Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Burnley post match therapy thread

Just now, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Against Burnley, a team on an almost record awful run. Puts those stats into context and it ignores the fact that since Norwich, we have been largely very poor. 

It was coming before Norwich. We got lucky to beat let alone draw v Everton and let's be honest had nige been in charge v Watford we probably wouldn't have beat them either.

For the first time I'm a bit concerned.

We've set unbelievable expectations in the first half of the season and we have a team that looks incapable now of achieving them.

Teams seem to have worked out if you press us and get aggressive we really don't like it.

The downturn in form over the last six weeks of Chilwell, Tielemans, Perez, Maddison and Soyuncu is bizarre.

And a few weeks ago most of us thought this team was better than the one which won the title lol

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, MattP said:

We've set unbelievable expectations in the first half of the season and we have a team that looks incapable now of achieving them.

Teams seem to have worked out if you press us and get aggressive we really don't like it.

The downturn in form over the last six weeks of Chilwell, Tielemans, Perez, Maddison and Soyuncu is bizarre.

And a few weeks ago most of us thought this team was better than the one which would the title lol

Our title winning team had mental strength which when things got tough we battled it out.

This team is more talented but lack that resolve or strength.

However Brendan who has got slot plaudits, needs to earn his bacon and make us winners

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Against Southampton at home we were awful but I don’t think we were today. Really I think Pope was the difference as he made a brilliant save to deny Praet for 2-0 and then saved Vardy’s penalty. That gave them the momentum they needed to win. 

But the bigger issues aren’t just performances but mental strength. We’ve bottled the big games and now we’ve lost three times recently despite going ahead first against Man City, Southampton and Burnley. This for me is the scarier thing. 

This is for sure our blip and we’ve got to trust Brendan to sort it out. 

For me though this also also shows the difference between this team and the title winners. This team plays better stuff but the title winners had bottle. After the last minute Arsenal defeat they bounced back. When Vardy was sent off against West Ham we got a point then got 7 points from the next 3 games. They only lost 3 games all season and only one - the 5-2 defeat to Arsenal was a spanking. That’s what this new generation needs - bottle.

I’m a huge James Maddison fan but he needs to stop falling over and start acting like a leader out there. He’s our x-factor player and the one that can turn a game on it’s head. The title winners had Mahrez and whilst he didn’t do it every game there were many occasions where he turned a draw into a win or loss into a draw. 

This is all a learning experience and I didn’t think Champions League was possible at the start of the season, but to miss out now would be a huge bottle job. 

So come on boys let’s see a reaction against the Hammers on Wednesday!

I didn't see the match today but I agree with this bit in bold. We lack experience in the middle of the pitch. A player who knows how to calm things down and also lead from the front. I'd also like to see a bit more physicality at times.

We were bullied by Villa and Southampton, though the latter played well. Was it the same today?

Got to say I'm concerned. We still have a cushion but we need to beat West Ham very badly now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, l444ry said:

Man Utd lost just like the others around us. 11 point gap maintained. Always look on the bright side of life chaps.

I seem to remember Eric idle sang that as he was being crucified!

And he wasn't even a very naughty boy...

reckon it will come down to city v utd unless wolves take it away from us before hand...

Not confident at all now.

Just got home from game. Disappointing. We definitely did not deserve to lose the game but were way too wasteful in front of goal, and ponderous when breaking.

Vardy pen miss aside, and let's face it 3 or 4 key saves from Pope,  the two key incidents for me were in second half. Maddison who had time and space all day, surging forward options left and right and hit it over the bar, so wasteful. Second one, we broke quickly, Perez dithered when Vardy and Nacho were both clear, chance gone.

And although he was instrumental in our goal and best chance, Barnes is just not a left winger. He can't let the ball roll onto his left an d has to take that extra touch, and turn inside onto his right. He very rarely goes outside either and 2nd half Burnley defence knew this and any threat he posed was easily snuffed out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

And a few weeks ago most of us thought this team was better than the one which won the title lol

I also think we pissed off other sides earlier in the season, so brilliant was our football. Now they're really up for the fight and realising we lack much grit in the side. 

