Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Burnley post match therapy thread

20 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

what's our record on pens over the past few seasons? we seem to miss more than most teams..but it might just feel that way after today.

this season: 5 pens, 3 scored

2018/2019: 7 pens, 5 scored

2017/18 : 6 pens, 5 scored 

2016/17: 6 pens, 4 scored

2015/16: 13 pens, 10 scored

2014/15: 4 pens, 3 scored 

total: 41 pens, 30 scored - 73%

I think the general consensus is that pens are converted at around 78% rate, so we're slightly below, but not by much. 

https://understat.com/team/Leicester/2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Or it could be that subtle slices of luck goes our way sometimes but not now?

Brighton penalty retake?

Chilwell's mishit opener v Saints?

Plus, I don't recall any complaints of complacency when Maddison and Choudhury fired in away at Newcastle. In fact, I remember celebrating our arrogance rather than bemoaning it

You cite two instances where it went our way.

I'm talking about half a dozen matches where we've shown we lack certain qualities that defined us earlier on.

Burnley (a) 2-1 loss against a team that had lost seven of their nine previous matches

Southampton (h) - 2-1 loss - after a 1-0 lead

Aston Villa (h, 1-1, FA Cup) - somehow managed to get a draw, otherwise a rather awful game

Everton (a, League Cup) - arrogant display in the second half, giving a 2-0 lead away

Wigan (h, FA Cup) - only took the lead thanks to an own goal, and then huffed and puffed over the finishing line

Liverpol (h, 0-4) - simply caved in (granted, against the currently best team in the league)

Manchester City (h, 3-1 loss) - took the lead, then took the foot off the gas and let it slide

Norwich (h) - a dour 1-1 against one of the poorest teams in the league

In two out of those eight matches, I can excuse our performances to some extent - Liverpool at home (best team in the league) and maybe Manchester City away.

The rest? Rather spineless.

In what way were we "arrogant" after a win against a team down to ten men for most of the match?

Most fans were taking the piss out of Newcastle's sports science team if I remember correctly.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

We're one dimensional, in that we have our way of playing and when we do it well we look brilliant.

Unfortunately for the last month, for whatever reason, it's not worked that well. Two results against an abysmal West Ham and Newcastle have covered up the fact that when we've been up against teams with quality or fight we've struggled. 

I'm not getting despondent but I'm not buying the it's only one game argument either. 

• Like 1

Have you ever seen a team miss one individual as much as Wilfred Ndidi. Please hurry back! 

terrible performance and if this doesn’t show we need a couple of buys in the window I don’t know what does. If we’re not careful we will keep slipping up as we don’t have there quality in a number of areas. Far too many players are loooking horribly out of form and it can’t carry on. 

27 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You'll find few people who'll complain about their team losing - depending on the way the defeat came about.

For about a month now, our players have apparently lost their appetite for football. One can rue VAR decisions all day long, in the end, you make or break your own luck.

Fact is our style of football and the attitude displayed by many players reek of complacency and arrogance. Manager at present seems to have no clue how to rectify these issues.

I couldn’t agree more.

Maddison needs dropping; his diving and leaving us a man down, when it’s not given and at other times doing it when he could have as easily laid a chance on for another goal effort, is symptomatic of a team who have lost their desire for whatever reason.

Starting with the Norwich game we’ve simply been out worked by the opposition; our successful period from the start of the season  was due to our work ethic.

Twas ever thus in football. It’s no coincidence that Liverpool are flat out every game and 16pts clear at the top either.

Just now, henrik_62 said:

Yeah my point is though all that would have done is paper over the cracks. The performance overall was poor and flat which has alarmingly been the norm for a number of weeks now.

You can't play at full speed for 90 minutes every week every single game all teams have to grind out results 

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

You can't play at full speed for 90 minutes every week every single game all teams have to grind out results 

Yeah but the point is you haven’t turned in a single decent/complete performance in weeks, there’s an obvious and alarming downward trajectory. It’s not as if your performing below par and grinding out results anyway, your throwing leads away every other week right now.

Edited by henrik_62

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

Lets be honest, Vardy has been doggo of late. Hope he gets his form back and bloody soon. As for Maddison, he needs to stop play acting and put as much effort into his football or fvck off. 

See that motivation course has really paid off  :)

I just hate what football seems to have become. Not just with ourselves but every fanbase really, particularly the more successful you are that whenever you lose, no... whenever you so much as concede a goal, that x player or even every player is the worst player on the planet. So much so that we should just flog them immediately, for some obscene amount of money to a better/bigger side than us.

• Like 2