Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:
"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it" H.R.H. Prince Philip

He was os right..... Chinese eat snakes, poodles, rats, mice and the virus has been passed over to humans!

I don't think they're quite as picky as to single out poodles.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Thing that is scary about this is it's blatantly obvious that china arent being transparent about this 

I'm not one for conspiracy theories normally but there's biological research facility in Wuhan linked to the military 

This as yet un-named virus (I'm calling it ChARS- China Acute Respiratory Syndrome) has been assessed to have a potential mortality rate IN THE WEST of 1-2%, in a country such as China that would be at least 5%, but even 2% equates to 30 million dead!

There are two particularly worrying aspects to this outbreak, the fact that symptoms are not presenting for up to 14 days after people are infectious, making it impossible to identify and isolate people - and the transmission rate (which is due in part to the latter point), of 1.4 - 2.5 (people infected)

The WHO classes a rate 1 to be self sustaining and cause for immediate action.

The Chinese dictator will keep the awful truth from other countries at any and all cost.

As I've said for years, humans think they can f*#k with mother nature with total impunity, just like global warming viral outbreaks such as this are her gentle reminders of our real place amongst the soon to be superfluous species.

Edited by Realjimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I'm not one for conspiracy theories normally but there's biological research facility in Wuhan linked to the military 

But it doesn't take a weaponised virus to do this, it's all too easy if you eat any and all animals in god knows what conditions and ignore countless warning signs and previous lessons!

Conspiracy theories such as this are meant to be comforting -"well it's a mistake by crazy scientists so we'll be OK", when the truth is much, much worse, that our lifestyles make these outbreaks inevitable and the virus' are mutating to more efficient strains, keeping the hosts alive and active longer so as to infect more people.

We live in a constant state of denial as to the consequences of our unhealthy, reckless and utterly unsustainable ways of life and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

It's not mad scientists, it's mad humanity.

• Like 2

Hi I am a Foxes fan from Hong Kong. I don’t usually post but had to chime in on this topic. The news of this coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan had already been reported in Hong Kong as early as mid December but the mainland Chinese officials had been covering up the story and the majority of the mainland people, even those in Wuhan, knew nothing about it. Now they try to lockdown the entire province but millions of infected people might have already fled to other places in China and other countries. This has potential to be very serious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

Which was looking into dangerous pathogens and was only 8 miles from ground zero, plus if you want to go any further down the rabbit hole two Chinese spies were caught sending the virus to wuhan last year

25 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Really? Fascinating. And how have you established this? 

18 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

1 minute ago, simFox said:

Link is in my first post (OP)

It seems like the story has nothing to do with coronavirus and all protocols for transfer of whatever it was were followed - accoring to the Canadian lab, anyhow, though they may be trying to cover their arses.

It's possible that there was an accident that released coronavirus from that facility, but let's stop short of conspiracies about deliberate release when there's zero evidence, zero motive, and the country taking by far the biggest hit both in terms of money and lives is China itself. So, dismissing deliberate release as ridiculous, it follows that it doesn't actually make any difference whether or not the virus originated in the wild or it was released accidentally, barring the lovely warm feeling of pointing fingers - the logistics of stopping it will be mostly the same.

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

So virologist and medical doctor from Tianjin, China, Xiangguo Qiu, who came to Canada for to study 24 years ago and is still affiliated with the University of Manitoba and her husband Keding Cheng are the two 'spies' you are talking about? There is no doubt that she broke security protocol, but she was at the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg for a reason, she is one of the world's foremost experts on novel/emerging viral disease. Collaboration and information-sharing is commonplace in academia and in the increasingly globalised world and community of practice, these international meetings are not unusual. She even used to arrange exchanges of Canadian students studying in China. Saying that, there are obviously security parameters and regulations/protocol that needs to be followed in addition to the need to safeguard intellectual property and research and she quite possibly may have consulted with the Chinese government. Why wouldn't she be invited to go to the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences twice in two years? That it is construed as a policy breach however is hardly surprising. 

Sending pathogens to the Chinese government???? - because a sensationalist clickbait tweet said so in the title? What a complete load of bollocks. 

If I were you, I'd pay a prompt visit to MI6 - tell them your Twitter account sent you.

Jesus wept, if ever there was a case for the contention that internet access should be means tested. 

