Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Actually been working today and just checked online for the first time 

the number of deaths recorded is the similar to the worst days that Italy and Spain have suffered and only USA have recorded higher ..... thats a terrible reflection on the dither and delay in calling a lockdown of pubs, clubs and non essential shops.

think back three weeks and each day that week we were expecting a lockdown to be announced - the public were ready for it ..... those missed days are now haunting us .......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bmt said:

Going back to the annoying woman, her last video is of her ‘measuring radiation’ at a 5g mast. Only she’s using a free app on her phone (which obviously can’t measure radiation), it’s well within the safe confines anyway, and it’s not a 5g tower... 

Should be shot.

That's actually the one scientifically accurate thing in there.  I couldn't believe it either so I looked it up and phones actually can be used to detect radiation, something to do with the camera's light sensitivity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52211650

Italy, Spain, France and some other EU states want to share out coronavirus-incurred debt in the form of "coronabonds" (or eurobonds) - mutualised debt that all EU nations help to pay off.

:mellow:

`Coronabonds' sounds like one of those made up 'alt-coin' cryptocurrencies. 

I wonder if anyone has invented a coronacoin yet? 

.. According to Google, yes. The 'coin' 'value' goes 'up' the more people corona kills. Great. 

Nearly 2,000 died in the U.S. yesterday alone.

And this very telling statistic helps to put how depressed those numbers actually are in perspective:

https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

"The FDNY says it responded to 2,192 cases of deaths at home between March 20th and April 5th, or about 130 a day, an almost 400 percent increase from the same time period last year. (In 2019, there were just 453 cardiac arrest calls where a patient died, according to the FDNY.)

That number has been steadily increasing since March 30th, with 241 New Yorkers dying at home Sunday — more than the number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths that occurred citywide that day. On Monday night, the city reported 266 new deaths"

The ripple-effect and under-counted deaths from COVID-19 are absolutely as bad or worse than the virus itself.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Actually been working today and just checked online for the first time 

the number of deaths recorded is the similar to the worst days that Italy and Spain have suffered and only USA have recorded higher ..... thats a terrible reflection on the dither and delay in calling a lockdown of pubs, clubs and non essential shops.

think back three weeks and each day that week we were expecting a lockdown to be announced - the public were ready for it ..... those missed days are now haunting us .......

I was very clear about this - that lockdown was necessary - and was accused of political point scoring. Certain members were desperate to defend BJ and the government. 

Disgraceful there wasn't quicker action and even more Disgraceful people felt the need to defend the current regime, suggesting that it wasn't political. 

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I was very clear about this - that lockdown was necessary - and was accused of political point scoring. Certain members were desperate to defend BJ and the government. 

Disgraceful there wasn't quicker action and even more Disgraceful people felt the need to defend the current regime, suggesting that it wasn't political. 

And before that we had the decision to announce pub closures halfway through the day before they were to take effect, causing the very predictable and preventable rush on pubs.  That was criminal leadership imo.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

We have been told all along the government was advised when to implement certain measures for the greatest effect but they made the mistake of not contacting you obviously. 

10 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Yes, people like me.

Grim news today and if I was wrong to defend them I will hold my hands up.   I put my trust in the CSO, CMO et al, rather than FT experts, who kept telling us on a daily basis that to go too early would be counter-productive and gave their reasons why.  You can't blame the government for listening to experts and we don't know what the outcome would have been if we had taken the Foxes Talk route.

There was plenty of political prejudice to many people's posts imo.  Any government would have received the same advice and I don't remember much outcry from the opposition parties.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 4

Just now, Markyblue said:

We have been told all along the government was advised when to implement certain measures for the greatest effect but they made the mistake of not contacting you obviously. 

We're only third in the league table of deaths aren't we? Should be top with that 'greatest effect' right? 

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

We're only third in the league table of deaths aren't we? Should be top with that 'greatest effect' right? 

I'm not an expert like you how would I know. 

