Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Youri Tielemans

8 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-need-change-luke-4340166.amp

Good article. Obviously the author has read through some of the comments on FT.

All agreed, except the jury is still out re his point re Tielemans and Maddison - but certainly I agree that Maddison seems more at home in front as his quick feet is better served there while him playing deeper (no disrepect) slows things down too much as he has a tendency to dance around and waste precious seconds or pick the wrong pass whereas Tielemans is just a better midfield orchestrator and creator.

Again, as discussed before in my previous posts, I think BR has had the formation and player roles wrong before: now we have a better formation that suit our players more and when Maddison returns he would be better near the front instead of playing deeper. Round pegs through round holes please. We saw this a few games ago.

Where does he fit in the system? Would you take Perez out of the middle? I wouldn’t he’s been great in that middle role. Could perhaps play madders wide (not wife) left for Barnes. But that would mean madders often drifting in the middle as he likes too and leaving any defensive duties a little lacking imo. 

Edited by casablancas
Stoopid phone.

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

Where does he fit in the system? Would you take Perez out of the middle? I wouldn’t he’s been great in that middle role. Could perhaps play madders wife left for Barnes. But that would mean madders often drifting in the middle as he likes too and leaving any defensive duties a little lacking imo. 

..you can see now why Chillers doesn't trust him!!!

Sad state of affairs.

• Haha 4

One way or another, we will have a lot of games next season. I don't think having Perez and Maddison occupying the same position is a problem - it gives us options, and helps us manage them. Perez is excellent at harrying, Maddison is more creative.

On topic: Youri's pass to Vardy when he hit the post against Sheff United was glorious. One touch, slide rule pass. Glorious. That's the Youri we all fell in love with and stalked on a plane over here 😘

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, casablancas said:

Where does he fit in the system? Would you take Perez out of the middle? I wouldn’t he’s been great in that middle role. Could perhaps play madders wide (not wife) left for Barnes. But that would mean madders often drifting in the middle as he likes too and leaving any defensive duties a little lacking imo. 

We've seen so many times now that Madders is pretty much a fish out of water when out wide, its been commented on so many times before. As for him replacing Perez? Every day of the week for me. Let's not get carried away here, yes, I grant you Perez is better down the middle than wide, yes he has good close control but ... he's still weak, still loses possession and still contributes very little. Yes he scored a goal (if you play that many minutes, its bound to happen sooner or later). Yes, he made about 2 good passes, but he was largely anonymous and missing, as per usual for most of the game. Don't let endeavour and running around a lot mixed up with meaningful contribution. At best he's a sub but, would he really make you sit up in your seat as an impact sub compared with say Iheanacho or Barnes who are likely to add something that could make a difference? Maddison and Tielemans or Praet are very decent players when played correctly and not micromanaged too much to try and make them fulfil a philosophy rather than to win a football match. Round pegs, round holes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, casablancas said:

I think the current system is due to who available players wise, I think we will go back to a 4 back when everyone is fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CloudFox said:

One way or another, we will have a lot of games next season. I don't think having Perez and Maddison occupying the same position is a problem - it gives us options, and helps us manage them. Perez is excellent at harrying, Maddison is more creative.

On topic: Youri's pass to Vardy when he hit the post against Sheff United was glorious. One touch, slide rule pass. Glorious. That's the Youri we all fell in love with and stalked on a plane over here 😘

Perhaps Perez could be specially used in games his pressing ability would better serve us, and Maddison the majority of the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casablancas said:

Good question. Indeed, maybe Madders in for Barnes on the mid left or Perez depending on form. Perez is pretty good in that central role just behind Vardy, and he is a better finisher. It is a good problem to have.

In the right games though, I would even consider Madders in for Ndidi, but Praet would be better suited. Anyway, BR is too defensively minded so that would not happen.

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I think the current system is due to who available players wise, I think we will go back to a 4 back when everyone is fit.

This is recipe for boring Puel ball again with our squad. We can only play better attractive football using this formation by playing the right players (round pegs for round holes). The problem with this formation and the players BR favoured is that, as I have well discussed here on FT, we cannot get the ball out of our back 4 effective and quick enough. Ricardo is ok on the right, but whenever we go left, Chilly in this system simply stifles our flow. Ndidi, while a beast defensively, is just not good enough in getting the ball upfield to the right player fast and accurate enough - I feel he can improve though (he does seem to have the brain for this improvement). In this system, BR often make Madders drop back which is a mistake as it does not suit him and it takes Tielemans, who is better in this role actually, out of his natural game.  So with this we often end up passing backwards (usually when the ball got to Chilly or Ndidi) or moving the ball around too slowly. We got found out by other teams - they just need to press upfield (and try to hurry us into passing to the left) and our back 4 (except for Ricardo) plus Ndidi just did not have the number and skills to move the the ball upfield effectively.  Very easy to defend.  Back 5 is better as there is more support when we try to pass around even when pressed and this also allows Tielemans to drop back to help Ndidi. Tielemans has excellent vision and more accurate long range passing so he can orchestrate better from deeper in midfield with more support around. Maddison is just not as good in this role, but yet because of his wish to “dominate” his ineffectiveness in this role is multiplied.

