Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

A study on over 16000 Covid-19 patients in the UK over a 10 week period has been published by Imperial College and is currently in for peer review.  Interestingly it found that many patients had a cluster of symptoms when entering hospital (e.g.  diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain).  It also found that pregnancy did not increase the chance of death, unlike influenza).  

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.23.20076042v1.full.pdf

29 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

A study on over 16000 Covid-19 patients in the UK over a 10 week period has been published by Imperial College and is currently in for peer review.  Interestingly it found that many patients had a cluster of symptoms when entering hospital (e.g.  diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain).  It also found that pregnancy did not increase the chance of death, unlike influenza).  

The abdominal cluster is around 29% and is vastly outweighed by the cough/fever/breathless. Anecdotally, there seem to be so many symptoms associated with this virus ...... 4 were symptomatic in my household and only really loss taste/smell common across the twenty somethings ..... (away from the lethargy and varying degrees of breathlessness which were both pretty common).

and I found it odd that 4% of admissions were non symptomatic ......... why were they admitted ?????  Possibly the v early cases where everyone who tested positive via contact was admitted ???

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The abdominal cluster is around 29% and is vastly outweighed by the cough/fever/breathless. Anecdotally, there seem to be so many symptoms associated with this virus ...... 4 were symptomatic in my household and only really loss taste/smell common across the twenty somethings ..... (away from the lethargy and varying degrees of breathlessness which were both pretty common).

and I found it odd that 4% of admissions were non symptomatic ......... why were they admitted ?????  Possibly the v early cases where everyone who tested positive via contact was admitted ???

I’d imagine the a symptomatic people went hospital for other things, as was reported with Kenny Dalgleish.

28 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’d imagine the a symptomatic people went hospital for other things, as was reported with Kenny Dalgleish.

Good point - I’d assumed it was solely admissions for covid-19 but it could be all hospital admissions that were tested and positive I guess  

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

Also kinda confirms what many have suspected - that obesity should be put in the high risk category.

Also seems to suggest that asthma isn't as big a risk factor as previously thought.

More than 6,500 people have signed up for a trial to see if blood plasma from Covid-19 survivors can treat hospital patients who are ill with the virus.

It is hoped transfusing seriously ill patients with so-called convalescent blood plasma will give their struggling immune systems a helping hand.

The plasma, the liquid portion of the blood, contains coronavirus antibodies.

Antibodies are proteins made by the immune system which can target the virus and neutralise it.

They build up over about a month after contracting Covid-19.

Last week, NHS Blood and Transplant began collecting blood from survivors. So far in England 148 people have donated their plasma.

Researchers are looking through NHS data to find other people who have tested positive for coronavirus, who will then be asked if they wish to be involved in the trial.

Donating takes about 45 minutes, as the blood is filtered through a machine to remove the plasma. The process is technically known as plasmapheresis.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, String fellow said:

Aside from the seemingly endless debate about daily numbers of tests, has anyone here yet mentioned the use of sniffer dogs to identify people with CV19? Genuine question, could our four-legged friends perhaps prove to be a very helpful extra resource in the mass screening process?      

Good idea,but I suppose the Training will Take months if Not 1-2 years....Unless they have already certain trained Dogs being prepared,from other areas...

• Like 1

Seeing numerous articles (telegraph etc) about relaxing of the 2m rule... seems a bit premature considering Prof Whitty reiterated that social distancing rules will be in place until end of the year. Surely the 2m rule would be the last thing to go...

File it under BS? 

Edited by Nuge

Germany Reported deaths last 24hrs went below 100 ...under 1000 new cases. !!!

They have been Keeping on the Low side,for a a couple of weeks now...with only a oneday surge,on New cases...

Germany lockdown is Not so stringent has the UK...DIY/Garden Centers Never Really closed have been open..

Schools for older children in class rotation ( A-k then L-Z) last 2 weeks...

1 hour ago, Nuge said:

Seeing numerous articles (telegraph etc) about relaxing of the 2m rule... seems a bit premature considering Prof Whitty reiterated that social distancing rules will be in place until end of the year. Surely the 2m rule would be the last thing to go...

File it under BS? 

Do WHO agree with the 2m or do they advise less is ok?

the states could be drifting towards a two pronged approach where the vulnerable stay sheltered and the remainder of society get on with ‘normal’ lives ......

would ‘the vulnerable’ accept that ??.

this approach would obviously have the virus run rampant around the majority of the population and those who are vulnerable would have to lock themselves away completely until a herd immunity became evident.  I wonder what percentage of those without underlying conditions would become hospitalised ? 

discuss .............

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Germany Reported deaths last 24hrs went below 100 ...under 1000 new cases. !!!

They have been Keeping on the Low side,for a a couple of weeks now...with only a oneday surge,on New cases...

Germany lockdown is Not so stringent has the UK...DIY/Garden Centers Never Really closed have been open..

Schools for older children in class rotation ( A-k then L-Z) last 2 weeks...

That supposed jump of the R0 to 1 the other day seems to have been a blip. 

18 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Spain have finally been let out, Skegness should be thriving like Barcelona in a month or so :D
F75-AA121-AAA5-4-B5-A-9-CD7-D4-BC7-A9222

We haven’t been let out. We can just do sport for an hour 1km around our homes. 

According to a German colleague of mine, Germany has a 1.5 metre social distancing gap, rather than 2 metres. I saw somewhere that you can estimate 2 metres by the length of a broom handle. However, most broom handles are much shorter than that, and 2 metres is a distance that's very easy to under estimate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

According to a German colleague of mine, Germany has a 1.5 metre social distancing gap, rather than 2 metres. I saw somewhere that you can estimate 2 metres by the length of a broom handle. However, most broom handles are much shorter than that, and 2 metres is a distance that's very easy to under estimate.

9 standard house bricks long.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

I think ours was originally 1.5 metres but seeing as its more difficult in the uk to relate to parts of a metre it was changed to 2 metres 

6 minutes ago, String fellow said:

1 Richard Osman.

• Like 1