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Yes, people like me.

Grim news today and if I was wrong to defend them I will hold my hands up.   I put my trust in the CSO, CMO et al, rather than FT experts, who kept telling us on a daily basis that to go too early would be counter-productive and gave their reasons why.  You can't blame the government for listening to experts and we don't know what the outcome would have been if we had taken the Foxes Talk route.

There was plenty of political prejudice to many people's posts imo.  Any government would have received the same advice.

Not necessarily the advice though. It's the lack of preparedness during this whole thing. They've been woefully unprepared. 

It took two days to decide the key workers after the mention they'd keep working. They'd had weeks to prepare. 

It's not the experts, though there a

Were plenty providing contrary advice, it's the governmental infrastructure around it. 

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

I'm not an expert like you how would I know. 

I'm no expert and your ad hominem attack really underlines the fact you're not considering whether or not the government are doing a good job, you're just trying to 'win' a point for your chosen team. 

Don't bother replying, you're not providing any constructive discussion. 

• Like 1

Just now, foxile5 said:

Not necessarily the advice though. It's the lack of preparedness during this whole thing. They've been woefully unprepared. 

It took two days to decide the key workers after the mention they'd keep working. They'd had weeks to prepare. 

Were plenty providing contrary advice, it's the governmental infrastructure around it. 

:(

These numbers are depressing but I am unsure what people thought a peak was going to be.

Using conjecture to promote a rhetoric of any sort is bad form and very unseemly. In these time it is unity that is required.

• Like 4

Guest Markyblue
Just now, foxile5 said:

I'm no expert and your ad hominem attack really underlines the fact you're not considering whether or not the government are doing a good job, you're just trying to 'win' a point for your chosen team. 

Don't bother replying, you're not providing any constructive discussion. 

Im not trying to win any points merely pointing out politicians are not scientists and in something like this they listen to advise from experts who might know a bit more than people on ft.

13 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

That's actually the one scientifically accurate thing in there.  I couldn't believe it either so I looked it up and phones actually can be used to detect radiation, something to do with the camera's light sensitivity.

Just downloaded two phone apps claiming to detect radiation and just spent a good 5 minutes playing with it. One is constantly stuck at ‘extreme radiations detected’ status, and the other actually detects magnetic field strength instead, which is quite cool.

17 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Presumably the best course of action would have been a total lockdown from January until a vaccine is found.  It's not practical though.  The lights would go out, the internet the post and news is essential as is the food industry incorporating retail, manufacture, import, supply chain etc.  Of course we need the NHS, the army and the police.  There is no way of stopping this but to manage it so as to not overwhelm the NHS, but I agree, we need to ask again whether we went too late and for them to explain why.  We were told that we need to reach a certain point in the curve to have the maximum impact, I still have faith in the experts and that they know what they're talking about.

At some point a decision will have to be made about easing the restrictions when the curve falls, balancing the risk against the livelihoods and well-being of the population at large in the knowledge that people will die.  I don't envy anyone that task.

Edited by murphy

The Reuters paper posted on here yesterday shows how much of a mess we’ve made of this. They don’t really lay the blame at Boris, more the Scientists. If anything Boris was too loyal to ‘the science’. What’s absolutely clear is that we’re going to be the worst affected European country. The inquiry is going to be an absolute sh*tshow. 

Guest MattP
22 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Fifth. US, Italy, Spain and France ahead.

Although we all know its sixth in reality with China.

Just now, st albans fox said:

can only assume no one was brave enough to be the first to comment, given the numbers are grim .....

Or that theres no news source yet putting them out and they need to be searched for by sick weird people who get excited about them. :ph34r:

Just now, Facecloth said:

Or that theres no news source yet putting them out and they need to be searched for by sick weird people who get excited about them. :ph34r:

Like I said, I opened Twitter for the first time in hours and it was trending. Didn’t have to search for anything - was on sky news feed I think .....