Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

In a proper dilemma. 

My pregnant girlfriend is now showing flu like symptoms (may or may not be corona). She has been advised to self isolate along with me and my daughter. The problem being for me is my workplace insist on knowing whether I've got it or not being they can allow me paid sick. As far as I'm aware you have to be hospitalised to even be tested so what am I meant to do. I can't afford to be off without sick pay and although I feel fine at the moment I don't want to pass it to a vulnerable person if I do have it

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

In a proper dilemma. 

My pregnant girlfriend is now showing flu like symptoms (may or may not be corona). She has been advised to self isolate along with me and my daughter. The problem being for me is my workplace insist on knowing whether I've got it or not being they can allow me paid sick. As far as I'm aware you have to be hospitalised to even be tested so what am I meant to do. I can't afford to be off without sick pay and although I feel fine at the moment I don't want to pass it to a vulnerable person if I do have it

You should self isolate. Just tell them you have it? 

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

They want proof somehow. Do you get a special sticker I'm not aware of? 

You won't get proof. Unless you get so bad that you need to go to hospital. And they shouldn't really be asking you for "proof"

50 minutes ago, Royston. said:

This is a serious consideration.

If one of myself, my wife or my daughter were to contract the virus, would it be better for all of us to stay together, self isolate and likely all 3 of us have the virus so we can look after each other(if possible)?

I've thought about this a fair bit. Both myself and my partner are mid-20s men in a relatively small flat. We do have a spare bedroom one of us could isolate in, but the layout of our flat (and only having a single bathroom) means we couldn't actually isolate from each other even if we tried. We've pretty much conceded that if one of us gets it we're both going to be infected. I'm not sure how it'd even be possible for anyone to properly isolate for 2 weeks whilst living in the same building as someone else.

One of my colleagues has just left to go home and isolate himself because his OH is showing flu symptoms and its not possible for him to avoid contact with her.

As households we're - quite literally - all in this together.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

I've thought about this a fair bit. Both myself and my partner are mid-20s men in a relatively small flat. We do have a spare bedroom one of us could isolate in, but the layout of our flat (and only having a single bathroom) means we couldn't actually isolate from each other even if we tried. We've pretty much conceded that if one of us gets it we're both going to be infected. I'm not sure how it'd even be possible for anyone to properly isolate for 2 weeks whilst living in the same building as someone else.

One of my colleagues has just left to go home and isolate himself because his OH is showing flu symptoms and its not possible for him to avoid contact with her.

As households we're - quite literally - all in this together.

This. Problem is by the time you realise you've got it (i.e. wake up with a fever of whatever) you've likely infected others in the house anyway, or they have infected you!

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

In a proper dilemma. 

There are people who have very noticable flu-like symptoms and underlying health conditions who aren't even able to get tested at this point, so your employers requiring one are way off the mark. I know someone with asthma who has a rotten cold, fever etc and aside from getting a prescription via phone rather than in person there's been no change for him at all - just told to wait it out as everyone else is/has.

23 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

In a proper dilemma. 

Absolutely insane that they would insist upon that. Go into work coughing and see how quickly your colleagues get on to your bosses about it.

16 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It's 0.030303% according to my pocket calculator.

That's a percentage of the people who have it in the whole population. Shouldn't the real figures to look at be the people that have recovered compared to the people who have died,  no-one knows if the people who currently have it are going to survive yet. According to this data from cidrap, in Italy there have been 2158 deaths and and 2749 recoveries which is quite a high mortality to recovery rate. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 

My HR team have said we can, if we want, work from home from tomorrow.

But my on site boss is less keen - saying "it's two weeks too early for this" and "keep you powder dry" - whatever that means.

We share communal areas with 50 odd people, so I'd rather be at home working I think. But I get the impression my boss doesn't really support it

27 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

In a proper dilemma. 

Whose advised your GF to isolate? If it’s 111, they have to send you a notification confirming that and your employer has to accept that.

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

My HR team have said we can, if we want, work from home from tomorrow.

But my on site boss is less keen - saying "it's two weeks too early for this" and "keep you powder dry" - whatever that means.

We share communal areas with 50 odd people, so I'd rather be at home working I think. But I get the impression my boss doesn't really support it

Slip him an acid tab in his tea then.

Today has been a joy.

Three of my main clients all cancelling training they had booked in with me for April/May/June.

My turnover for Q1 of 20/21 will be the square root of fvck all. Oh well, at least I'll not have to pay any VAT :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Today has been a joy.

Three of my main clients all cancelling training they had booked in with me for April/May/June.

My turnover for Q1 of 20/21 will be the square root of fvck all. Oh well, at least I'll not have to pay any VAT :thumbup:

We’ve got a VAT refund...

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Today has been a joy.

Hope things get better for you! I'm quite fortunate as even though im 'self employed' I have a long contract with my 'employer'. Must be hard for the real self employed at this time!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Line-X said:

???? Are you suggesting that we shouldn't keep calm? Life does indeed need to go on, however challenging that may be. 

Nope, I am suggesting you shouldn't be keeping clam and carrying on as normal.

i.e  stop trying to act like it's a bit of a nasty strain of flu and make sure appropriate action is taken and do your bit in stopping this resulting in a six figure death. The Governmant guidelines need to be followed and hopefully if more of us do our bit than don't we wont end up being involuntarily locked down like half of Europe in the process as well.

Just now, Ollie93 said:

Hope things get better for you! I'm quite fortunate as even though im 'self employed' I have a long contract with my 'employer'. Must be hard for the real self employed at this time!

Sounds like you're a prime candidate for IR35 mate :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

You know it's bad when you're getting a VAT refund :rolleyes:

Yup it’s been a shocking year so far, I can’t see how the economy is going to take this if it goes on for months and then a no deal Brexit.