Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Realjimbo

Leicester slang

19 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

My wife is from notts and the slang is massively different and here’s some examples,

we refer to a little horse as a gee gee to the kids(they call it a bebbo🤦‍♂️)

we say crumpet(they call it a piclut)

we say ice pole(they say sucker)

and finally we say sweets(they call them tuffies)

rare breed them notts lot are

Another one common in Notts which I hate

"It's breaking me" mate you have just got in work 

Edited by whoareyaaa

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

"Duck" is widespread as far south even as Kettering. Always "m'duck" rather than "me duck" in the Harborough area though.

Never realised "mashing" tea was unique to us until I lived away.

I used to hear mashing alot when working with the network rail lads in derby. Had to ask them what it meant. 

I have lived away from the City since 1994. 

Some say I now have a tinge of Scottish in my accent after years up here, but whenever I come back for more than a day or two, my accent goes rahtpropohLeicestoh all over again.

As well as cob, croggeh, jitteh, people having the mardies or being frit, and of course me duck, all of which I am still prone to blurt, to the bemusement of the Scots around me, I would suggest yorp (yell), yack (chuck, from the Latin), Me Ode (my old [friend]) and 'ark at 'er (hark at/ would you listen to her).

When my missus does what I reckon is a passable Leicester accent (ie an impersonation of me :mad: ) she uses the same few phrases which I suppose I must say a lot;

Ooohyahbloitoh.

Croikeh.

Dooon't 

Goo ("Gooin umm" is going home)

Bleddeh and ooyableedoh

:scarf:

• Like 1

"Straight the way" instead of straight away, never knew about it until somebody on here pointed it out.

East mids rather than Leics but "chewwy" is a regional thing, I'd assume everybody called it that but it's a "chuddy" in Sheff. Cob isn't used up here but it's accepted thankfully because am I f uck calling it a breadcake. I love the downward inflection in our accents

"Goo-in shop" is a staple

Edited by Stadt

On 25/01/2020 at 15:14, Sir Shep said:

Mardy is definitely a Leicester word, I don’t care if they use it in the rest of the East Midlands and South Yorkshire, it’s ours!

I'm with you sir shep, but where does it originate?

I'm sure that because Leicester was so isolated in ancient times - ie so far from the coast and foreign invaders - that we have kept a lot of very old dialect words, sadly dying out year by year.

• 3 months later...

Always mardy for me growing up as a kid especially on holiday mixing with kids from other areas of the country.

"Stop be so mardy" and they say "why you saying stop being so tuesday" they would argue mardy is only used as the french word for tuesday"

Thickos

8 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

Always mardy for me growing up as a kid especially on holiday mixing with kids from other areas of the country.

"Stop be so mardy" and they say "why you saying stop being so tuesday" they would argue mardy is only used as the french word for tuesday"

Thickos

Mardy or a cob on.