Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Youri Tielemans

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Will have a blinder tonight, 25 yarder incoming.

He should shoot anytime he gets a half chance on the edge of the area , as I have said before deflections can defeat organised defence.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

He should shoot anytime he gets a half chance on the edge of the area , as I have said before deflections can defeat organised defence.

And with VAR there's always a chance the ball will smack an arm and lead to a penalty

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Will have a blinder tonight, 25 yarder incoming.

I find it weird how little he shoots from outside the box. We've all seen him score bangers for fun at Monaco and Anderlecht. Have a dig son.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I find it weird how little he shoots from outside the box. We've all seen him score bangers for fun at Monaco and Anderlecht. Have a dig son.

His long range shooting whilst with us has been surprisingly poor but as you say he had a history of absolute ripsnorters at Anderlecht and Monaco. There was one game early in to his career at Anderlecht where he came on with them trailing 1-0 and scored a right foot thunderbolt and then a left foot thunderbolt and won them the game.

As others have said if he picks the ball up in transition he has a knack of just doing the right thing with it. Be that a cross for Iheanacho at the weekend or a 20 yarder like against Huddersfield last season. The talent is definitely there, I hope the new system brings out the best in him because on his day he’s great to watch.

11 minutes ago, Crashtoasted said:

As others have said if he picks the ball up in transition he has a knack of just doing the right thing with it. Be that a cross for Iheanacho at the weekend or a 20 yarder like against Huddersfield last season. The talent is definitely there, I hope the new system brings out the best in him because on his day he’s great to watch.

Chilwell gets into that position Tielemans did v Palace about 5 times a game and his final ball is usually poor. First time Youri got in that sort of position resulted in a goal. I know the keeper had a mare but only because the ball in was quality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Chilwell gets into that position Tielemans did v Palace about 5 times a game and his final ball is usually poor. First time Youri got in that sort of position resulted in a goal. I know the keeper had a mare but only because the ball in was quality.

if you put quality balls into the box, with players looking to get on the end of them, then defences will make mistakes. A low driven cross to the edge of the six yard box puts defenders into all sorts of trouble, often facing their own goal, and if you have someone like Vardy breathing down your neck there is every chance that they will panic and concede something

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Strong finish too the season please Youri

Interesting to compare he's PL stats against Drinkwater (City Apps only)

Overall:

Youri;  Apps 45, 6 goals, 10 Assists 

Drinkwater Apps 87, 3 goals, 8 Assist 

Youri this season compared to Drinkwater title season:

Youri;  Apps 32, 3 goals, 6 Assists 

Drinkwater Apps 35, 2 goals, 7 Assist 

Just a interesting comparison, I think Youri gets a lot of stick at time mainly because his not the most athletic player and his price tag!

Talking of price tag!

What Chelsea got for 35m   Apps 19, 1 Goal, 0 Assists 

What we got for 40m:          Apps 45, 6 goals, 10 Assists 

John Percy actually says Tielemans cost us £32m, so less than we sold Drinkwater for :cool:

King Rudkin!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

His long range shooting whilst with us has been surprisingly poor but as you say he had a history of absolute ripsnorters at Anderlecht and Monaco. There was one game early in to his career at Anderlecht where he came on with them trailing 1-0 and scored a right foot thunderbolt and then a left foot thunderbolt and won them the game.

I don't think he shoots enough, for me he seems to be operating too deep for us, I like him on the ball in the final third, where he can hurt people like against palace for the goal.

He must be do a long ranger hopefully gets one tonight......  

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

It now seems that Youri needs to be the decision maker in midfield to get the best out of him , which presents us with a problem with Maddison. Rodgers can rotate which is precisely what Guardiola does but some want them in the team together which is working less and less. How things have changed for Maddison hey , all the England hype , the Man. Utd. mania ( who have no need of him at all with Fernandes). He remains a key player for us however and Rodgers will have to find a way of getting the best out of both of them , but at the moment Tielemans has the job of masterminding our midfield.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

It now seems that Youri needs to be the decision maker in midfield to get the best out of him , which presents us with a problem with Maddison. Rodgers can rotate which is precisely what Guardiola does but some want them in the team together which is working less and less. How things have changed for Maddison hey , all the England hype , the Man. Utd. mania ( who have no need of him at all with Fernandes). He remains a key player for us however and Rodgers will have to find a way of getting the best out of both of them , but at the moment Tielemans has the job of masterminding our midfield.

Flog Maddison for £75m to Man Utd and then slip them £5m compensation for Angel Gomes and get Adil Aouchiche on a free from PSG. Sorted

Maddison has got it in his head he has to play deeper in order to get an England spot. Maddison’s best performances this season have came off the left wing or attacking midfield in differing formations. 

Let Youri do the 8 role and Maddison should be instructed to occupy the space in front of oppositions defences. Don’t plau Maddison to a centre midfield role which stifles his best qualities. In process it doesn’t allow Youri either the option of breaking the lines with passing (So we get sideways passing) and the space gets congested 

• Like 1

Our best games this season have come when Maddison and Tielemans operate in different lines of the pitch and alternate. I've said times that the reason Manchester City were so successful with De Bruyne and Silva is because they were always quite far apart, both vertically up the pitch and horizontally. When you have two 'interior' midfielders operating at different lines in the pitch, it either drags a CB/DM out of position or a full-back/winger into the middle, both of which create space.

We start too many games with Maddison and Tielemans rigidly equidistant from Ndidi, as though they're on 20 yard leads from him. When Maddison drops deep and Youri presses (as seen late last season) or the other way around (e.g. in a more 4-2-3-1 type setup) we tend to be able to break teams down more.

With Ndidi and Tielemans as a pair and Perez further forward, you basically achieve that, but it's less effective as Tielemans has more defensive responsibility given Perez is so central and not shuttling across into the left or right channel as a no.8 would.

They are both excellent no.8s, and I would say very similar players. They both have a bit of bite, neither are fast, Maddison has a bit more about him on the ball as opposed to the quality of pass, but that's about it. They just need to not occupy the same space all the time.

Maybe a 4-2-3-1 might be the long term way to go, if Rodgers thinks Tielemans is up to playing a deeper role more often. It'd be interesting to see what a trio of Barnes/Pérez/Gray could do behind Vardy for example on Sunday.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

He's better than Maddison. I have no doubt. 

I'd happily flog Maddison - I don't think we've ever had a player so rated by other club's fans that I don't think that much of. Really not bothered he's injured.

Blimey..bit harsh!

How many lashes?

On 07/07/2020 at 10:37, coolhandfox said:

Overall:

Just a interesting comparison, I think Youri gets a lot of stick at time mainly because his not the most athletic player and his price tag!

Talking of price tag!

This has really surprised me if I’m honest. He’s actually doing well then, pleased with that 🙂

On 07/07/2020 at 11:17, Ric Flair said:

I think it’s because he plays too deep at the moment? It makes me sad because he is actually a quality player. I remember his debut for Belgium, he came on and twatted a shot from 30 off yards which kissed the cross bar. Where’s that Youri, Brendan sort him out please......

On 07/07/2020 at 11:37, coolhandfox said:

Overall:

Talking of price tag!

What a silly comparison. You may as well compare him with Pulisic if you're going to compare him with Drinkwater.

People on here love to hate on Drinkwater but he was an integral part of the greatest result we've ever had in football and he knew how to pass a ball forward to Vardy. When YT helps us win the premiership you can come back and compare him to Drinky.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

What a silly comparison. You may as well compare him with Pulisic if you're going to compare him with Drinkwater.

People on here love to hate on Drinkwater but he was an integral part of the greatest result we've ever had in football and he knew how to pass a ball forward to Vardy. When YT helps us win the premiership you can come back and compare him to Drinky.

On that basis, are we banned from comparing Harvey Barnes with Jeff Schlupp?

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

On that basis, are we banned from comparing Harvey Barnes with Jeff Schlupp?

I wouldn't ban anyone I just pointed out it's a silly comparison. May as well compare Kanté to YT, YT would look great but we all know we'd give YT and £50m for the boy Kanté was.

btw I always liked Jeff, he's still better than Dimi.