Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Why is it surprising their numbers are bigger? They have a population of 382 million people. It'd be surprising if they weren't in the thousands.

0.0009% of their population died today.

0.0013% of our population died when we reached our peak.

I'm actually so disappointed with how easily people are shocked by big numbers. It's all relative. The media wouldn't be so powerful in swaying public opinion if the public weren't so bloody stupid.

I noticed the BBC reporter going on about how we'll have the highest death rate in Europe and then threw in casually at the end but we don't know. It may well turn out to be true but stop trying to make headlines before they actually happen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well, the US has a way lower population density and our politicians weren’t saying we were passed the peak on our worst day, and we also weren’t stopping the lockdown at this point or demanding food producers remain open using a trumped up war time dictat, but apart from that, it’s a fair point.

Oh 100%, I'm not defending Trump. 

Just don't think their numbers are worth the outcry just because it's a bigger number than we're used to in our country. Forgets the scale of the US. 

While yes their country is less densely populated, their lockdown measures have also been much more relaxed. I imagine those two factors near enough cancel each other out.

The virus will sweep through the most vulnerable in society and then we'll move on. Unfortunate? Yes. Heartbreaking? Yes. But that's the reality of the situation and the time for shock and outcry passed a long time ago. Now is the time to understand the reality of the situation and collectively think about an exit plan, and then once that's done think about how we could be better prepared if ever there is a next time. 

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've said it about 10 times but I'll say it again, the penalties aren't harsh enough, hence why these people don't care.

They see similar stuff happening in America on the news and like brain-dead twats they think it's a good idea to follow suit. The English version of thick rednecks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Gove is a far more capable performer than Hancock, Raab or Patel in the daily briefings 

Yes, but he has less physical attractiveness. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Why is it surprising their numbers are bigger? They have a population of 382 million people. It'd be surprising if they weren't in the thousands.

0.0013% of our population died on the day we reached our peak.

I'm actually so disappointed with how easily people are shocked by big numbers. It's all relative. The media wouldn't be so powerful in swaying public opinion if the public weren't so bloody stupid.

Goes to show China must be full of the brown stuff, they have 3 times the population of the US, they were the epicentre of the breakout, yet no honest we only had a 4K deaths..:blink:

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Goes to show China must be full of the brown stuff, they have 3 times the population of the US, they were the epicentre of the breakout, yet no honest we only had a 4K deaths..:blink:

The Chinese lockdown was ridiculously tight, they had low death numbers because coronavirus can't spread through apartment walls and welded up doors. Thousands died as a result of non-covid related issues, but covid deaths really aren't that undercounted. The human rights abuses are a bigger issue for me.

Edited by Lionator

Just now, Lionator said:

The Chinese lockdown was ridiculously tight, they had low death numbers because coronavirus can't spread through apartment walls and welded up doors. Thousands died as a result of non-covid related issues, but covid deaths really aren't that undercounted. 

And how do you know that?

8 hours ago, davieG said:

Without seeing the whole thing including the 'following health conditions' I couldn't say. All I know is I am over 70 and have heart and asthma problem but I'm not considered extremely vulnerable and am taking the same precautions as every one else although based on what i'm reading more so than most people.

Davie have to say I'm surprised you've not had a letter from your GP, or maybe you have. Our son is 25 and has asthma and received an email from his GP practice telling him he is high risk and to register on the governement's website with his NHS number. This list is supposed to go to supermarkets to help them identify people who should get priority delivery slots.

Have to say the organisation of the list of vulnerable people seems to have been sloppy at best.

Anyway stay well and take care.

18 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

My company has an office out there - I know it was a v tight lockdown, especially so in Hubei 

the post I wrote above re cuomo’s comments today might be contributory too

But I am also quite sure that their numbers are understated  

Edited by st albans fox

19 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Nobody does, but it's common knowledge there was an increase in non-covid related deaths in China and completely outweighed covid related deaths (obviously lockdown due to covid is to blame in these deaths). 

Please don't think I'm defending the chinese government in any way, the lockdown was inhumane. 

Edited by Lionator

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

0.0013% of our population died on the day we reached our peak.

Not quite sure why you have quoted me in this one as I haven’t mentioned numbers.

My points were that the number of deaths is shocking (from a human perspective in that so many people have died). 
My main point is about Trump saying they have passed their peak, but they have just posted their largest death toll, and by quite some distance too.