50 minutes ago, Line-X said:

So virologist and medical doctor from Tianjin, China, Xiangguo Qiu, who came to Canada for to study 24 years ago and is still affiliated with the University of Manitoba and her husband Keding Cheng are the two 'spies' you are talking about? There is no doubt that she broke security protocol, but she was at the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg for a reason, she is one of the world's foremost experts on novel/emerging viral disease. Collaboration and information-sharing is commonplace in academia and in the increasingly globalised world and community of practice, these international meetings are not unusual. She even used to arrange exchanges of Canadian students studying in China. Saying that, there are obviously security parameters and regulations/protocol that needs to be followed in addition to the need to safeguard intellectual property and research and she quite possibly may have consulted with the Chinese government. Why wouldn't she be invited to go to the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory of the Chinese Academy of Sciences twice in two years? That it is construed as a policy breach however is hardly surprising. 

Sending pathogens to the Chinese government???? - because a sensationalist clickbait tweet said so in the title? What a complete load of bollocks. 

If I were you, I'd pay a prompt visit to MI6 - tell them your Twitter account sent you.

Jesus wept, if ever there was a case for the contention that internet access should be means tested. 

Who knows... It's one of the theory's, no one is saying that's what happened.

My concern is what to expect and how to deal with it. I think this will spread and we'll see some form of it. Personally I don't think we'll all die, but it might give us a pensioner clear out, the likes we have never seen, I just hope my young children don't catch it.

15 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Thing that is scary about this is it's blatantly obvious that china arent being transparent about this 

Correct but the people aren’t stupid in the ‘western’ conurbations 

factories have now been told they can not reopen until mid feb at the earliest, a lot of cities are almost ghost towns with no one wanting to mix with strangers .... 

I expect the govt intention is to ride it out for a fortnight and see if they can contain it to whoever already has it and their close group. 

I wouldn’t be travelling there unless it was abs essential and neither would I want to be meeting with anyone headed out of China! 

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Calm down mate lol I didnt say I believed it but if you wanted to go further down the rabbit hole stories like this are very interesting 

2 minutes ago, simFox said:

Who knows... It's one of the theory's, no one is saying that's what happened.

Yes it did, and so ironically did the 'horses mouth'. The tweet claimed that pathogens had been sent back to China by Xiangguo Qiu and her husband, which is complete and utter nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, simFox said:

My concern is what to expect and how to deal with it. I think this will spread and we'll see some form of it. Personally I don't think we'll all die, but it might give us a pensioner clear out, the likes we have never seen, I just hope my young children don't catch it.

Your concern is understandable, any novel virus that explores humans for the first time is always a worry, because it's overcome the first major barrier - but this is most unlikely to be anywhere as serious as the SARS outbreak or a global pandemic such as H1N1. The symptoms of the coronavirus can seem similar to other viruses - in fact, that the coronaviruses are actually in a family of viruses that cause the common cold. It is likely that the deaths that have occurred so far are likely due to complications from underlying related medical conditions, though frustratingly, complete details from China have yet to be released. The possibility of mutations are the concern. PHE have a range of assays for testing and diagnosis and there is already a huge amount of medical based research into the coronavirus family. A virus is simply a genome nestled within a protein coat, too inconspicuous for biologists to even consider it to be alive. A coronavirus genome is RNA within a protein covering of telltale spikes, the “corona” (crown). Already knowing the genome sequences of the related SARS and MERS viruses speeds genomic sequencing of the new one.With the genome of the Wuhan coronavirus in hand, scientists can then connect the dots of human response - and the speed that the world's geneticists, microbiologists and epidemiologists are zeroing in on the Wuhan strain would astonish you. 

Sensationalist clickbait rumour mongering circulating on Twitter and unsubstantiated junk conspiracy theory on a football forum helps no one. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Calm down mate lol I didnt say I believed it but if you wanted to go further down the rabbit hole stories like this are very interesting 

To clarify, this is what you said...

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

two Chinese spies were caught sending the virus to wuhan last year

Which as it turns out, is based upon a clickbait tweet and is completely untrue. 

21 hours ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:
"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it" H.R.H. Prince Philip

He was os right..... Chinese eat snakes, poodles, rats, mice and the virus has been passed over to humans!

He says that like it's an insult. :wes: