Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Burnley post match therapy thread

Sometimes the green doesn’t always rub your way ....... we’re not exactly helping ourselves with some poor decision making but whereas those little things were going our way a few months ago, they aren’t now.  If we stay working hard then it should settle back down again ...

if you slow down their second goal yesterday, more than one player switches off as Jonny goes to clear the ball .... there is no expectation that he may screw up .....Westwood continues his run as has to expect the miss kick in order to get a chance ....and he wins the lottery .... 

brendan has to keep their heads up .... it was a sort of confidence thing before yesterday and now it definitely will be .... we ran well off the ball on transition yesterday .....much better than last week .....perhaps it helped we were away..... be interesting to see how moyes plays it on Wednesday 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

Has 5th place gained on us or something?

that’s complacent ..... they will do if we keep misfiring .....

and I can’t accept that we are in a great place now compared to a decade ago so finishing 5th/6th is good .... if we miss top 4 then we cannot morally hold onto all of our gems .... which will create unsettled unhappy players and be counter productive ........ we have another unexpected opportunity to make the CL and this time, build on it ........

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I tell you what has changed.. our confidence level.

Vardy would have never missed that penno a few weeks ago. It would have been dispatched along with two or three other goals for us

It is strange how we’ve regressed over recent weeks

I could argue that he did at Brighton .... the difference that day was the rebound fell kindly for madders whereas yesterday Ricky couldn’t steer it in ......fine margins as per my previous post  .........

the consequence of us falling the wrong side of these fine margins will be a drop in confidence.......

As the sound of hub caps roll off into the distance, I’ll try to concentrate mostly on the positives.

Firstly, no real damage done due to results elsewhere.

Secondly, a much improved performance compared with Southampton. Burnley defended well and took their chances and we didn’t (we had plenty). Pope had an outstanding match to keep them in it.

Harvey Barnes not only scored but looked more confident and involved in the match.

Finally, what a player we have in Ricardo!

Despite all that, in comparison with some of the spectacular performances in the first half of the season we are starting to look very ordinary. On recent showing I’d be surprised if we managed more than 1.5 points match, to total ~ 67 points which wouldn’t have been enough for a top four finish last season. I think it might be touch and go.

• Like 1

We should’ve walked away with three points here. Very disappointing result and performance. Granted it was better than the Southampton game but when you consider our aspirations this season, we’ve not been good enough since the Everton game even though we’ve managed to get results in some of those games. 

If we do not beat West Ham, there will be some real pressure on. Man City, Chelsea and Wolves to come, 11 points doesn’t look as large it use to.

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep that's right, it was a bit like Rodger's tactics at Celtic where he played a lop sided full back in Tierney, except for us it was Ricardo who was allowed to go forwards and Fuchs who was told to sit.

When Nacho came on we went to a diamond formation, though again Ricardo was further up than Fuchs.

I assumed it was more to do with the fsct that Ricardo can avtuslly get up and down whereas Fuchs can't. 

21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That Mee handball is pissing me off the more I see 

It was about as plum as could be; arms by the sides, sure, but the body shape! Mee contorted himself to block. I kept expecting a VAR review to kick in. Maybe only the arms have to be in a natural position! Ah well, some you get, some you don't.

For me the biggest difference is the lack of energy, the lack of willingness to press. We used to press from the front. Teams have worked out if they just sit back against us, we will play the ball sideways and create nothing. Even when in promising positions, it gets passed along the edge of the box, very rarely anything else. 

Forget the "but we're 3rd in the league", take Vardy out this team, and we are nothing more than a mid-table team at best.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mabrah said:

It was about as plum as could be; arms by the sides, sure, but the body shape! Mee contorted himself to block. I kept expecting a VAR review to kick in. Maybe only the arms have to be in a natural position! Ah well, some you get, some you don't.

VAR in essence isn't a bad idea but the inconsistency is absolutely baffling. Liverpool on Boxing Day get a pen for the same thing. 

Mee was off (I debate whether he made a genuine attempt to play the ball on the Barnes penalty in the first place) if he gave that - another penalty to us and at the very least 1-1 playing 10 men. 

Game after in Man U v Liverpool, we had a foul on De Gea yet an incident with more contact allowed against Everton invoiving DDG. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

13 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is anyone remotely concerned about the tackle on Cork that led to your goal?  All the Sky commentators agreed that going through the back of the man to get the ball made it a foul.

No they didn’t. Two of them said it was a fair challenge in a contact sport. 

39 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The Mee handball is identical to the Soyuncu pen against Liverpool

I wouldn't have said "identical" as such. Soyuncu moved his arm (however involuntarily) so I guess in that respect it falls under that 'unnatural position' rule type thing. Mee's arm stayed by his side but he moved his body to block. I personally thought it was a penalty but the ref (and VAR?) said no, so that'll do me.

18 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is anyone remotely concerned about the tackle on Cork that led to your goal?  All the Sky commentators agreed that going through the back of the man to get the ball made it a foul.

Given that Cork got straight back and ran after the ball, I think it spoke volumes. 

However in the context of Wood trip at our place, then VAR should have over-ruled but equally both decisions would be/are nonsense.