Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

Lockdown will be difficult to maintain long term.  Part of the reason is that the lockdown requirements are severe for those designated as being at highest risk.  This includes me, I've had the text telling me to self-isolate for 12 weeks plus on-line advice.

Restrictions include:

Remain at home unless a healthcare professional tells you to leave

You can open a window but do not go outside your property

Ask others to take rubbish to bins and walk any pets

If you need a repeat prescription, use the online service - ask your family, friends or neighbours to pick up the prescription.  Leave this outside your door

Wash your hands for 20 seconds after contact with anything from outside and disinfect them afterwards

If you share a living space with other people keep them 2m from you

Keep the time you spend in shared spaces to a minimum and keep those spaces well ventilated

If you share a bed with someone else, encourage them to sleep in a different bed if this is possible

If you share a kitchen with other people, avoid using it when they are there

Take meals back to your room to eat

If you can use a separate bathroom from the rest of your household

If you do share a bathroom make sure it is cleaned after each use

Use separate towels from other members of your family

This is all well-intentioned but I'm finding it difficult.

Jesus that sounds very restrictive mate, I'm not surprised you're finding in difficult :(

I know from the depression thread that you've come through tough times before and you've always struck me as someone who is made of really strong stuff.

I imagine it's a challenge to fill the days (there's only so much TV one can watch!) and it must be difficult to exercise too. I feel for you mate I really do, but if anyone can get through this it's you.

Stay strong Crinkly and remember we're all here to support you the same as you've supported us on the depression thread.

If you ever fancy a chat just let me know. Always happy to talk mate :thumbup:

Stay positive, stay strong, and see you on the other side.... 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, brucey said:

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

If that's the case we're all fvcked

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Lock down until vaccines it is then...unless this means it screws up vaccines too :blink:

Unless the tests that Chinese are using are not accurate therefore they've been mistakenly reporting people have COVID 19  that in reality may have had another form of corona virus or other virus. 

It would make sense as the people who they thought should be immune don't seem to have immunity for the COVID 19 strain.

Remember the UK scientists saying the only thing worse than no test is an inaccurate one...?

56 minutes ago, brucey said:

Bit sensationalist to suggest a spanner in the works given that levels of antibody doesn't necessarily correlate with immunity (threre's more than one part to the immune system for a start) and nor do the researchers speculate this could be the case, just that it has to be explored. Nor is it peer-reviewed anyway and this has become a problem with this outbreak, obviously there's a desire to get quick info (for example with immune response, timeframe is key and this maybe too short) but too much coverage is given to pre-prints as if they're fact. I think it's a trap most of us will have fallen into at some point and its not really useful.

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Unless the tests that Chinese are using are not accurate therefore they've been mistakenly reporting people have COVID 19  that in reality may have had another form of corona virus or other virus. 

It would make sense as the people who they thought should be immune don't seem to have immunity for the COVID 19 strain.

Remember the UK scientists saying the only thing worse than no test is an inaccurate one...?

As far as I know, the various coronavirus tests come with false negatives (around 30%), but not false positives. 
i.e. If you do detect the viral RNA, it’s definitely there. But if you don’t detect it, it might still have been there, but you didn’t swab deep enough etc.

Hence the comment about an inaccurate test being worse than no test. If you wrongly clear people who do have it, it’s really bad, but if you wrongly diagnose people with it, it’s not as bad.

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Bit sensationalist to suggest a spanner in the works given that levels of antibody doesn't necessarily correlate with immunity (threre's more than one part to the immune system for a start) and nor do the researchers speculate this could be the case, just that it has to be explored. Nor is it peer-reviewed anyway and this has become a problem with this outbreak, obviously there's a desire to get quick info (for example with immune response, timeframe is key and this maybe too short) but too much coverage is given to pre-prints as if they're fact. I think it's a trap most of us will have fallen into at some point and its not really useful.

They did say in the preprint that the lack of antibodies could have been due to clearance by T-cells or cytokines instead in those people.

I think it’s important to inform policy. If there is a potential that a vaccine may result in less coverage than we hoped, we could start planning for potential alternative / additional mitigation strategies to put in place, while awaiting more studies about this topic.

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Bit sensationalist to suggest a spanner in the works given that levels of antibody doesn't necessarily correlate with immunity (threre's more than one part to the immune system for a start) and nor do the researchers speculate this could be the case, just that it has to be explored. Nor is it peer-reviewed anyway and this has become a problem with this outbreak, obviously there's a desire to get quick info but too much coverage is given to pre-prints as if they're fact. I think it's a trap most of us will have fallen into at some point and its not really useful.

Plus they only tested 175 people and only a 1/3 had low antibody readings and they were all young people. Completely too small a sample and really not taking into account other factors that effect immune systems. 

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

Again, I don't believe the China story of no domestic spread and anything else assumes we are able to fully implement the "containment" stage of the disease again, which we failed at a few weeks ago.

