Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

14 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Do we honestly think the UK cares about what DC has done?

Looking at all the b/hol photos I think

red, yellow or blue

the general Public don’t give a poo

or are some going to tell me it’s because of DC That parks, beaches, beauty spots are rimmed with peeps.

Not really, regardless of right or wrong and the mileage all he did was visit his family, if he was going to crowded places across the country I'd probably be a bit more annoyed.

• Like 1

Just now, StanSP said:

what constitutes a 'non-essential retail shop'?

Just seen they can all open from 15th June if meeting conditions in place.

I'm guessing clothes stores, furniture stores, book shops, things of that nature. Good question though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

All non essential retail to reopen on the 15th June. Either things are going well or he has stopped receiving good advice. :ph34r:

We were hoping for 1st June. 

• Sad 1

To not sack Cummings, Boris has shown his contempt for the British people. They can say what they like and there is no opposition.  These knob jockeys are doing exactly the same as Brexit. It’s about divide and conquer while they sit there laughing at us. We’re all arguing about some slimy toad which is what they want us to do.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Good question, something the press could have asked earlier 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

To not sack Cummings, Boris has shown his contempt for the British people. They can say what they like and there is no opposition.  These knob jockeys are doing exactly the same as Brexit. It’s about divide and conquer while they sit there laughing at us. We’re all arguing about some slimy toad which is what they want us to do.

Ah good job the leader of the opposition has never showed contempt for the British people, by supporting re-voting on a subject they had already voted on once, before the subject had been delivered. We would be in a right old sorry mess then wouldn’t we?

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Livid said:

We were hoping for 1st June. 

Yes  they were ..... and the point there is many chains we’re intending opening about 50% to start with to gauge demand .....and if it’s there, more a couple weeks later. So you may have to wait until early July to see your local ‘whatever’ open again ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Anyone using Cummings as an excuse to put themselves and others in peril are as bad as him.

I have a feeling that people will go and visit relatives further away now, even though you are still unable to on the government guidance website. I don't think it will lead to mass gatherings and parties any more than before but if people have been desperate to see relatives, or stay over, they'll be more emboldened to take the chance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Jd sports? Shops like that i would guess. 

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Corona research news!

"SARS-CoV-2 lethality decreased over time in two Italian Provinces"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.23.20110882v1

That could be very good news, if confirmed by wider research or events.

I know this can often happen, can't it - viruses can mutate so as to become less lethal or eventually even near-harmless?

In other interesting developments, there's a bit of a furore over in Germany. Bild the German tabloid is going in hard on Christian Drosten, the virologist who produced the paper which indicated children are just as contagious as adults. As a result of his paper they delayed their reopening schools however the paper argues the paper is flawed. So there's a bit of a power struggle going on there too.  

And in the Netherlands, there's only been 8 hospital admissions in the past 24 hours despite gradual reopening. R rate there is also 0.7-1. https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/rivm-acht-gemelde-sterfgevallen-en-acht-nieuwe-ziekenhuisopnames~af43857b/?referrer. The German R rate is also at 0.83 currently.  

Edited by Lionator

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That could be very good news, if confirmed by wider research or events.

I know this can often happen, can't it - viruses can mutate so as to become less lethal or eventually even near-harmless?

Yes for sure! 

Whatever the case it shows that lockdown was worth it, these couple of months will have saved more lives.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

So either they lied yesterday or he lied to them.

Exactly. Whilst at the time either he’s telling fibs with the story or his wife is incorrect in her Spectator article. 

People (and it’s not just this forum) are missing the point regards the breaking of rules. People will stride onto a beach or park as they already were doing. You can do those acts with social distancing dependent on numbers. That was happening before. 

However we are now more likely to have people invited around each other’s households. Some of those households containing the at risk. It will start as two or three houses already have on my street - someone around for a cup of tea, then the next visitor brings their family and then it’s more. The old ‘one cup of tea ain’t gonna hurt is it?’ It’s a subconscious thought. We ‘ape’. It’s in our human nature 

20 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Corona research news!

The outcomes: The death rate is decreasing based on several potential factors, mutation to less deadly disease and most important doctors are getting better at treating it because they understand it!

Just on the treatment - it may have been on here or the Sunday Times article but there was a great trend in how doctors are getting better at treatment 

Hence I’ve personally advocated that if we just hold on a little longer, it gives the doctors time to understand it further 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just on the treatment - it may have been on here or the Sunday Times article but there was a great trend in how doctors are getting better at treatment 

Hence I’ve personally advocated that if we just hold on a little longer, it gives the doctors time to understand it further 

This was always going to be the case! In another two more months time we might be on the cusp of a effective candidate vaccine and workable treatments. The world has come so far in such a short time despite a lot of shortcomings, we're so fortunate to live in the scientific era that we do. 

• Like 4

No doubt Cummings is penning in loss of eyesight into the symptoms listed in the guidance this evening.

A little miffed he's got away with it and even more miffed that the media hasn't challenged him or Bojo regarding the change to guidelines on caring for children after his tour to the north east.

Also worth a mention is his body language when going into why he visited the beauty spot.  Lurched forward, stuttered, arms closely folded - I'm no psychologist but that was a clearly the look of someone not being straight. Completely relaxed again once he mentioned being spotted.  In other words, own up to that, but how he got there, loss of eyesight - that's the best he can come up with?  Joker.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yes.

For all the people you see at the parks/beaches, there's bound to be several more still in similar situations as they've been in the past 9 weeks. Unable to see their parents/grandparents/loved ones or unable to go to funerals as they usually would.

No-one would say it's because of him that they're all packed. They'd be pretty stupid to do so....

He's hardly helped the situation though has he?

It surely goes back to trust in the government at this moment in time in my opinion. It's no doubt dwindled in the past 2-3 days as this story has come out. 

Given the reasons behind his decision to drive to Durham, I can kind of understand it, no access to childcare if he or his wife became hospitalised or debilitated to the point where they couldn't look after their child who was also unwell. A fairly isolated farm in Durham, an independent cottage on that farm, family members there who shopped for him and family who voluntarily offered to care for the child if required. If my understanding of the guidelines at the time, there is the phrase "in exceptional circumstances" and to me, a sick child in potential need of care, given that he and his wife had symptoms and that there was no-one that Cummings would put at risk to take on that care of that child, is an exceptional circumstance. I think, in that situation he did act responsibly and reasonably, given that he had sought proper medical advice.

What I don't quite believe is the trip to the beach to test his eyesight. That, to me, is bollox. That is where he falls over and that's what makes me think he should go. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Corona research news!

The outcomes: The death rate is decreasing based on several potential factors, mutation to less deadly disease and most important doctors are getting better at treating it because they understand it!

47 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

38 minutes ago, Lionator said:

This was always going to be the case! In another two more months time we might be on the cusp of a effective candidate vaccine and workable treatments. The world has come so far in such a short time despite a lot of shortcomings, we're so fortunate to live in the scientific era that we do. 

Really is excellent news. If you’re correct, you’d hope as long as the vulnerable are shielded properly and the correct provisions are taken that we may well be able to function not too far from normal come the autumn, and even then not suffer a second wave! Fingers crossed and as you say, thankful we live in the time we do!