Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Try the more unusual places for paracetamol such as petrol stations, small corner shops. You pay a bit more but they may have some. There was plenty in the shops yesterday just not in the main supermarkets.

Most of the small shops are well stocked.the hour for oaps is a good idea. Asked my mum to pick me up 160 loo rolls and a few kilos of pasta

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Three month mortgage holiday for homeowners?

All homeowners?

I think they have to force everyone to take a three month holiday or some will always have that on their credit record, irrespective of what we're told about that not being the case

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

No homeowners who are experiencing difficulties. This is standard practice among several lenders.

Yep, as long as you speak to them early they often allow you breathing space to get back on track before considering further action. Repossession is always a very last resort. I assume this new 3 month payment holiday won't affect your credit score?

14 minutes ago, reynard said:

330 billion but mostly in loans. Not sure this is really going to be anywhere near enough.

Nothing for self employed or those in the gig economy. All sounds good on the surface but this is just going to scratch the surface of the problem.

You obviously missed the bit where there will be more to come. This was more about speed and size to reassure

1 hour ago, blabyboy said:

Anything coming out about secondary infections at all from the Chinese office?

no news on that. they commented that in Wuhan it was worse than we know.  but in their region which is 500 miles east of that area, they had only one death in the past few weeks and all cases had been people who travelled back from Hubei province and were self isolating for two weeks.

54 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Think a lot of people were doubting Sunak's appointment, myself included, but he has been excellent so far.

Agreed, I didn't like him in the run up to the election, as he seemed to be using someone else's script almost. But he's a very good public speaker. Could see him being PM in the future.

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Can’t work out whether some of them just don’t care or don’t fully understand. 

And I don’t mean don’t understand in a oh all pensioners are thick as mince way either before anyone starts lol 

Honestly a bit of both.

My grandad gets it and is fine with,, t, but at the same time he was a war time survivor even it was only as a kid.

He's adamant he will still do his shopping, and get his morning paper. Because the war didn't kill him so this wont lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bayfox said:

Honestly a bit of both.

My grandad gets it and is fine with,, t, but at the same time he was a war time survivor even it was only as a kid.

He's adamant he will still do his shopping, and get his morning paper. Because the war didn't kill him so this wont lol

....until it does

My old man is the same 

"been through worse than this"

"I'm healthy and strong" (he really isn't)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Sunak is reassuringly bland and competent. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Think a lot of people were doubting Sunak's appointment, myself included, but he has been excellent so far.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'd barely heard of him before to be honest, but he is clearly a rising star, and showing absolutley no sign of struggling with the role.

Looked statesmanlike and has given us some hope.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You obviously missed the bit where there will be more to come. This was more about speed and size to reassure

I didn't but it needs to come quickly. No time to dither. The chancellor comes over as a confident person and frankly more reassuring than Boris but they have to deliver on a scale not seen since the Second World War or we are going to be in a depression let alone a recession. Are they really prepared to do this?

1 minute ago, reynard said:

I didn't but it needs to come quickly. No time to dither. The chancellor comes over as a confident person and frankly more reassuring than Boris but they have to deliver on a scale not seen since the Second World War or we are going to be in a depression let alone a recession. Are they really prepared to do this?

Yes cos that's exactly what the chancellor said and its to be put in a bill that he can do whatever to increase at will

Just now, Kopfkino said:

Yes cos that's exactly what the chancellor said and its to be put in a bill that he can do whatever to increase at will

There's a difference between saying it and putting it in a bill that he can do that and actually doing it. I'm not saying they won't but neither  am I confident they will address the needs of the whole nation. If they do credit to them.

Just now, reynard said:

There's a difference between saying it and putting it in a bill that he can do that and actually doing it. I'm not saying they won't but neither  am I confident they will address the needs of the whole nation. If they do credit to them.

Based on what? All the signals point to the fact they will do whatever they can so why won't they.

I guess it depends on what you think will be needed. They're probably not gonna go down the route of helicopter money granted

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Sunak seems very pragmatic, not in a meagre reactionary way either. He knows that if he doesn't support businesses there won't be an economy as we know it in a few months

Just now, Kopfkino said:

Based on what? All the signals point to the fact they will do whatever they can so why won't they.

I guess it depends on what you think will be needed. They're probably not gonna go down the route of helicopter money granted

Based on me being a sceptical old git whose seen enough so-called government promises over the years. Maybe 1-2 trillion maybe more??. we're all guessing here though because we don't know how long the basic shutdown of the economy will go on for. We borrowed 20% of GDP each year in WWII may well be the kind of levels required again.

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Sunak seems very pragmatic, not in a meagre reactionary way either. He knows that if he doesn't support businesses there won't be an economy as we know it in a few months

I agree. As I said if they do credit to them. Just maybe the sheer scale of it might tip the balance.

Chatting away to the cashier at Tesco's just now, asking her how she was coping with everything (no eggs, bog roll, tinned food, fresh meat, frozen veg, toothpaste or cereal - but apart from that, a successful shop :rolleyes:)

She said she'd been sworn at three times today and also spat at by customers and then she starting crying :unsure:

I guess the pressure had built up all day and she just broke down bless her.

Some people really are cvnts if they feel the need to abuse supermarket workers who are just trying to do their best.

(I'm seriously getting low on bog roll by the way and ain't even joking :blush:)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

(I'm seriously getting low on bog roll by the way and ain't even joking :blush:)

Mentioned it elsewhere, not the cheapest and although Cheeky Panda has run out right now, they said they would have more next week

Might be too late, but figured it was worth mentioning 

https://www.thecheekypanda.co.uk

actually seems some of the available bundles do have loo rolls in them, it’s just the x24 and x48 which are sold out currently

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Thanks 1