Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rodgers calls for FA Cup replays to be scrapped as Leicester cancel warm-weather training plans

10 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

It makes no substantive difference since many of the top EPL players will be playing anyway.

If the English don’t want to play international friendlies, that’s fine and dandy, but other European countries often use international friendlies generally to cap young players and new debutants without competitive pressure, try out new tactics and formation, and generally build on-field chemistry and off-field camaraderie. Little wonder we’ve not won a major trophy since 1966 before some of us were born.

We'll agree to disagree.

When I talk of phantom injuries I don't just mean English players I mean players period, from any country.

I'm not sure other European countries (Or any country from that matter) treat the friendlies any differently to England tbh but if thats how you view it you have your opinions, I have mine.

I can only agree with you having a point on the non-European players playing the qualifiers would be lost, which is a flaw in my debate admittedly.

Edited by Matt

Can’t we just bin off the league cup altogether? That would free up a few dates over the season. If we get rid of FA cup replays then I think the competition will be even more devalued than it is now. The big clubs struggling at the small lower league grounds and then taking them back to a replay is what the whole romance of the cup is about. 

The two teams should be able to agree before the game what happens if it is a draw. 

If one team wants the option of a replay then it should go to a replay. 

But if two teams are happy to agree beforehand that they would both like to finish the game via ET and penalties, then they should be allowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

Agree. Replays are garbage. 

For us, yeah.

For lower league and non league teams? Probably hard trying to convince fans of a conference team that have just battled to a draw against some big club for a lucrative replay that it should be scrapped. 

Everyone bangs on about the value of the FA Cup being some mystical, magical, romantic quality essentially based on exactly that happening. 

The whole point is that literally everyone gets a crack at the FA Cup, of course it doesn't favour the Premiership teams but then it's nice that we have just one competition where just for a moment you get to retain some of football's pre-money boom roots. 

I'm not normally sentimental about football, there's lots about "modern football" I love, but I do definitely think the FA Cup should be left the **** alone. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mint23 said:

Can’t we just bin off the league cup altogether? That would free up a few dates over the season. If we get rid of FA cup replays then I think the competition will be even more devalued than it is now. The big clubs struggling at the small lower league grounds and then taking them back to a replay is what the whole romance of the cup is about. 

The lower leagues rely on the League Cup for revenues, we've certainly benefited from it.

This is all being caused by UEFA and their continual adding of games to the calendar for their own profits and that of the top players who already earn enough all at the expense of grassroots and lower league football.

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

The March FIFA Window may be for “pointless International Friendlies” in Europe, but they are dates for South American, Asian and CONCACAF World Cup qualifying games, as well as AFCON qualifiers.

>

And the play-offs for the Euros.

Replays should stay, if you don't win in 90 minutes then tough. The FA Cup still has an appeal with replays, open draws etc, should be left as it is.

Do you notice that Micky Mellon despite his team playing two hours on a  cabbage patch on thursday night did not moan about to many games

I just sense amongst premier league clubs a spoilt sense of entitlement regarding the facup.

If you dont want to progress than send the kids out and go out like Watford did. 

This cup provides a lifeblood of money to lower league clubs struggling, fifth round and 6th round replays staples of the cup for over 100 years have been scrapped.

I dont think they should demean this great cup any further.

23 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

He's only copying 'Gladiola'!!

UK managers aren't allowed to speak their minds. They're not exotic enough for us.

11 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Couldn’t be more against it personally. It’s great that they scrapped it in the League  Cup all them years as it’s very much an inferior competition, but there’s something special about the FA Cup and replays are an integral part of that, especially for lower league clubs. The FA/PL need to spread fixtures out better over the season rather than allowing them to jam up the fixture list. 

The Qatar World Cup is going throw a massive spanner in the works too, very soon. 

Agree with your statements particularly your final point, the Qatar World Cup is a disaster.