Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

13 minutes ago, Beechey said:

The Mayor of Moscow estimates that around 250,000 people in that city have contracted Coronavirus.

Just goes to show why comparing country-to-country statistics is completely counterproductive.

Officially, all of Russia has had 134,000 cases and only 1,280 deaths. Somehow a country with a notoriously poor health system has an incredibly low death rate...

I await the "UK has the second most deaths in the world!" headlines soon.

It's difficult to make useful comparisons and decisions with inaccurate data, that's to be sure.

TBH it's just another example of how national self-interest can be counterproductive when an issue involves the entire world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The over 70s even with some clinical problems aren't all on the at extreme vulnerable list. There's been a full list of medical conditions produced and circulated to Supermakets, GPs etc. Sure you can be vulnerable but not extremely, I'm classed as vulnerable but not extremely so I still have to take my chances getting food into the house etc.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

The over 70s even with some clinical problems aren't all on the at extreme vulnerable list. There's been a full list of medical conditions produced and circulated to Supermakets, GPs etc.

But they're classed as vulnerable regardless of medical conditions as per government website? 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

But they're classed as vulnerable regardless of medical conditions as per government website? 

That's an old quote from the government website I think, it was last updated on 17th April and doesn't look like the page quoted above. There's no mention of ages, only medical conditions 

Just now, davieG said:

Yes vulnerable but not Extremely vulnerable there's two distinct categories. If you're vulnerable you're advised to stay at home but can go for walks just like every one else but if you're extremely vulnerable there's whole list of stringent things you should/should not be doing.

So what does point 1 mean then in the government advice above? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

That's an old quote from the government website I think, it was last updated on 17th April and doesn't look like the page quoted above. There's no mention of ages, only medical conditions 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Scroll down to 6 and that advice is still there... 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

So what does point 1 mean then in the government advice above? 

Without seeing the whole thing including the 'following health conditions' I couldn't say. All I know is I am over 70 and have heart and asthma problem but I'm not considered extremely vulnerable and am taking the same precautions as every one else although based on what i'm reading more so than most people.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes it looks like it depends which page you look at. I've just checked the advice on shielding again, which is for the people classed as clinically vulnerable, and it doesn't mention age. 

I think they've forgotten to update the page that still says it applies to all over 70's. 

This virus highlights the futility of NASA's hunt for Earth II.  If we ever found another verdant, life-supporting home and if we could ever get there, any native microbes or viruses would wipe us out in no time.  We might as well colonise Mars, Eden Project style, or better still, look after Earth I.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, murphy said:

This virus highlights the futility of NASA's hunt for Earth II.  If we ever found another verdant, life-supporting home and if we could ever get there, any native microbes or viruses would wipe us out in no time.  We might as well colonise Mars, Eden Project style, or better still, look after Earth I.

I’m not sure this virus proves that, it’s barely even touched global population so far.

51 minutes ago, murphy said:

Wouldn't even have to be a virus either tbh - get there, open the airvents and find out that a particular type of flowering plant exudes pollen that causes fatal anaphylaxis in most humans. That would do the trick too.

What was it that Wells wrote? "By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers....for neither do men live nor die in vain."  That would be equally true if we humans were the "invaders", too.

That being said, I don't think such a search is "futile", as such - regardless of how we might work to make Earth continue to be habitable, at some point this planet is going to tell us in no uncertain terms to find another place to crash, and we do need to be ready when it does.

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’m not sure this virus proves that, it’s barely even touched global population so far.

Yeah, not this virus. But consider the damage this one has done, considering it probably rates only a 5 or a 6 out of 10 in the "dreadful viruses" scorecard...and consider the damage one that scores higher might do.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

Germany went back on their plans to open schools based on pretty firm evidence that children are just as contagious as adults, it's just that they don't get as severe symptoms. It would hasten the spread. Although Denmark haven't seen any increase as a result of a slow reopening of schools so it's one to watch.

47 minutes ago, Strokes said:

This is just a single novel virus.  Imagine how many different bacteria and viruses would inhabit a planet with life-supporting capabilities that we had never been exposed to?

For context, there is apparently more viruses on Earth than there are stars in the universe.  And there are a lot of stars in the universe!

It is estimated that there are 10 viruses for every bacterium on Earth. Curtis Suttle from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver compared the number of viruses in the oceans alone to the number of stars in the Universe, which is estimated to be 1023. Viruses outnumber stars by a factor of 10 million. If you lined them all up, that line would be 10 million light years long! To put it on a more conceivable scale, it’s been estimated that each day, more than 700 million viruses, mainly of marine origin, are deposited from Earth’s atmosphere onto every square meter of our planet’s surface.

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/there-are-more-viruses-earth-there-are-stars-universe-180974433/

• Thanks 1

Just went out for my daily walk at this time but had to turn back as within 50 meters we were close to contact with about 25 people either just behind or coming towards us. We got stuck on a grass verge as a group of 6 people were chatting at a point were a public footpath started causing people to get to close. We decide there were too many too close and came back home.