Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Where will I get my "genuine, gold medal winning, the best in Cornwall/the world, authentic" Cornish pasties from?

Greggs

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Good point 

they also said that starting the lockdown too early would result in complacency within weeks.

lots of people reporting see more people around so maybe they were right 

Unfortunately the lockdown coincided with the change in the weather, we could of done with the months and months of rain carrying on a little longer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

Do you really expect the government to ignore the advice of the CSO and the CMO and all the government experts that are on hand for exactly this reason?  Experts that are at their disposal 24/7 and just listen to some other scientist that they saw on the news?  That is ridiculous and there would be hell to pay if they did.

But there was a reported row with the CMO/CSO experts disagreeing on it! It’s not them vs everyone else. 

The government take on expert advice on every issue they act on, so are they exempt from criticism always? Preposterous defence of govt by some on here. They took bad advice and now we’re seeing (probably) the worst outbreak in Europe. If that isn’t a time for criticism I don’t know what is.

14 minutes ago, bmt said:

But there was a reported row with the CMO/CSO experts disagreeing on it! It’s not them vs everyone else. 

OK.  I haven't heard of any internal rows myself.  Not saying you're wrong but I didn't know that or haven't heard it.

13 minutes ago, bmt said:

The government take on expert advice on every issue they act on, so are they exempt from criticism always? Preposterous defence of govt by some on here. They took bad advice and now we’re seeing (probably) the worst outbreak in Europe. If that isn’t a time for criticism I don’t know what is.

With a particular scientific speciality, yes.  The experts are leading this, that's what they are there for.  As for the worst outbreak in Europe, that hasn't happened yet.  We'll see..  It's funny how some people will cling to some reports and discard others to reinforce their own bias.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Everyone seems to be doing jobs at home, there's a queue to get onto the Wickes and B&Q website.

Yeah but they’re not selling Paint, which I need 😡 Only to tradesmen..wink wink 😉 

I’ll pm you a list :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stix said:

Yeah but they’re not selling Paint, which I need 😡 Only to tradesmen..wink wink 😉 

I’ll pm you a list :thumbup:

All the merchants are shut too, I tried to order some paint yesterday.

54 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I was going to reply saying that I thought you were being a bit generous to the govt (I'll delay judgment on that) and were being a bit harsh on the public, but......

Just went for my once-every-couple-of-days walk round local streets and Victoria Park. It was the most people I've seen out on the streets and in the park for about a month!

In Victoria Park, there were lots of people going around in pairs and quite a number in threes and fours - almost entirely young men, so probably very few who were couples or from the same household.

It was hard to physically avoid people at times. There was even a bloke exercising on the climbing frame in the closed-down children's playground - and a couple of blokes ran past in front of me, stopped and one of them was repeatedly spitting on the pavement not that far from me....

What the hell does it take to get through to some people?!? There are thousands of people being hospitalised every day, hundreds dying every day (some of them, albeit a minority, young men - but anyway, do these blokes not have parents?) - and even the PM is in intensive care.

So, yeah, you may have a point about "too many stupid people", Deb! :mad:

After seeing that - and hearing about traffic queues heading for Cornwall - I begin to wonder if this lockdown is starting to fall apart. Because if a fair number start ignoring it, I'd imagine that a lot more will follow suit, which could be disastrous for health, the length of the shutdown and the economic damage.

If it continues like that over the weekend, I'd be in favour of strengthening, not relaxing the lockdown in the short-term. Easier said than done, though - there are only so many police. In fact, I haven't seen a single plod for weeks. Admittedly, I live in a "nice" area, but I'm surprised not to have seen any on Victoria Park at any point, having a word with transgressors....

I probably should make it clear that yes I vote Conservative, and yes I wanted Boris to be my PM. I was devastated when Cameron went and Boris withdrew, I felt let down because I thought he was the obvious choice to take over, and I started to lose a bit of feeling for politics at that time. 

Maybe I'm a bit blinkered therefore now that we're in this situation and we're in a Tory government, I don't know. But what I do know for sure is that I wouldn't change anything I have chosen for me and my family whoever was giving out the advice at present. I've followed it for long enough, firstly in China and then Italy. It had always been predominantly about common sense, and whether we are led by the left or the right, that doesn't change. 

