Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

22 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Jenrick did seem to have a valid excuse from what I read. With regards to Kinnock and the other Labour MP: I hope Starmer has given them a massive bollocking and has said to them because of you two clowns I can't now speak on this situation properly - I was annoyed, but not as much.

With Cummings I do think there's a difference, because he's part of the team who thought up and helped communicate all these guidelines. There are people who would have liked to do what he did but were genuinely afraid they'd be breaking the law and stopped by the police. He didn't have to worry about that - he could just phone his friends at No10 if he was caught; and he had far more resources. Whenever I hear about this story and the guidelines it reminds me about a story from a care home I heard about on the radio. It was at the start of the crisis and an ambulance turned up with a person who'd had suspected co-vid and hadn't been given the all clear. The care home boss had a stand off with the amublance crew and the person's family. The care home manager said they couldn't take someone with co-vid; there was a disagreement; they were then threatened with the police because they were breaking government guidelines. These guidlines have put people in difficult circumstances.

We have one of the worst death rates in the world; care homes have been handled badly. This man it seems is so important the Prime Minister can't work without him; his decison making is important.

If he'd just apologised and said as a father he'd made a mistake I'd have been annoyed at the hypocrisy but accepted it. But it's the insulting story that looks like it's been made up - I'll save you from going through all the holes. I laughed at Trump when he spoke about injecting bleach; the whole world is now laughing at us in much the same way - a 30 mile drive on his wife's birthday with their kid because he was having vision problems...

I'm more annoyed at the government's response and their defence of him. There are people who were acting holier-than-thou at the start of this pandemic if they saw people breaking the government rules (like driving) - now some of those same people are defending him. The cultish behaviour adds to the annoyance.

Agree with all of this, the other massive fundamental issue for me is he actually knew he/his family had coronavirus and took it to the north east!

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Childish comments like this will see people ignore the rules and risk increasing transmission. 

I agree but I think the damage has been done way before any comment Piers makes online!

I think out of all of this my hate for Peston eclipses my hate for how this has been handled and that says something. As a 34 year old man I’m less likely to die of Corona than I am from boredom listening to that floppy haired cnut bumbling his way through 4 questions that never get answered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

I think out of all of this my hate for Peston eclipses my hate for how this has been handled and that says something. As a 34 year old man I’m less likely to die of Corona than I am from boredom listening to that floppy haired cnut bumbling his way through 4 questions that never get answered.

I've always found his mannerisms and tone quite irritating.

Edited by StanSP

19 hours ago, Parafox said:

Given the reasons behind his decision to drive to Durham, I can kind of understand it, no access to childcare if he or his wife became hospitalised or debilitated to the point where they couldn't look after their child who was also unwell. A fairly isolated farm in Durham, an independent cottage on that farm, family members there who shopped for him and family who voluntarily offered to care for the child if required. If my understanding of the guidelines at the time, there is the phrase "in exceptional circumstances" and to me, a sick child in potential need of care, given that he and his wife had symptoms and that there was no-one that Cummings would put at risk to take on that care of that child, is an exceptional circumstance. I think, in that situation he did act responsibly and reasonably, given that he had sought proper medical advice.

What I don't quite believe is the trip to the beach to test his eyesight. That, to me, is bollox. That is where he falls over and that's what makes me think he should go. 

What you have to ask yourself is, are all of those reasons the reasons why he went in the first place?

Or would, maybe, a man prepared to claim on live tv in front of the nation that he went for a 30-minute drive to a beauty spot to test his eyesight also be prepared to fabricate everything else in his account?

If the entire story stood up then it would have been so easily refutable and not an issue at all. What I suspect has happened is he’s thought “I need to cover up everything I can, what can I say that sounds plausible?”. He’s failed to do so and it has blown up big time.

I imagine there was a lot of time spent deliberating about how to address the Barnard Castle trip and that it was the hardest to cover up of all parts of his actions. He referenced in his tale seeing an old man from a distance and saying ‘Happy Easter‘ so I imagine they thought the risk was just too great to claim that trip never happened and the eye test was, astoundingly, the best they could come up with for it to look like a well-intentioned trip.

Dominic Cummings wants you to think of him as a well-meaning father, he wants you to think that he followed the rules as best he could and he wants you to think that any time he did break the rules there was a good explanation why (that didn’t involve his wife’s birthday). Think about the story you're being sold - if it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. The vast majority of the nation have not believed it one bit and I think they’ve read him like a book.

Edited by Freeman's Wharfer

38 minutes ago, Magictv said:

Agree with all of this, the other massive fundamental issue for me is he actually knew he/his family had coronavirus and took it to the north east!

But you live in Groby :P

• Haha 1

Does anyone else think it's odd that Cummings said that he definitely did not stop to refuel when heading north, but 'may have done' on the return trip. If he was so definite about the first journey, why was he so hazy about the return journey two weeks later? Also, if he used motorways all the way, how was he able to stop the car for his son to relieve himself in woods? If Starmer had been doing the questioning instead of idiot Peston and co, I suspect his fairy tale would have been torn to shreds. 

2 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

So to get their m,ate off the hook Hancock is going to 'take a look at family lockdown fines'.

Pathetic

Pitiful. Absolutely pathetic. 

There must be families at home seething about this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Pitiful. Absolutely pathetic. 

There must be families at home seething about this.

Good to see they are following the stay at home guidelines :ph34r:

Guest Markyblue
29 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Hope he’s caught speeding next, really think the national speed limit could do raising by 10 or 20mph 

Sooner he got caught in a pub.

50 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Does anyone else think it's odd that Cummings said that he definitely did not stop to refuel when heading north, but 'may have done' on the return trip. If he was so definite about the first journey, why was he so hazy about the return journey two weeks later? Also, if he used motorways all the way, how was he able to stop the car for his son to relieve himself in woods? If Starmer had been doing the questioning instead of idiot Peston and co, I suspect his fairy tale would have been torn to shreds. 

I presume stopping off at the hard shoulder and going off over the barrier in to the trees.

What the fvck am I doing?! Why am I making excuses for him?!

56 minutes ago, String fellow said:

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I presume stopping off at the hard shoulder and going off over the barrier in to the trees.

What the fvck am I doing?! Why am I making excuses for him?!

He said he didn’t stop on the way up. The stop with the child was on the way back from the castle

travelling up on the Friday evening with a child asleep in the car the whole way is pretty reasonable .... we’ve all done evening drives with a young kid who sleeps the whole way.   But I’m pretty sure that cummings must have filled up on the Friday somewhere in London to have made it up to Durham without needing to fill up - and he knew he was likely infectious at that time. 

add to everything that the point of not travelling to second homes is to avoid taking the virus around the country.  The intention was to isolate in the farmhouse but events took over within a week and he had to collect his child from the hospital (and his wife went with the child) - so the family took the virus into the hospital in the northeast where at that time, the virus wasn’t very common.  Had they stayed in London, then their trip to the hospital would have been in an environment where the virus was already widespread. 

he had the chance yesterday to sit there and say he made decisions on the Friday night which were wrong but he thought he was acting for the best and convinced himself that they were permitted under pressure of the evolving situation   - that on reflection this was a mistake and he apologises to thiose offended by his actions. 

the trip to the castle is a problem though -  he could have said that they had set off to come back to London and after about 20 mins he felt a little unsure about his eyesight so his wife suggested a short detour to the castle to have a half hour sit down and see how he felt. 

that would have washed much better than the eyesight trip though even that is pretty crap !