Whether or not it's believed, it is possible to do. We failed to implement 'containment' because we didn't actually do anything (that time period was the government just labelling washing your hands as a number of different stages), it would take massive changes in approach to achieve.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

If this is true then the only way to fight it is through making sure there are zero live cases in a country through an incredibly strict Wuhan style quarantine, and then quarantining anyone who has travelled from abroad for 2 weeks (also incredibly strictly), and thorough testing and contract tracing using all means possible when a mistake is made and a case pops up.

Realistically I think this is the long term effects of the disease and will have profound impacts on our lives for at least a few years. As someone who doesn't particularly like globalisation I'm not sure all of that is bad.

44 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Lock down until vaccines it is then...unless this means it screws up vaccines too :blink:

As mentioned earlier, most flu style vaccines aren't wholly effective too but can stop spreading flu in places like care homes as some people become immune so it can't use them to pass to others. As this spreads easier, the vaccine would have to be more effective to have the same impact.

16 minutes ago, bmt said:

If this is true then the only way to fight it is through making sure there are zero live cases in a country through an incredibly strict Wuhan style quarantine, and then quarantining anyone who has travelled from abroad for 2 weeks (also incredibly strictly), and thorough testing and contract tracing using all means possible when a mistake is made and a case pops up.

Realistically I think this is the long term effects of the disease and will have profound impacts on our lives for at least a few years. As someone who doesn't particularly like globalisation I'm not sure all of that is bad.

It’s good how you changed the last letters of your name to not make it obvious.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Here's an example of proper cvnty disrespect for the lock down regulations:

I know that part of England. Proper sun trap ..... can't move for people when the temperature soars. 

It was in the news after the first weekend of lockdown because the weather was glorious and again it was busy.

Exercising her mind .... ffs .... she certainly needs to give her brain more of a workout. What if we all behaved like that ..........?

You would of thought that after being asked once .... and just cos' you know a little legalese ..... it means you can act like a complete kn*b!

Edited by swanlee

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

From what little I know about the Spurs thing I'd say it sounds like Mourinho and Ndombele acted in good faith by meeting up to exercise while respecting social distancing and the 2 out jogging together were probably under the impression they were ok to be out as a pair as long as they kept distance from everyone else.  I've seen much worse contradictions of the social distancing by regular people so I'm not going to get too bothered by this one.  Let's not allow the fact that the club is a serial cvnt made more cvnty by their request for public money to pay their staff cloud our judgement on everything the individuals at the club do.

Here's an example of proper cvnty disrespect for the lock down regulations:

I wonder what generation she belongs to. 

2 hours ago, Guesty said:

You have to wonder how much longer they can hide away Priti Patel. Journalists on Twitter are starting to talk about it now. The Home Secretary is one of the most important positions in government.

I can understand why they're having to hide her away. Her absence is damaging now; it's almost an admittance that in a crisis they have to hide her away or don't trust her. Given all the secret meetings with Israel years ago (and her 'sacking/resignation') she was always a strange appointment.

Journalists will have a field day with her: under her immigration proposals the people she classes as low-skilled workers are now keeping the country running (including nurses and other NHS staff). Plus, she has this awkward smirk on her face when she gets nervous. And the last time she was in the news she was accused of being a bully; with her private secretary resigning claiming constructive dismassal.

But surely there comes a point where the nations Home Secretary actually comes out and takes one of these national Press Conferences and just gets it over with. Or her absence will become a story in itself.

To be fair no one at ANY point has said that nurses or other clinicians are low skilled workers.  On the contrary they are the one of the key positions in any points based visa system.

22 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s good how you changed the last letters of your name to not make it obvious.

Sorry I don't follow 

EDIT: is it a bnp joke? If so, that is the most tenuous joke I've seen in a while! And I don't mind movement of people, it's more the environmental impacts of globalisation I don't like.

Edited by bmt

12 minutes ago, bmt said:

Sorry I don't follow 

EDIT: is it a bnp joke? If so, that is the most tenuous joke I've seen in a while! And I don't mind movement of people, it's more the environmental impacts of globalisation I don't like.

Lol yeah I quickly realised I’d ****ed up, and had to edit my post. I’ll leave.

Going back to the annoying woman, her last video is of her ‘measuring radiation’ at a 5g mast. Only she’s using a free app on her phone (which obviously can’t measure radiation), it’s well within the safe confines anyway, and it’s not a 5g tower... 

Should be shot.

Just now, bmt said:

Going back to the annoying woman, her last video is of her ‘measuring radiation’ at a 5g mast. Only she’s using a free app on her phone (which obviously can’t measure radiation), it’s well within the safe confines anyway, and it’s not a 5g tower... 

Should be shot.

Sounds reasonable. Do you think this a change.org or a kickstarter.com type of thing?

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Surely this shows that the body can fight it naturally without creating antibodies and that actually young people would not even need a vaccine? Which would be a plus for sure as none of those people got anything more than a mild illness (equates to a flu/a bad cold).