Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, danny. said:

Yup it’s been a shocking year so far, I can’t see how the economy is going to take this if it goes on for months and then a no deal Brexit. 

Only today I've seen Carphone Warehouse are closing all stores resulting in 3000 job losses and Laura Ashley are going into admin. The airlines and travel industry must be going spare and every client I'm speaking too is shitting themselves and cutting costs.

It'll take years for the economy to fully recover I reckon.

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Whose advised your GF to isolate? If it’s 111, they have to send you a notification confirming that and your employer has to accept that.

Yeah it was 111. Didn't know about that so thanks. Is that automatically done or do you have to request it? 

Guest MattP
Just now, Izzy said:

Only today I've seen Carphone Warehouse are closing all stores resulting in 3000 job losses and Laura Ashley are going into admin. The airlines and travel industry must be going spare and every client I'm speaking too is shitting themselves and cutting costs.

Good job the Labour party can run in 2024 on a strict financial period of austerity.:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Same, we’ve had two jobs cancelled/postponed already this week and it’s only Tuesday. 

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Tbf, carphone warehouse closures have nothing to do with this virus. Been in the works a long time. All the small shops between them lost stupid money last year. 

Guest MattP
Just now, danny. said:

How are you gloating over this, this country is a shitshow under the Tories

Yeah this is definitely the fault of the Tories. I mean if only we had a left wing government like Spain everything would be absolutely fine.

Update. 

So after much deliberation they've sent me home under the proviso that if I'm symptomless after 7 days I go back, or if my girlfriend manages to get tested and it's negative. Probably looking at statutory sick pay but that's better than being responsible for spreading it around work

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Whose advised your GF to isolate? If it’s 111, they have to send you a notification confirming that and your employer has to accept that.

One of the guys in my office had a different version of events, which was that 111 just asked him for his symptoms, agreed he should stay home, then he had to wait for a GP to ring later on for a phone consultation. Maybe different areas are doing things differently, but that seems odd and I can't see how 111 can send you anything like that really, especially as they are merely just a triage, slowing the flow through to the GP? 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Yeah this is definitely the fault of the Tories. I mean if only we had a left wing government like Spain everything would be absolutely fine.

Well they’ve been in power for the last 10 years so it’s a bit hard to try and keep blaming Labour 

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

The high street is going to take an absolute battering over the next 12 months.

It already has taken some form of battering for the past few years.

15 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That's a percentage of the people who have it in the whole population. Shouldn't the real figures to look at be the people that have recovered compared to the people who have died,  no-one knows if the people who currently have it are going to survive yet. According to this data from cidrap, in Italy there have been 2158 deaths and and 2749 recoveries which is quite a high mortality to recovery rate. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 

I wouldn't read too much into that.  It won't take into account people who had it and recovered who weren't tested. 

The other thing is that the "death" outcome is final and quick. People who have it, including those seriously ill with it might take weeks to recover and so won't show in the stats until much later.

The one true statistic, at the end of all this, is the percentage of the whole population who died from it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Fvcking morons. Someone came into our office yesterday with a dry cough and fever. Unbelievable. 

We had two of them. The first one turned up complaining he was unwell and was swiftly told to do one back home. The second sat coughing & sweating all morning till he was told as well to do one.

The prize b*llend of the day though was the d*ckhead who politely coughed in my ear as he walked passed me down an escalator. It was so close it could only have been on purpose. Good job I lost him and his mate on the platform, there could have been an incident.

I then got home to find a text from work to say that as a third member of staff was now self isolating, I was not to go in today.

Hope to see you all on the other side. Keeping calm and staying at home!

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It shouldn't do if the government pulls its finger out and does what it can to support the economy. But judging by what Preston has said today, it doesn't look like they're going to. They were rightly praised last Wednesday for the measures but its quickly becoming clear that won't be enough and if whatever they announce today is limp it then it will be an impressive fall from grace. 

My parents, both mid 70's are preparing to self isolate (No symptoms) but all there friends are determined to "carry on regardless"

It is sad, but easy to understand, isolation is far more threatening for some than for others.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

Nope, I am suggesting you shouldn't be keeping clam and carrying on as normal.

i.e  stop trying to act like it's a bit of a nasty strain of flu and make sure appropriate action is taken and do your bit in stopping this resulting in a six figure death. The Governmant guidelines need to be followed and hopefully if more of us do our bit than don't we wont end up being involuntarily locked down like half of Europe in the process as well.

And to do effectively we should be "keeping calm".