Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We know from s korea and Germany that effective and targeted testing is the way forward to control this thing

perhaps China’s data is now trustworthy if this is how they’re dealing with a new small cluster in Wuhan - 

They found six new cases in Wuhan so they’re planning to test eleven million people over the next ten days.

I really hope that the UK are able to implement a test and trace strategy to allow cautious lifting of restrictions whilst keeping infections under control. However I simply do not see how this is possible while the rate of infections is ~ 4,000 per day. Imagine having to trace all those contacts!

Edited by WigstonWanderer

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I really don’t think they will but would be happy to be wrong.

Ive not seen many key workers (apart from checkout staff) wearing much PPE..

In fairness, we got gloves, but they ripped after 20-30 mins of constantly handling mail and I guess they would be as equally useless in other jobs requiring manual handling.

7 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

In fairness, we got gloves, but they ripped after 20-30 mins of constantly handling mail and I guess they would be as equally useless in other jobs requiring manual handling.

Yeah but unless you change gloves as often as you should wash hands, they are pretty bloody useless.

17 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I really hope that the UK are able to implement a test and trace strategy to allow cautious lifting of restrictions whilst keeping infections under control. However I simply do not see how this is possible while the rate of infections is ~ 4,000 per day. Imagine having to trace all those contacts!

The majority of situations would be automated via your phone (if your phone can take the app and you’re willing to download it) 

7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

To be fair I don't think the new guidelines are actually very confusing at all.

Boris has just somehow conspired to make it seem more confusing than it is. All that mumbling and bumbling can be hard to follow for very long.

Let's see how this goes. I do think it is the right thing to try to do, and I believe that it should work. We can't just wrap ourselves in cotton wool for a year and expect to have a functioning world to come back to. However, nothing is certain and perhaps I'll be proven wrong with a second spike. I do doubt it.

Must say that as much as I support the measures the government have brought in, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying the fall out. 

Hopefully will shake things up a little politically.

I think the deliverance has been poor from the offset. Boris isn’t very good at getting his message across, he tends to bumble and tumble his was through sentences. They’ve had medical experts that have zero soft skills and just throw devastating news around as if it’s a nerf. I don’t think there’s many political figures around at the moment who can grab a crowd. Whereas on paper it seems pretty straight forward but it’s the way the message has been put out. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how/what the tests are they are doing at Birstall park and ride/Fosse park? Are they the anti-body tests which just tell you if you've had it? 

Park and Ride is considerably busier today.

7 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Does anyone know how/what the tests are they are doing at Birstall park and ride/Fosse park? Are they the anti-body tests which just tell you if you've had it? 

Park and Ride is considerably busier today.

will be CV tests to show if you currently have the virus

Antibody tests Not publicly available yet .....  govt and scientists are arguing about whether this is actually a good idea now - they don’t want a ‘them and us’ developing where those that have had it are selected for jobs and potentially allowed to do things that the majority cannot. The fear being that many younger people will actively try to become infected ..... v much not what is needed to keep the R down !!! 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Antibody tests Not publicly available yet .....  govt and scientists are arguing about whether this is actually a good idea now - they don’t want a ‘them and us’ developing where those that have had it are selected for jobs and potentially allowed to do things that the majority cannot. The fear being that many younger people will actively try to become infected ..... v much not what is needed to keep the R down !!! 

Did think this, but then, how often, does say a nurse have to get tested? If they are 'exposed' to the virus every day?

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Do we actually know for certain that if you have antibodies it prevents you from being a carrier? (Might be a dumb question but I have no shame :dunno:)

Worse case with an antibody test is if you test as having had it, you may feel carte blanche to do as you please and ignore lockdown, this would clearly be a disaster if you can still carry it.

19 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I hear the good old people of Leicester have made the news.  So glad I don't live in Leicester anymore.  Out of all the places I've lived my home town has been the worst in the UK

BBC reporter suffers racist abuse in Leicester street

Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Image copyrightSIMA KOTECHASima Kotecha BBC Leicester
Image captionBBC reporter Sima Kotecha was preparing a live broadcast with guests when they were racially abused

A scheduled live TV broadcast had to be abandoned when a BBC reporter was racially abused in the street.

Sima Kotecha was due to interview people in Leicester city centre on Sunday night following the Prime Minister's statement on updated lockdown guidance.

The broadcast was cancelled when she, her crew and the guests "were subjected to racist and abusive behaviour".

The BBC said it had reported the abuse to police, who are investigating.

Priya Jacob, a junior doctor who has recovered from coronavirus, was one of those due to be interviewed live on BBC One to discuss the current situation.

She told BBC Radio Leicester as preparations for the broadcast were being finished a group of people began swearing and being "really abusive" at them.

Presentational white space

"We felt really bad because they just kept calling [us] names... they just started swearing at the entire crew, which was not very pleasant, so we had to leave," she said.

"These guys would just not let it happen - they were yelling stuff.

"We were due to go on live, but we couldn't be doing such a live programme when these guys were at the background."

Ms Kotecha said she was "furious" adding it was a "sad obstruction of reporting of a national crisis".

"We are appalled by what happened and will be reporting the incident to the police. We will not tolerate racism or abuse of our staff," a BBC spokesperson said.

Leicestershire Police confirmed it was investigating, adding: "Racist abuse will not be tolerated under any circumstances."

Merc

A 50-year-old man is due to appear in court today after a BBC reporter was allegedly subjected to racist abuse as she was preparing for a live broadcast.

Russell Rawlingson has been charged with using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress following an incident in which a television crew were allegedly verbally abused in Leicester city centre on Sunday evening.

Leicestershire Police said that Russell Rawlingson was arrested by officers at an address in Glenfield Road last night.

Rawlingson, of Glenfield Road, Leicester, is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates’ Court today.

BBC journalist Sima Kotecha was preparing to broadcast from city centre at the weekend.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do we actually know for certain that if you have antibodies it prevents you from being a carrier? (Might be a dumb question but I have no shame :dunno:)

Worse case with an antibody test is if you test as having had it, you may feel carte blanche to do as you please and ignore lockdown, this would clearly be a disaster if you can still carry it.

Two things I really want to know.

1) How long does the government think it can keep bailing the country out before it absolutely ruins us, both now and for the forseeable future?

2) Do people that have recovered develop immunity and no longer transmit the virus?

I don't see how we hit ever hit level 2 on this little virometer. As freedoms increase, infection cases will increase. How long do the government think we can do a Rotherham and keep going up and down before it's over.

Eventually we hit a point where herd immunity is achieved. Will there be much of a country worth living in though by that point?

Asking these questions over and over again, it made me wonder if the government is fairly confident of a vaccine or treatment being available in the near future. They're really pushing the save lives message - knowing full well that every month that passes puts more companies and jobs at risk. For a party that's all about being pretty tight financially, it just doesn't really add up to me.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Two things I really want to know.

1) How long does the government think it can keep bailing the country out before it absolutely ruins us, both now and for the forseeable future?

2) Do people that have recovered develop immunity and no longer transmit the virus?

I don't see how we hit ever hit level 2 on this little virometer. As freedoms increase, infection cases will increase. How long do the government think we can do a Rotherham and keep going up and down before it's over.

Eventually we hit a point where herd immunity is achieved. Will there be much of a country worth living in though by that point?

Asking these questions over and over again, it made me wonder if the government is fairly confident of a vaccine or treatment being available in the near future. They're really pushing the save lives message - knowing full well that every month that passes puts more companies and jobs at risk. For a party that's all about being pretty tight financially, it just doesn't really add up to me.

Do not believe anyone expects to get to a point of zero infections until we have a proven vaccine (And even then, the anti-vaxxers...)

The attempt of the new document seems to be to move towards reactivating the economy in part, but at the same time, keep sensible, keep safe.

We only need to look at South Korea and Germany to see that no matter how prepared you are, there are consequences for relaxing the lockdown, but you are right, returning after Coronavirus has disappeared is madness as there would be very little to return to.

In terms of typical Tory policies, they do seem to have responded in a more socially responsible (:yesyes::nono:) manner of late (Even before the pandemic) the reasons for this bear investigation mind. :mellow:

But relax, the big bad Tories* will be back when austerity II (And likely III and IV) makes a return after all this.

