Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Gallows humour is fine by me.

When I went into the pub on Friday they had sat an inhaler, a pint if strongbow and a Leicester scarf on my usual seat like I had already died. lol

Sorry to here that mate, always enjoyed your posts. Rest In Peace.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

The concern for me is with the new advice not being legally bound ie. not forcing pubs to close. Some people are still going to go anyway. 

And for independent pubs they can't claim for losses on insurance, so even if people don't go it isn't great for them.

13 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

The concern for me is with the new advice not being legally bound ie. not forcing pubs to close. Some people are still going to go anyway. 

The other concern is that it's a huge dick move to anybody who works in hospitality:  The Prime Minister has effectively dropped a bomb on their finances but by only making it 'advice' instead of issuing an edict there are few if any legal avenues for businesses to recoup losses and leaves hundreds of thousands of people at risk of redundancy.

• Like 2

Went into Waitrose as it opened in Woodley (Berkshire), queues out the door. The restocked toilet rolls isle was emptied inside 1/2 minutes.

Pasta the same, canned food isle emptying rapidly :(

Plenty of old folks, which is good to see as the store is fairly empty normally at this time.

On a personal toilet roll note - Thank God for Cheeky Panda :mellow:

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

We can say the South Korean way is correct - what we can't say is whether it worked, because it's possible nothing would work at this point except riding it out.  But there's literally no downside to what Korea did - they tested at a phenomenal rate, and as a result were able to profile the course of the outbreak faster and better than anyone.  They were able to respond rapidly to potential hotpots.  And they were able to prevent their healthcare system from being overrun.

I don't see how any reasonable case could be made that South Korea didn't give themselves the best possible chance to stay on top of this thing, whatever the ultimate outcome.  That seems pretty correct to me.

You have valid points, but this isn't a one size fits all problem.  Testing everything that moves is a much easier task when you are working in a relatively small geographical area as you can draft professionals in from around the country.  When suspected cases are spread out throughout the whole nation, then test, test, test becomes a lot harder.

Just now, nnfox said:

You have valid points, but this isn't a one size fits all problem.  Testing everything that moves is a much easier task when you are working in a relatively small geographical area as you can draft professionals in from around the country.  When suspected cases are spread out throughout the whole nation, then test, test, test becomes a lot harder.

I just don't understand why though? Why can't testing 'stations' be set up. Drive through ones at that? We have the capabilities as a country to do so. It really isn't that hard.

1 minute ago, Will1981 said:

Just been to Makro which is usually a ghost town, was very busy with no toilet roll or any hand cleaning products.

Also lots of people in there with very bad coughs.

Of course. Get the symptoms, then panic buy.

3 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Just been to Makro which is usually a ghost town, was very busy with no toilet roll or any hand cleaning products.

Also lots of people in there with very bad coughs.

Fvcking morons. Someone came into our office yesterday with a dry cough and fever. Unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Fvcking morons. Someone came into our office yesterday with a dry cough and fever. Unbelievable. 

We are an embarrassingly stupid lot sometimes aren't we?

• Like 1

Just now, bmt said:

We are an embarrassingly stupid lot sometimes aren't we?

Heard a fella on the phone in Tesco yesterday, “why the **** is he off work he obviously ain’t got it” gonna have to be a huge change in mentality across the country 

15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The other concern is that it's a huge dick move to anybody who works in hospitality:  The Prime Minister has effectively dropped a bomb on their finances but by only making it 'advice' instead of issuing an edict there are few if any legal avenues for businesses to recoup losses and leaves hundreds of thousands of people at risk of redundancy.

I think this will be enforced soon anyway. The real issue is that insurers simply won't have enough in reserve to cover businesses and the population for this for a sustained and lengthy period of time. It's a grim situation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

What avenues?  I can tell you now that insurers will not be paying out for businesss interruption in this case.  No chance. This is just bullshit.  Pubs are ****ed unless the government fronts up some money.  

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

What avenues?  I can tell you now that insurers will not be paying out for businesss interruption in this case.  No chance. This is just bullshit.  Pubs are ****ed unless the government fronts up some money.  

Reckon they could do door to door round deliveries? Could video conference a pub session with my mates

1 hour ago, bmt said:

One of my good friends passed away last week and their funeral is meant to be in two weeks, so will have to see what happens with that too. But yes you will, be worth the wait.

Sorry to hear bud. Hopefully they will be able to get the send of that they deserve!

Edited by BeardyFox
Miss spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, Ollie93 said:

I just don't understand why though? Why can't testing 'stations' be set up. Drive through ones at that? We have the capabilities as a country to do so. It really isn't that hard.

Do we?

The WHO advice is to test every suspected case, regardless of severity.  They also say that every person the patient has  had contact with in the previous 48hrs should also be tested, regardless of whether they show symptoms or not.  That is a lot of work.

Setting up drive through test centres won't guarantee that people that should be tested will be tested.

We are told how the NHS aren't going to be able to cope. I for one, would prefer my NHS staff in the hospitals trying to prevent the sick from dying.  Not clocking up hundreds of miles chasing down people who have it but don't need medical intervention.

I'm sure if we could we would, but we can't.  Even if we tried it, we'd still only get a fraction of what would be required to be truly meaningful.

8 minutes ago, nnfox said:

The outbreak in Korea was and is not just limited to Daegu and Cheongdo. They're on nearly 280k tests and rising, driven by a combination of easy access "drive-in" and "walk-in" test areas and mobile testing squads that go wherever they are needed.

I think this is has been talked about before but I see no reason why the UK cannot do something similar, barring perhaps resources.

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

Do we?

The WHO advice is to test every suspected case, regardless of severity.  They also say that every person the patient has  had contact with in the previous 48hrs should also be tested, regardless of whether they show symptoms or not.  That is a lot of work.

Setting up drive through test centres won't guarantee that people that should be tested will be tested.

We are told how the NHS aren't going to be able to cope. I for one, would prefer my NHS staff in the hospitals trying to prevent the sick from dying.  Not clocking up hundreds of miles chasing down people who have it but don't need medical intervention.

I'm sure if we could we would, but we can't.  Even if we tried it, we'd still only get a fraction of what would be required to be truly meaningful.

Absolutely.

However, it may also be a necessity in order to bring things under control in any reasonable timeframe.

A serious question to anyone reading who knows more than me (most people)

As we are in the delay stage, we are assuming that 70-80% of the population will get it at some stage and the delay stage is to ensure that we don't overstretch the HNS. I've read that most people in reasonable health under 70 will just have cold symptoms and require no treatment. Couldn't we volunteer to have the virus? I'd have it injected and do my fourteen days at home. If all healthy under 70's did that, would we reach the 80% herd immunity for the virus not to be able to spread rather than wait till we get it?

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

If the government forced closures there would certainly be some business getting money off their insurers.  That's why he's done it like this.  You're right about the insurers not being fit for purpose here, that's something that should be looked at when this all blows over.