Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Realjimbo

Leicester slang

I've lived away from Leicester for most of my life but still have the accent and usage of "Leicester", (do people still say jusgunnipumfrit) what Leicester slang do you remember? For many years "mardy arse" seemed to be limited to Leicester before it spread and "cobs" are not commonplace either.

• Like 2

My wife is from notts and the slang is massively different and here’s some examples,

we refer to a little horse as a gee gee to the kids(they call it a bebbo🤦‍♂️)

we say crumpet(they call it a piclut)

we say ice pole(they say sucker)

and finally we say sweets(they call them tuffies)

rare breed them notts lot are

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He's gotta cob on

He seems to be perplexed at his current predicament!!!

His Oppo.

His mate/friend/colleague.

The best on it was.

The best thing about the story was...

Dunnowatcharonabout

I don't seem to understand exactly what your trying to say!

Uya fu@ker.

Wow that's amazing!!!

A up

Hello dear fellow/ fellowesh!!!

Edited by Raj

42 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've posted a while back that only we use 'bob' as slang for poo. Or at least I do. 

Bobbed himself.

Bobbin my pants

Going for a Bob. 

Someone's had a Bob in there.

One of my favs that. Lapse into it from time to time. I get some right funny looks. 

I was actually at school with a lad called Robert Staines. True story. Oh how we laughed. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

My wife is from notts and the slang is massively different and here’s some examples,

we refer to a little horse as a gee gee to the kids(they call it a bebbo🤦‍♂️)

we say crumpet(they call it a piclut)

we say ice pole(they say sucker)

and finally we say sweets(they call them tuffies)

rare breed them notts lot are

What in the utter living **** is this? 

Yorkshire folk call cobs all manner of things. Bread cake, barmcake and my favourite, tea cake the most popular (tea cake to me has raisins in and you toast it). 

Amount of times I’ve been in Greggs or the chippy or something and ask for a chip/bacon Cob and just been looked at like I’ve pissed on their kids. 

I say jitty, these up here say snicket (wtf?) or Ginnel (this is more Manc though). 

They call a croggy a backy up here, which is apt because it would appear, by some of their language, that they are all ****ing backwards anyway. 

hahaha, read it above but yeah, how Leicester is “Ooooooya!” 

Fairly sure the only two places I’ve heard me duck used are Ibstock and Coalville. Don’t hear it in town as regular. 

Edited by Manini

I'm Leicester born and bred but haven't lived there for many years. I will use expressions sometimes that have people looking at me strange but I'll not think they are anything out of the ordinary, teggies is one such. Also mardy, okey, laggy (band).  I've lived in a few countries so obviously my vocab is somewhat mixed and sometimes I'll use a word and genuinely not know where it comes from, or how common it is or isn't. 

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Amount of times I’ve been in Greggs or the chippy or something and ask for a chip/bacon Cob and just been looked at like I’ve pissed on their kids. 

Haha.. I asked for cobs in Brighton a few years ago, the woman said"cobs? They're 'orses ain't they", I pointed out if I'd wanted horse I'd have gone next door to the delicatessen.