Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

27 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's into the crook of your arm. I always think of the elbow as being the outer, bony part, but sneezing into your "elbow" means you sneeze onto part of yourself that is unlikely to come into contact with others.

Ahh, I’ve never lived have i.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something blindingly obvious but if it's not even as harmful as the flu why have some countries locked down travel from China?  Bit of an overreaction, isn't it?

That's because it's much better to be safe than sorry, especially when dealing with a novel virus. The current mortality rate stands at ~2% but there's no guarantee that will stay that way because there's still unknowns as the infection hasn't run its course in a lot of the infected as of yet - and the powers that be had no way of knowing what that mortality rate was going to be when this all first broke out anyway, so the cautious decision was made.

Much better to overreact rather than underreact concerning something like this.

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I don't get why the mortality rate is worked out using current deaths now/confirmed cases now. Given you don't die instantly, surely it'd make more sense to go back x days in the confirmed cases? 

...or use deaths/successful recoveries - but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of solid data on the latter right now.

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You've got to admit, being able to build a 1000 patient hospital in 8 days is pretty impressive, We'd spend 2 years deciding on the location,  5 years on consultancy, be over budget by a couple of billion and still not get anything built.

Yeah autocracy is very efficient.  Just not very free.  Also I think we are better at these fast projects durinng times or war when we empower the Government / Military to takr charge.

9 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

You've got to admit, being able to build a 1000 patient hospital in 8 days is pretty impressive, We'd spend 2 years deciding on the location,  5 years on consultancy, be over budget by a couple of billion and still not get anything built.

Don't be daft.

We'd have a few bivouacs up!

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Sorry, it was just an idea.

😂 I’ve not even seen these pictures to be honest mate. I’m trying to avoid all media hysteria at the moment. I only come on here for footy news but gen chat just sucks you in....:@

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

😂 I’ve not even seen these pictures to be honest mate. I’m trying to avoid all media hysteria at the moment. I only come on here for footy news but gen chat just sucks you in....:@

Nor have I!

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Nor have I!

Well at least you might have avoided certain terrorist videos apparently doing the rounds. I’ve just seen an acquaintance at the pub and he was offering (like it’s a good thing) to send/WhatsApp me videos of that terrorist getting shot the police. 
Er I’m ok thanks pal. What the fùcks wrong with people?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Well at least you might have avoided certain terrorist videos apparently doing the rounds. I’ve just seen an acquaintance at the pub and he was offering (like it’s a good thing) to send/WhatsApp me videos of that terrorist getting shot the police. 
Er I’m ok thanks pal. What the fùcks wrong with people?

I got sent footage of a police car being petrol bombed the other day.... took me a good few minutes to realise it was staged for a film or tv show... looked pretty gritty!

53 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I got sent footage of a police car being petrol bombed the other day.... took me a good few minutes to realise it was staged for a film or tv show... looked pretty gritty!

I preferred it when the snaps or videos were just funny rather than sick, weird or set up.

This ones is one of my all time favs.

Edited by Strokes
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Apparently bookings at some British Chinese restaurants were about 50% down this weekend because of fear over this :rolleyes:

And what's more, of those who did brave the oriental culinary institutions, over 99% didn't have bat soup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51358742

The new coronavirus "will be with us for at least some months to come", Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

He told the House of Commons that the number of new cases worldwide was "doubling every five days" and dealing with it was "a marathon, not a sprint".

A second evacuation flight for British nationals arrived back in the UK on Sunday from Wuhan in China.

One of the 11 passengers was taken to hospital for tests after feeling unwell, but later said he felt "fine".

There have so far been more than 17,000 confirmed cases of the virus in China. Some 361 people have died there.

17,000 cases so far...

Doubling every five days...

Months to come...

So, after 3 months... just over 139 million.

t0IJhB2.gif

On 03/02/2020 at 23:49, Trav Le Bleu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51358742

17,000 cases so far...

Doubling every five days...

Months to come...

So, after 3 months... just over 139 million.

t0IJhB2.gif

That sounds bad :(

What is the typical time from first symptoms to death (or survival)? If it’s 10 days or more I’d estimate the death rate to be 4 times the nominal rate (2 doublings), so maybe 10% or more. Hopefully I’ve got this wrong.

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

That sounds bad :(

What is the typical time from first symptoms to death (or survival)? If it’s 10 days or more I’d estimate the death rate to be 4 times the nominal rate (2 doublings), so maybe 10% or more. Hopefully I’ve got this wrong.

We seem to be containing it in the West, I guess the next week is critical, but looks good so far.

Seems some get it worse than others too, with some seemingly getting better, then taking a turn and ending up dead.