Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

25 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

**** that's gonna be an absolute bitch to try and track everyone she interacted with, surely she went on the tube? This could lead to a lot more cases...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51481469

Sources say she developed symptoms after landing at Heathrow, called NHS 111 and then tested positive.

Hopefully taken straight to hospital from Heathrow. I’m sure there’s probably a lot more cases we just don’t know about yet. 
Of course this gives racist idiots a great excuse to start airing their views, quite a few incidents already in the papers.

16 minutes ago, brucey said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51481469

Sources say she developed symptoms after landing at Heathrow, called NHS 111 and then tested positive.

Hopefully taken straight to hospital from Heathrow. I’m sure there’s probably a lot more cases we just don’t know about yet. 
Of course this gives racist idiots a great excuse to start airing their views, quite a few incidents already in the papers.

Of course she's just been on a plane with a bunch of people, and we all know how quickly an illness can spread on a plane, so hopefully all the other passengers have been tested.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 19:32, Alf Bentley said:

Unlikely, unless it become an absolutely massive catastrophe, surely?

The USSR had been struggling economically for years due to low growth & crippling military spending during the Cold War.

Until recently, the Chinese economy was still growing rapidly & at least a decent proportion of the population had improving living standards, notwithstanding the lack of freedom, social/environmental problems etc. 

I suspect you’re right, the CCP are in an overwhelmingly commanding position, but there is apparently a great deal of anger over early suppression of information that may make people question their governance. It is mentioned here https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51449675

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Desabafar said:

Huge surge today but they changed the definition of confirmed case to now only clinical diagnosis so close to actual cases but idk why loads more deaths. Don't think it can be contained

No idea if the stats coming out of China are real or not, but I would expect the death rate to lag the rate of diagnosis by whatever the typical time period is between diagnosis and death. For example if the it takes typically 2 weeks for a patient to die after being diagnosed with the disease, then the death rate should lag the diagnosis rate by 2 weeks. If we accept that the rate of diagnosis is slowing, then perhaps we’ll see a reduction in the death rate in a couple of weeks time. :fc:

Edited by WigstonWanderer

On 10/02/2020 at 11:41, Sampson said:

No! And I wish people would stop with this "it's just to fill the papers" "it's just a normal flu" crap.

You can be symptomless for 14 days and no one has ever had this virus before so no ones immune symptom is due to battle it. Currently 1 person infected passes it onto 3 or 4 people. And 3% of the population does from it not >0.01% like normal flu.

Unchecked and without quarantine and international safety measures, there's no reason every person on the planet couldn't catch this and hundreds of millions of people would die.

Atm the quarenteen etc. is doing well holding back the tide and people outside China shouldnt be panicking yet. But the media and government response has been absolutely just and way more than just standard seasonal flu.ok

Just might fizz out like the Corona drinks...!!

13 hours ago, Sampson said:

Of course it could, but it could also infect >60% of the global population and kill hundreds of millions of people and there's more than a small chance it could be the most deadly global pandemic since Spanish flu if left to its own devices.

The point is at the moment we really don't know and the government and media absolutely should be doing everything they can to stop the spread of it *just in case* right now.

People moan about the amount of meaningless crap in the news or international governments being too heavy handed in things in our modern world- but I'd think that, after all the jokes about over exposure of Notre Dame burning, endless boring news about Brexit or thrre being far too many elections and politics being everywhere or not doing enough about climate change recently - the fact the media and government are going all out in a way we've never seen before to try and stop a potential world-wide catastrophic event in its early stages should in fact be praised as a case of the media and international governments doing one of the most important things they are designed to do, which is to stop the spread and inform the public of how to stop the spread of something like this. 

Yet theres still plenty of "too edgy for you" people out there claiming it's all just to sell papers or to give governments good publicity or to cripple the Chinese economy to try and stop this thing. Quite frankly, it's a bollocks opinion that should lamented on par with 9/11-truthers.

I totally agree with you in this...

I was delibrately being light,and Throwing in a a bit of a Dark  quip...

The governments,Not just UK  ,are rightly showing concerns,and at the Moment , also I feel are also  taking the right precautions,and quickly organized quaranteen centers. 

Even if people didnt move around or travel alot,such a Virus can still spread quickly World wide....

The Spanish flu Virus 1917-1918 infected more than 500 Million people.The Death toll estimated to be between 60-100 million,then about 6% of the World's population,being One of the largest epidemics,in Human history....WWI was brutal,and devastating,but the Spanish flu,took a larger toll on lives..

Just to show,its drawn out effect ...Still a young Country geograhically,the USA's life expentency dropped 12-14yrs

Maybe Now when we talk about trade,countries will realise and must  be brought into line to follow stringent food-Chain & Animal hygiene production,and their necessary controlled environmental infrastructure... 

Something Now with Brexit,und UK hoping to be Opening up and widening China,und Asia Trading platforms,could negativily influence UK &Asian Economies for awhile,no matter what promises are made..!!

Edited by fuchsntf

6 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Yeah I think South Korea is about where China was a few weeks ago in terms of infection growth.

I think Korea might be better at containment than the Chinese were (hopefully, anyhow). Less people, less area and exit points to cover.

I guess we're about to find out.