Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

9 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

It already has taken some form of battering for the past few years.

Yep this is just another nail in the coffin, the rise of online shopping and amazon have and will continue to decimate the high st. 

Why have 900 stores paying rent and rates, when you can just have a few big warehouses.

I've witnessed Clinton's struggle 1st hand as a supplier to them, I've also witnessed the rise of the bookies high st presence to the point where theres 3 on every st. But they will disappear in the next generation or 2 as we all turn to gambling online. 

Carphone warehouse was always likely to go eventually, how can they compete with going direct to the carrier in the long term, once it was probably handy to be able to go into 1 shop and compare the deals, in terms of mins and texts per month, but now we are now at a point where it's how much data you get for your money, calls and texts have become free and effectively obsolete anyway. With what's app etc.

I'm sure next run there stores at a loss and the online outstrips it now. 

We have essentially killed a lot of small, local business by using the supermarkets etc, and now we don't use those either, we have caused the death of the high st, and will eventually do ourselves out of jobs because of it as well.

Be interested to see if there's a change of mindset after this. My feeling is in doubt it. But it would be nice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The belligerence of some elderly is absolutely daft.

Can’t work out whether some of them just don’t care or don’t fully understand. 

And I don’t mean don’t understand in a oh all pensioners are thick as mince way either before anyone starts lol 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

People moaning about old people being out need to consider 

• Habit is a powerful thing
  • Loneliness is a fewkin killer

Anyway, they usually congregate together pecking at fag butts, so no bother :mellow:

May not be in line with how other companies are acting but mine has been pretty good in dealing with actions after announcements. 

Categorising as 

- 'working as usual' (Restricting visits to only essential ones),

- showing symptoms therefore needing to self isolate for 14 days and if able to work from home then that can be done

- living with high risk individuals therefore self isolating and under no circumstance to visit so as not to put the high risk even more at risk. 

All with full pay. They've been quite flexible as well so if circumstances change then they'll amend the category. May change for me as my missus has been 'medically suspended' for 12 weeks as they are calling it at her hospital she works in. Again all full pay. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

People moaning about old people being out need to consider 

• Habit is a powerful thing
  • Loneliness is a fewkin killer

Anyway, they usually congregate together pecking at fag butts, so no bother :mellow:

This is why lockdowns are doomed to fail if they last too long. Suicides will rise throughout all adult age groups. People will get bored and drink, drink and drink too.  

• Like 1

I'm actually proud and surprised at how well we've mobilised without much government instruction.

Aside from the issue with pubs mainly, the photos of empty trains and spaces indicate that this will be having some kind of positive effect over the next few weeks without us having to go to complete lockdown unless we absolutely have to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

To be fair Stan I actually wasn't talking about you. I just remembered someone having ago at Strokes (I think it was), for making a joke near the beginning of this thread.

Although if the shoe fits:ph34r::kissing:

I got told off for hoping the virus could target Daily Mail readers :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

May not be in line with how other companies are acting but mine has been pretty good in dealing with actions after announcements. 

Categorising as 

- 'working as usual' (Restricting visits to only essential ones),

- showing symptoms therefore needing to self isolate for 14 days and if able to work from home then that can be done

- living with high risk individuals therefore self isolating and under no circumstance to visit so as not to put the high risk even more at risk. 

All with full pay. They've been quite flexible as well so if circumstances change then they'll amend the category. May change for me as my missus has been 'medically suspended' for 12 weeks as they are calling it at her hospital she works in. Again all full pay. 

Mine have but I’ve heard that some of the bosses have really spat their dummies out which is absurd considering it’s governments advice.

I’m asthmatic and have said from the start I wanted to work from home at the first opportunity. I’m not looking forward to working from home for 3 months in the slightest but I’d rather be safe and keep others safe.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Marco said:

today lockdown in France,a few days ago, lockdown in Spain, a week ago lockdown in Italy....

Stay calm and at home

Lucky you. I've been on lockdown since i got married in 2010. Nightmares mate. Can only imagine how some of those older married gents feel.

On the real, agree. Enjoy the laid back quiet time at home if you can. Before you know it we will be bitching about team selection and VAR again.

• Like 1

I think the only reason we've not locked down yet is that it'd look terrible for the government and experts to crystalise their u turn so quickly.

Give it a couple of days, get the communications straight (i.e. what bullshit explanation will the public most likely believe) around why we need to do it e.g. "science has changed", then push the button.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Went into Waitrose as it opened in Woodley (Berkshire), queues out the door. The restocked toilet rolls isle was emptied inside 1/2 minutes.

Pasta the same, canned food isle emptying rapidly :(

Plenty of old folks, which is good to see as the store is fairly empty normally at this time.

On a personal toilet roll note - Thank God for Cheeky Panda :mellow:

wtf - bog roll? A global pandemic and ffs the first draconian step a government needs to take is the rationing of a paper specify manufactured to wipe yer' arse on.

I noticed in my waitrose all the flu medication had been ransacked as well. I'm not sure on that one, I mean it's flu like symptoms but not actually the flu right?

After shopping around, I did find my favourite brand of pasta late last night. But a shortage of a lot of things I'd usually get in for a standard weekly shop. At least the Offie at the end of the road is well stocked. :thumbup:

And thanks for the Cheeky Panda nod. Toilet paper situation worrying but not yet critical. Boris to sort an emergency airlift hopefully soon to address this pressing shortfall.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Some perspective from the virus ridden south 

my kids school have informed us that a student/pupil/member of staff is positive but has been off for eleven days so not closing 

my partner at work has just told me that someone he played golf with 9 days ago has tested positive 

that tells me that when I go out for my baked potato in the west end in five minutes, I will come across several people who are in incubating it ...

I can see the se of England being locked down by the weekend and other regions to follow - that ‘lock down’ will probably be a month to begin with to make sure it’s gone. 

the Chinese have shown that you can isolate this thing and defeat it in the short term - but it wont be gone properly .... it will re surface ....

my office manager in China tells me this morning that several weeks after they are allowed out, almost no one is shopping apart from food and no one is going out to eat/drink etc - this is not a govt restriction.  

Anything coming out about secondary infections at all from the Chinese office?

Today felt like any other day.Same levels of traffic and people milling along in the streets.Everyone getting along with their jobs.Talk of some London schools shutting though.Wondering if a huge spike in cases around the Thames,is going to make the government panic.