Remember this post when we play boring football again with back 4 and Chilly and Maddison playing the same roles as BR had them played before. I hope BR has learnt from the past few games.

Edited by Tom12345

Since Palace at home he has been showing a real upturn in form, even vs Bournemouth in the 1st half he looked very good. I've managed to watch the extended highlights of Thursdays game and he looked like he bossed it. Welcome back Star Man. 

• Like 2

On 17/07/2020 at 02:36, Vardinio'sCat said:

Really purring today. Lean, mean and more comfortable in his role.

In many ways this game sat up nicely for him, and he worked really hard to get that result. Massively impressed.

The guy is still too over weight.  Last season he was leaner and hungrier

9 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

This is recipe for boring Puel ball again with our squad. We can only play better attractive football using this formation by playing the right players (round pegs for round holes). The problem with this formation and the players BR favoured is that, as I have well discussed here on FT, we cannot get the ball out of our back 4 effective and quick enough. Ricardo is ok on the right, but whenever we go left, Chilly in this system simply stifles our flow. Ndidi, while a beast defensively, is just not good enough in getting the ball upfield to the right player fast and accurate enough - I feel he can improve though (he does seem to have the brain for this improvement). In this system, BR often make Madders drop back which is a mistake as it does not suit him and it takes Tielemans, who is better in this role actually, out of his natural game.  So with this we often end up passing backwards (usually when the ball got to Chilly or Ndidi) or moving the ball around too slowly. We got found out by other teams - they just need to press upfield (and try to hurry us into passing to the left) and our back 4 (except for Ricardo) plus Ndidi just did not have the number and skills to move the the ball upfield effectively.  Very easy to defend.  Back 5 is better as there is more support when we try to pass around even when pressed and this also allows Tielemans to drop back to help Ndidi. Tielemans has excellent vision and more accurate long range passing so he can orchestrate better from deeper in midfield with more support around. Maddison is just not as good in this role, but yet because of his wish to “dominate” his ineffectiveness in this role is multiplied.

Remember this post when we play boring football again with back 4 and Chilly and Maddison playing the same roles as BR had them played before. I hope BR has learnt from the past few games.

Stopped reading at this point if you think Riccardo is just ok.........

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

The guy is still too over weight.  Last season he was leaner and hungrier

Think of how disjointed his preseason was. Unsure of his future, fewer weeks of actual fitness training and then there's the level of expectation which I doubt has been higher for a player because we had seen just how good he was.

Depending on how pre season pans out this year, it could make a huge difference for him. Talent wise, the last few games have really shown why the general consensus is that he could be one of the best players of his generation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Think of how disjointed his preseason was. Unsure of his future, fewer weeks of actual fitness training and then there's the level of expectation which I doubt has been higher for a player because we had seen just how good he was.

Depending on how pre season pans out this year, it could make a huge difference for him. Talent wise, the last few games have really shown why the general consensus is that he could be one of the best players of his generation.

Unfortunately this is what happened with him at his old club.  Personally I think it's about Hunger and drive, he needed a move and he came to us to prove a point.  Now he is comfortable.

19 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Unfortunately this is what happened with him at his old club.  Personally I think it's about Hunger and drive, he needed a move and he came to us to prove a point.  Now he is comfortable.

See I'm not having that at all, you don't go to a lesser club to coast at 23. Especially when you are renown to be a model professional, it doesn't make sense. Sadly I think the reason he came to us and not immediately got a move to Utd or Spurs etc was because he has spells of poor form and his lack of pace means there's a certain way the team around him have to set up to get the best out of him.

I am still hugely grateful we managed to get him and I think he will go on to be one of our best midfielders of a generation.

27 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Yes, because Monaco has been a really well run club in the last few years...

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

See I'm not having that at all, you don't go to a lesser club to coast at 23. Especially when you are renown to be a model professional, it doesn't make sense. Sadly I think the reason he came to us and not immediately got a move to Utd or Spurs etc was because he has spells of poor form and his lack of pace means there's a certain way the team around him have to set up to get the best out of him.

I am still hugely grateful we managed to get him and I think he will go on to be one of our best midfielders of a generation.

Class is permanent, but you need to be in a position to show it, that take fitness and hunger, all the things that the man showed last season.

He has been sloppy, turged etc, this inhistory repeating itself, he ws awesome and got into the Belgium team, and just like now, he is off.the boil.