• Like 1

Really want to like Perez but he is so light weight we really need another winger ASAP. I am more worried about villa than West Ham as I think if we lose that it could mess the heads for the rest of the season. Luckily today no one made points up on us this weekend but won’t be like that every week so need to pull their fingers out 

24 minutes ago, reynard said:

I didn't see the match today but I agree with this bit in bold. We lack experience in the middle of the pitch. A player who knows how to calm things down and also lead from the front. I'd also like to see a bit more physicality at times.

We were bullied by Villa and Southampton, though the latter played well. Was it the same today?

Got to say I'm concerned. We still have a cushion but we need to beat West Ham very badly now.

We did get bullied a bit but I don't think that's why we lost, and Burnley are probably the most physical team in the league. Evans was unusually at fault for their winner and we made plenty of chances to win the game. I will say though that some of the weaker players in terms of physicality such as Mendy and Barnes got pushed around a lot.

I agree with you about experience in the middle of the park. Drinkwater has nowhere near the talent levels of Maddisonn, Tielemans or even Praet but he was experienced enough to provide some leadership both when Kante was around and when he wasn't. The young lads will learn it in time, but this is a match that "got away from us" when it should have been anything but. Praet was extremely impressive at times today and unlucky to be hooked but at the same time for as good as he is, he's not got the voice of a leader. Fernandinho of Man City is a great example for me of someone whose physicality is diminishing but his experience and know-how is still second to none, even if he plays at CB these days. I think we are crying out for one other player like this, though at the same time you don't want to block the games that young players get.

• Like 1

We need a real leader(s) in midfield at the moment. We are missing Ndidi but he's perhaps not the most vocal, although that is not the whole characteristic needed. I thought Tielemans might have been that person last season but he is struggling with his game of late.

We all give Grealish stick at Villa but he does lead his team by example. Kasper is the captain but he is well removed from where the action is. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

The problem is psychological. We have seen how well this team - all of them - can play when they click. Currently they are not. Both against Burnley and against Southampton we let them get back in the game, it would have never happened first half of the season.

I suspect some are believing their own hype, others need leadership on and off the pitch. Hopefully the closing of the transfer season will cool some egos.

This is where Brendan needs to earn his money and provide that leadership.

2 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Finish our chances and we'd have whooped them. Just need to get our flair back. It'll come. 

Now's the time to get dip out the way. Push on at the business end. Happy days! 

There's too much flair, not enough work-rate right now. Perez and Maddison together was a luxury.

And if Southampton had finished their chances they'd have trounced us. So we can complain that things aren't going our way game upon game or we can act on perfectly obvious shortcomings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

:o

Ricardo literally looked like the only one who could make some happen..

He’s an exceptional player

If you want rubbish today look no further than Maddison and Vardy

Going forward yes, his idleness today when out of position for the second was disappointing 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers said: "I thought we deserved to win the game, we just didn't take our chances. That was a mixture of their keeper making some brilliant saves and our finishing. I always thought we were a threat in the game, we had that fluency back. The biggest disappointment is the second goal in that their midfielder runs off our midfield and his desire to score was greater than ours which was a huge disappointment.

"You have to have those things right in the Premier League away from home if you are going to get anything. But I thought we were dangerous, slick, with good combinations, but somehow lost."

I would actually agree with this. I don't think we were brilliant but we did put together lots of good moves and made lots of chances. This defeat was not nearly as disheartening as the Southampton one for me. But of course it's all good saying these things, we need to turn the corner.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers said: "I thought we deserved to win the game, we just didn't take our chances. That was a mixture of their keeper making some brilliant saves and our finishing. I always thought we were a threat in the game, we had that fluency back. The biggest disappointment is the second goal in that their midfielder runs off our midfield and his desire to score was greater than ours which was a huge disappointment.

"You have to have those things right in the Premier League away from home if you are going to get anything. But I thought we were dangerous, slick, with good combinations, but somehow lost."

I would actually agree with this. I don't think we were brilliant but we did put together lots of good moves and made lots of chances. This defeat was not nearly as disheartening as the Southampton one for me. But of course it's all good saying these things, we need to turn the corner.

Honest that, felt we had them but the finishing wasn’t there

• Like 1