30 minutes ago, reynard said:

Davie have to say I'm surprised you've not had a letter from your GP, or maybe you have. Our son is 25 and has asthma and received an email from his GP practice telling him he is high risk and to register on the governement's website with his NHS number. This list is supposed to go to supermarkets to help them identify people who should get priority delivery slots.

Have to say the organisation of the list of vulnerable people seems to have been sloppy at best.

Thanks not really a problem I’m managing to stay fairly well isolated 99% of my foods been delivered even though I don’t have any priority. Just do a daily walk and hopefully avoiding everyone. I think my only risks are if the food packaging is contaminated right when I collect my prescription.

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Gove is a far more capable performer than Hancock, Raab or Patel in the daily briefings 

Oh lord, don't let a teacher or someone in education gear you say that! He's a slimey git! Don't be fooled

1 minute ago, fox_favourite said:

Oh lord, don't let a teacher or someone in education gear you say that! He's a slimey git! Don't be fooled

How is any of that relevant to his performance in the daily briefings?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

I’m not a fan of him politically but I think he presents well in the briefings

Accepting mistakes were made for example is eminently sensible 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

My company has an office out there - I know it was a v tight lockdown, especially so in Hubei 

the post I wrote above re cuomo’s comments today might be contributory too

But I am also quite sure that their numbers are understated  

Oh yeah I know they welded doors shut, I was watching it unfold on YouTube daily before it looked like being a global issue.

I meant how does he know the death toll wasn’t much higher, they pretended they didn’t have an issue for a month and we pretty much did the same for 2/3 weeks and here we are.

1 hour ago, reynard said:

I only got my NHS letter and texts last week - 4/5 weeks after the first load went out.

I wasn't sure if my condition counted or not as 'extremely vulnerable' or at high risk so I'd been out walking and to the supermarket during that time. Now I've been told I can't leave the house until the end of June at the earliest.

I'm loathed to call the organisation sloppy though when they're dealing with contacting over a million people.

36 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Oh yeah I know they welded doors shut, I was watching it unfold on YouTube daily before it looked like being a global issue.

I meant how does he know the death toll wasn’t much higher, they pretended they didn’t have an issue for a month and we pretty much did the same for 2/3 weeks and here we are.

It’s impossible to know ....I mean, had we locked down two weeks earlier than we did, how many transmissions would have been prevented ?  China were able to do things to their population that we in the west simply wouldn’t be able to do in Hubei.  if they did have a slightly less virulent strain then perhaps they didn’t .......... nah, just doesn’t stack up does it !   4500 deaths ??. Just doesn’t compute does it .........

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s impossible to know ....I mean, had we locked down two weeks earlier than we did, how many transmissions would have been prevented ?  China were able to do things to their population that we in the west simply wouldn’t be able to do in Hubei.  if they did have a slightly less virulent strain then perhaps they didn’t .......... nah, just doesn’t stack up does it !   4500 deaths ??. Just doesn’t compute does it .........

Nope, not in the slightest.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

People talking about Russia's numbers as if they were miraculous earlier as well...

People can't honestly see Russia's case to death ratio going up every day atm and not at least feel the little bit suspicious they aren't accurate (not saying they fudged them even, just that they might not be recording deaths of non-tested people and rolling out tests in a country of that expanse with a poorer healthcare system than in the west must be near impossible) They look closer to the actual predicted death rate including asymptomatic cases.

You can't test everyone in a country that big and wide which still has tribes and has a logistical system which is notoriously difficult just when it comes to getting food etc. across the country?

Edited by Sampson

A french doctor claims that a patient with a respiratory illness back end last December has had their samples retested many times and CV-19 is present.  

we have so much to learn about this virus. How quickly did it mutate ? was it very contagious and how virulent was it in it’s early stages of development?   Infact, given how rare this evolving scenario is, how much do we actually understand about how a novel virus establishes and spreads ?????

17 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The worst thing for me is the headaches and my sleep, I keep having bad dreams and waking up with a headache. It probably happens 3 times a week and then I get stressed too as I've got a lot on my mind atm. I've tried to open the windows and keep myself hydrated to make it slightly better.

16 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Glad it's not just me feeling this. I'm getting headaches a few times a week and getting tired every day, even when trying to be productive. 

Appreciate it may not be possible for you but I've found dragging myself out of bed, having a shower and then going straight out for a good walk in the morning helps no end.

Had a fvcking horror dream about a plane crashing in Harborough last night (seemed so real too), but feel much better now for a good walk. Guess circumstances mean that's not possible for everyone to do though.

• Like 1