* other political parties are available 

27 minutes ago, davieG said:

Merc

A 50-year-old man is due to appear in court today after a BBC reporter was allegedly subjected to racist abuse as she was preparing for a live broadcast.

Russell Rawlingson has been charged with using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress following an incident in which a television crew were allegedly verbally abused in Leicester city centre on Sunday evening.

Leicestershire Police said that Russell Rawlingson was arrested by officers at an address in Glenfield Road last night.

Rawlingson, of Glenfield Road, Leicester, is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates’ Court today.

BBC journalist Sima Kotecha was preparing to broadcast from city centre at the weekend.

Would love to know what he said and if it would be upgraded to racial hatred 'hate crime'. 

Can charges even be upgraded? 

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Do not believe anyone expects to get to a point of zero infections until we have a proven vaccine (And even then, the anti-vaxxers...)

The attempt of the new document seems to be to move towards reactivating the economy in part, but at the same time, keep sensible, keep safe.

We only need to look at South Korea and Germany to see that no matter how prepared you are, there are consequences for relaxing the lockdown, but you are right, returning after Coronavirus has disappeared is madness as there would be very little to return to.

In terms of typical Tory policies, they do seem to have responded in a more socially responsible (:yesyes::nono:) manner of late (Even before the pandemic) the reasons for this bear investigation mind. :mellow:

But relax, the big bad Tories* will be back when austerity II (And likely III and IV) makes a return after all this.

* other political parties are available 

I think my issue is I don't believe in the document haha. I've not seen anywhere the link between infection rate and what level we're at. I may have missed it in the document.

The only thing I've seen is that graph from his speech, which suggests that we only go down levels once we hit certain infections/infection rates? 

What I can't wrap my little walnut around is... How will they decrease if we're letting more people see each other - I don't see how they can. So surely for each level we open up, there has to be an expectation that the infections will increase. If that is part of the logic then I'm on board, everything makes sense to me. If that isn't the case, then we're gonna be stuck in this cycle till one of 3 things happens

1) we find a vaccine/treatment

2) we hit herd immunity

3) the government/public decide that we have no option but to open up and get things going again

I am very open to being corrected and someone putting me out of my misery here haha :D

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Would love to know what he said and if it would be upgraded to racial hatred 'hate crime'. 

Can charges even be upgraded? 

It depends how many xp points the prosecution has.

In all seriousness it's shocking that people still act and behave like this. Absolute knuckle draggers

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think my issue is I don't believe in the document haha. I've not seen anywhere the link between infection rate and what level we're at. I may have missed it in the document.

The only thing I've seen is that graph from his speech, which suggests that we only go down levels once we hit certain infections/infection rates? 

What I can't wrap my little walnut around is... How will they decrease if we're letting more people see each other - I don't see how they can. So surely for each level we open up, there has to be an expectation that the infections will increase. If that is part of the logic then I'm on board, everything makes sense to me. If that isn't the case, then we're gonna be stuck in this cycle till one of 3 things happens

1) we find a vaccine/treatment

2) we hit herd immunity

3) the government/public decide that we have no option but to open up and get things going again

I am very open to being corrected and someone putting me out of my misery here haha :D

I am pretty much where you are, and I suspect from your list we will see #3 before we see #1. Guess #2 is in some way inevitable that it will start to happen once #3 happens and we wait for #1!

This means more deaths of course, but that is sadly inevitable, and there will always be a debate to be had on "opening too soon/we will no livelihoods left" :dunno:

I know the immunity question is one being looked at but I wonder if its stops you being a 'surface' for carrying it?

For an extreme example, if you have had it (and recovered) and you shake someones hand who has it then you may not get it if immunity is a thing. However if you shake some elses hand straight away afterwards, I wonder if you could pass it to them? I was possibly think yes?

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I know the immunity question is one being looked at but I wonder if its stops you being a 'surface' for carrying it?

For an extreme example, if you have had it (and recovered) and you shake someones hand who has it then you may not get it if immunity is a thing. However if you shake some elses hand straight away afterwards, I wonder if you could pass it to them? I was possibly think yes?

Yes, I mentioned this earlier in the thread with regards to antibody tests. If you have antibodies, does that prevent you being a carrier?

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

You're right. Dogs can't get infected however they can still carry it in their fur. Humans are the same.