Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, StanSP said:

It's the government who set the rules. Part of which Cummings influenced. 

And then Cummings broke the rules/bent the rules. So then it reflects badly on the government. The lack of accountability for it all makes the government look worse (the sheer defence of his actions, no apology, no regret). 

Oh, I quite agree, but I would argue although it does slander the government, it should not undo any good work they have done, if any.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I am not a Tory at all, but I am able to separate any political leanings I may have from a specific situation, unlike your good self.

I appreciate that I might have appeared overly leftist recently, but I can tell you that isn't the case at all. I'm your archetypal swing voter. I just find this government so very hard to agree with that it might make my posts appear as if I'm in complete opposition.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

I appreciate that I might have appeared overly leftist recently, but I can tell you that isn't the case at all. I'm your archetypal swing voter. I just find this government so very hard to agree with that it might make my posts appear as if I'm in complete opposition.

Very much like myself then (swing) and to be brutally honest, I find most parties tantamount to intolerable once in power lol

Corbyn was a whole new level for me, I must confess. Think the situation is irrecoverable for Cummings, he just needs to go for the unity of his party and the country.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Very much like myself then (swing) and to be brutally honest, I find most parties tantamount to intolerable once in power lol

Corbyn was a whole new level for me, I must confess. Think the situation is irrecoverable for Cummings, he just needs to go for the unity of his party and the country.

Corbyn was a great disappointment. He suffered two-fold A) the media hated him and B) he made himself unelectable. Much like Kinnock before him; people voted Tory because Labour was just a mess. Why he didn't immediately quash suggestions of anti-semitism immediately and condemn it is beyond me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I took it to mean that the Government and it’s response to the pandemic must be separated from Dominic Cummings personal actions. A point that only a moron would contest surely?

How can it be separated though? His actions undermine public trust in the government and its handling of the crisis. They are making it much harder for themselves in a situation which requires a great deal of goodwill from the public.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Without wanting to be too political, isn't this exactly what the people who detest the Tories could have hoped for? People are up in arms which is fair enough but if there weren't such glaringly high profile disasters such as this then it would be infinitely a lot harder to see the back of the very regime some people so passionately despise and may in the long run make the country better and safer? Also, funny how these people are prepared to adhere to rules from a party they cannot abide. I'm assuming the most vocal of people who have launched tirade after tirade have followed exactly what this abhorrent government instructed and they aren't guilty of breaking the very rules that they are so appalled about that Dominic Cummings has done. I'm personally bored to tears with it all, I seldom keep up to date as much as I used to on domestic and world affairs because of the bombardment of pettiness that is awash on social media. I have spent the last 10 weeks refusing to emerge from a library of 1990's football nostalgia.

You'd have to be an absolute cretin to put party politics above the national interest at this time. Nobody wanted to see the death toll we've had or the suffering people have faced. We all wanted the government to succeed, and the vast majority of people have complied to that end. The problem is the more time goes on, the more the government's response appears to be incompetent at best, outright negligent at worst.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, martyn said:

YouGov.

59% Resign (up from 52% pre statement)

27% Stay

14% Don't Know

Amusingly, 52% of leavers think he should go. 

Interestingly 46% of Tories and 52% of leavers from the same poll want him to resign

71% of the poll believe he broke lockdown, 20% not.

The low percentage don’t knows are quite significant, it means the story has affected approx 90% of the poll

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

20 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

He's the mouthpiece to their agenda and is delivering the instructions for everyone else to not do it. He's literally the face of the pandemic response. If the bloke at the very public peak of the response isn't doing what he's telling everyone else to it all falls inward. 

In what way is man who has made zero appearances at DAILY press conferences, and said little to nothing about the response the mouthpiece or the face of their pandemic response?  The brains maybe.

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Under ordinary circumstances I would say he has to go, but right now the LAST thing we need is a ****ing massive (smug, arrogant, bald headed) hole in the middle of our Government.

Maybe you're right. No more crystal clear guidelines, how will we cope? lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

Bit different between assessing a whole government response to a pandemic and dragging a bloke through the mud repeatedly for what he supposedly did or didn’t do imo. 

Depends what prism you view it from.

What’s the worse action? 

the act by Cummings and subsequent sieve-like explanation despite count-acting reports written by his own wife? 

Or that the government were willing to lie for him and use language which illustrated a lesser view of complying British citizens? 

When the ministers on Saturday morning started using their twitter accounts, it took a new turn and something more enraging to sections of the public 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

At this point I’ve seen all I need to see really. If people either don’t see anything wrong, or see wrong but don’t feel he should be sacked, there’s not much more to be thrown on the table to persuade them otherwise. I don’t want to argue a point that will, at this point, just descend into insults. The lines are drawn.

I do find it rather odd though. At this point, you have rank and file Tory backbenchers who aren’t holding back in their condemnation, cabinet ministers resigning stating they can’t carry on in these conditions, the newspaper aligned with the government regularly sticking the boot in on the front page. Defending it at this point seems, to an extent, swimming against the tide, in the face of a very nasty undercurrent. 

The most bizarre is that you have the Church of England threatening not to co-operate with government. The state religion. The last time we had anything like this was Jewish leaders criticising Corbyn (in fairness, rightfully). At the time we were told by Tories that if apolitical religious heads were condemning you, it proves an inability to govern effectively. Is that much different here?

It's a new wave of Tories who historically haven't been that into politics but have become political because of Brexit.

They don't act like normal voters. They act like football supporters, loyal to 'their team'.

They won't change until they're on the 'losing' side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

It's a new wave of Tories who historically haven't been that into politics but have become political because of Brexit.

They don't act like normal voters. They act like football supporters, loyal to 'their team'.

They won't change until they're on the 'losing' side.

That's it isn't it, it's like watching Liverpool defend Suarez. It's beyond partisan, calling him 'Mr Brexit' they'll blame everything on 'the left' or the 'MSM'. It's cultish behaviour, they'll never criticise their divine leader - you've got Darren Grimes crying because Adam Boulton was short with him because he called him out for being a fan boy ('I think Dominic Cummings is a fantastic man, but I don't know him').

Whether you think he should be sacked or not, I can't understand how people don't understand he's broken the rules and refused to apologise....and as for the explanation yesterday, just wow.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 4