I'm in the same situation as @Crinklyfox, it's definitely not easy, but we make the best of it and come out stronger the other side. If we follow the rules, which are laid down according to the best advice available at the time.

Stay safe everyone. 

Up the City 

29 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

How about prime a slot in the supermarkets only for those wearing masks and disposable latex gloves, you know responsible fcukers.

Where would people get these masks and gloves from? Any call for them to be compulsory would cause a nationwide shortage and probably badly affect the NHS and other carers from getting what they need.

It's also been shown that masks are no good if not used and handled properly as in one use only and disposed of carefully. Considering latex gloves are being found disposed of in streets I can't see the public acting responsibly with them anyway.

Image may contain: 1 person
The Little Collector - WirralLike Page
 · 

In these strange times we must look out for each other even more than usual but not forget to care for our beautiful planet.🌎
If you are using gloves, wipes & masks to protect yourself, please, please dispose of them carefully. They endanger wildlife and might even spread the virus more.
Give discarded protective equipment the thumbs down 👎
Together we can make a difference 💚💚💚
Stay safe and well everyone x
Keep Britain Tidy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I have to say, it really irritates me when I see people wearing masks, although I kind of see why, but they are utterly useless after an hour or so and are no more protective than no mask unless you are infected and then they will help prevent the release of a virus if you cough, sneeze or breathe close to another person. And believe me, wearing a dust particle type mask will not stop you getting a virus as you will be more likely to catch it from a contaminated surface by carrying on you hands.

Maybe we should be putting out guidance to the public to tell them how to use masks and gloves properly, if people are going to be using them anyway. Even if only to reduce transmission from the asymptomatic infected. America has started recommending that everyone wears masks in public, so clearly the effectiveness (or lack thereof) is still a matter of debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Heard on the traffic news a road on the way into Devon has been blocked by an overturned caravan, which had a convoy of caravans behind it. All heading to Devon and Cornwall for the weekend. Idiots. Theses people should be sent home, fined and have points on their licence.

And sent to live in Scotland with spurs.

• Haha 1

I suspect we were dissuaded from wearing masks was so the supply could go to where it was needed most, ie the nhs. Proper masks last all day stopping chemicals, vapor and dust getting in, well they did whenever I’ve had to wear one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

It will be interesting to see the studies over the next few years to see exactly why this is ...........

I wonder if it’s because they are more likely to live with elderly relatives, our culture towards our parents and grandparents is quite different to some ethnic minorities.

34 minutes ago, Webbo said:

All the merchants are shut too, I tried to order some paint yesterday.

I decided to do a job this week as I’m getting no income support and an opportunity presented itself.

I can’t get hardly any materials, If screwfix hadn’t been open I wouldn’t have been able to operate.

45 minutes ago, murphy said:

OK.  I haven't heard of any internal rows myself.  Not saying you're wrong but I didn't know that or haven't heard it.

With a particular scientific speciality, yes.  The experts are leading this, that's what they are there for.  As for the worst outbreak in Europe, that hasn't happened yet.  We'll see..  It's funny how some people will cling to some reports and discard others to reinforce their own bias.

I’m not reinforcing bias I’ve been very clear most of what I’ve said is opinion. As for worst outbreak by daily deaths we are very close to the worst in Europe (eg our peak is at the highest), but I agree it should be done by total deaths which can only be judged after the event. I’m actually quite happy to admit I was wrong in that I thought the slowdown would take longer given how lax our lockdown is compared to others in Europe - so that’s a positive to govt policy I guess. I expected our daily deaths to be more than it is currently, probably closer to 1,500 daily per now so again pretty happy to be proven wrong there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I decided to do a job this week as I’m getting no income support and an opportunity presented itself.

I can’t get hardly any materials, If screwfix hadn’t been open I wouldn’t have been able to operate.

Tbh, it was a good excuse for me. It was the outside of a house and I could distance myself easily, but the customer was an old boy and I felt bad about doing the job. He was really keen to get it done and I get a fair bit of work out of him. The money would have helped too.

• Like 1