spent on that is also included.

Historically you do tend to get more stoppages in a second half as there are more subs and generally more injuries as a result of fatigue but that seems to have become ingrained in the game where it happens now anyway no matter how many stoppages there have actually been.

10 hours ago, peterborofox said:

I'm sick of the six second rule the keepers have to release the ball. 

They take up to three times that amount to do something especially if winning the game. Never ever do the referees take keepers to task

As far as im aware that hasnt been a thing gor years

12 hours ago, peterborofox said:

I'm sick of the six second rule the keepers have to release the ball. 

They take up to three times that amount to do something especially if winning the game. Never ever do the referees take keepers to task

Krul got booked for timewasting in the 93rd minute when they played us in December, but only after he'd been persistently doing it for the entire game. It definitely doesn't get punished enough, and there's no way a keeper would ever get a second yellow for time-wasting, which makes it a bit redundant to say the least.

Refs are pretty rubbish in general at actually enforcing the rules. They basically play by their own rules. Their general rule is no cards in the first half. Then as the game increases, your chance of getting a yellow increases, regardless of the type of challenge you make.

They're pretty predictable and useless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Xen said:

Krul got booked for timewasting in the 93rd minute when they played us in December, but only after he'd been persistently doing it for the entire game. It definitely doesn't get punished enough, and there's no way a keeper would ever get a second yellow for time-wasting, which makes it a bit redundant to say the least.

If time wasting was punished correctly repeat offenders would find themselves suspended. The laws are there to eradicate it yet for some reason refs always turn a blind eye to it. 

Because the refs are lazy. Keepers catch a ball under no pressure and go down and stay there for five seconds. Then another 8-10 releasing. It's a joke. 

Also annoys me how a free kick awarded to the defending team deep in their half is never taken from where it should be. It's always placed further up. Doesn't work like that at the other end around the box. 

Aside from the more pervasive societal issues that unfortunately seem to permeate football stadiums there is nothing that annoys me more about the sport than the inability of the referees to ensure a fair amount of time is played.

Diving, tactical fouling, bad tackles are all problems which will exist forever, there’s no obvious solution to them.

VAR and the inevitable associated delays have exacerbated the issue football has with timekeeping. People have mentioned plenty of examples on here but it happens every week.

In the Arsenal v Chelsea game the other day the referee added on (an already way too light) 3 minutes, Azpilicueta went down injured for 90 seconds of it, the ref pointed at his watch as it to say he’d stopped the clock accordingly and then blew his whistle at 93:03.

Our game against Villa in the League Cup was punctuated by time-wasting, injuries and substitutions and there were 3 minutes added on at the end. 6 would have been too few.

The Burnley game on Sunday, again 3 minutes despite 5 subs, 2 goals (both of which took over a minute and a half for play to restart) and a penalty which took nearly 3 minutes from play stopping to restarting.

What is most frustrating is that there are 2 obvious solutions to stop this from happening:

1) Take the timekeeping away from the referee. I’m convinced that the biggest issue is that referees just have too much other stuff to focus on. You could easily give time management to somebody else, a third party or even a computer to manage with a clear set of rules - any time the ball is out of play for over 30 seconds gets added on - goal, corner, whatever.

2) Use a stopped clock with 30 minute halves. This would be just as effective as option 1, but you would have to change football away from being a 90 minute sport at the top level. Currently the ball is only in play for 55-60 minutes of most games and making the ball be in play for 90 minutes would lead to a completely different game as it couldn’t be played at the same pace. 

Such an easy thing to change but nobody seems interested in doing anything about it. I leave most the ground most weeks feeling cheated by how much football I’ve seen, particularly in the second half.

5 hours ago, ttfn said:

Aside from the more pervasive societal issues that unfortunately seem to permeate football stadiums there is nothing that annoys me more about the sport than the inability of the referees to ensure a fair amount of time is played.

Diving, tactical fouling, bad tackles are all problems which will exist forever, there’s no obvious solution to them.

VAR and the inevitable associated delays have exacerbated the issue football has with timekeeping. People have mentioned plenty of examples on here but it happens every week.

In the Arsenal v Chelsea game the other day the referee added on (an already way too light) 3 minutes, Azpilicueta went down injured for 90 seconds of it, the ref pointed at his watch as it to say he’d stopped the clock accordingly and then blew his whistle at 93:03.

Our game against Villa in the League Cup was punctuated by time-wasting, injuries and substitutions and there were 3 minutes added on at the end. 6 would have been too few.

The Burnley game on Sunday, again 3 minutes despite 5 subs, 2 goals (both of which took over a minute and a half for play to restart) and a penalty which took nearly 3 minutes from play stopping to restarting.

What is most frustrating is that there are 2 obvious solutions to stop this from happening:

1) Take the timekeeping away from the referee. I’m convinced that the biggest issue is that referees just have too much other stuff to focus on. You could easily give time management to somebody else, a third party or even a computer to manage with a clear set of rules - any time the ball is out of play for over 30 seconds gets added on - goal, corner, whatever.

2) Use a stopped clock with 30 minute halves. This would be just as effective as option 1, but you would have to change football away from being a 90 minute sport at the top level. Currently the ball is only in play for 55-60 minutes of most games and making the ball be in play for 90 minutes would lead to a completely different game as it couldn’t be played at the same pace. 

Such an easy thing to change but nobody seems interested in doing anything about it. I leave most the ground most weeks feeling cheated by how much football I’ve seen, particularly in the second half.

You could even use your second point as info to the ref only. For example, just before 45th/90th minute, someone informs the ref that there has only been 25 minutes of action that half. Therefore, a minimum of 5 minutes must be added on. Stats can be easily and quickly obtained when required. That way it's computer calculated and not the ref making it up.