Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Manini

Adam Lallana

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Is it just me who thought Iborra was, mainly, fine? I can understand people being annoyed at Silva and Inler being underwhelming but I’m not sure what people were expecting out of Iborra? He always did a job when I saw him. 

I liked Iborra but a total of 27 appearances suggests he wasn't exactly a roaring success here

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Just go back one more season and you've got Cambiasso who was incredibly influential for us.

Besides, all of those have came in from abroad and had to adapt (Silva under extenuating circumstances). Lallana is tried-and-tested in the PL, English, and has worked with Rodgers before. We know exactly what we're getting with him.

True.

Decent squad player. Never liked his behaviour against us though; very sly fouls, very mouthy at refs & opposition players, just never liked him for all of it. Technically superb though, would certainly add something to the squad with his experience and skill.

He's been mentioned here occasionally over the last year or so, so not at all surprised with the link

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

You must have noticed that we've gone from getting the likes of Tielemans, Soyuncu etc in to now prioritising unambitious and limited value domestic transfers such as Perez and then Vestergaard and Ryan Bennett and now Lallana. It's pretty obvious. What's changed in that time?

Concerns me too, no player they've brought in has improved us yet taking away Tielemans who the prevoious regime brought in. It seems like the only way we could get Rodgers was for Congerton to follow him here but Macia was high profile with contacts in Europe to enable these type of signings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

You must have noticed that we've gone from getting the likes of Tielemans, Soyuncu etc in to now prioritising unambitious and limited value domestic transfers such as Perez and then Vestergaard and Ryan Bennett and now Lallana. It's pretty obvious. What's changed in that time?

Perez is fine he is apart of team that is 3rd in the league and having our second best EVER season. Bennett hasnt even kicked a ball yet and Vestergaard isnt even our player - it doesnt matter if we were 'linked' with him he didnt sign for us. 

Our squad lacks experience in big games and picking someone up on a free transfer that has as much as Lallana has is an absolute no brainer. 

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I liked Iborra but a total of 27 appearances suggests he wasn't exactly a roaring success here

No by no means was he - but he wasn’t a complete waste of time either. I wouldn’t necessarily class him as flops like the other two is I think what I’m trying to say. 

• Like 2

If he can be fit for a whole season, it isn't something stupid like a 5 year contract and he takes a pay-cut then sure.

Otherwise, I just see this going wrong. Another constantly injured player we will have to pay until their contract runs out.

He'd be a good player to sign on a free transfer. He fits into the way we play.

Liverpool signed him because his footwork is brilliant and he's got the ability to unlock a defence. Plus he scores a few.

Still got a few years left in him i think. You need a few experienced players in the squad who can contribute.

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I see the argument, but several names are missing from the list, such as Benkovic, Praet, JJ, players that not like the three you listed.

Soyuncu is another that is different, now he is amazing, yet last year he was viewed as a waste, possibly more than Benkovic.

Not keen on some of the names being mentioned, yet rarely do they zero merits.

Cannot believe Top, Rudkin and the rest just hand over the purse strings to Congerton without restraint, especially with the previous successes mentioned.

• Like 1

People acting like he is going to be starting for us every week

With Champions League football we need depth and experience, someone to come in against the weaker teams so Maddison can have a rest

Do people really think we can do what Man City do and just go out and throw a load of money at players that will sit on the bench?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manini said:

We could do with more of this in our team IMO. Stop us being completely passive. 

Was literally about to say this

We haven't had a mouthy, nasty little bugger on the pitch for far to long. 

Hence why we get bullied most weeks

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

With Champions League football we need depth and experience, someone to come in against the weaker teams so Maddison can have a rest

Do people really think we can do what Man City do and just go out and throw a load of money at players that will sit on the bench?

I honestly think a lot of people do think this. 

• Like 4

My point is that if, as said, Rodgers refuses to operate without Congerton, who does not have a good track record,  at the club, then alarm bells should be ringing.

We have already begun to see the limitations to Rodgers' management and yes while he is a good manager, I wouldn't say we have won the lottery with him and he's the best manager we could possibly hope to get. Therefore, we shouldn't be afraid of making a change if its needed.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Come on mate we were also very heavily linked with Demiral from Juve in January - rumoured to have made a bid. The Lallana deal is the other side of the spectrum and much needed approach for a club on a budget trying to compete on national and European level (as we hope to be next year). You need a squad with experience alongside young talent. That lack of experience has at times shown this season (think big games, villa away etc.). Lallana is obviously a player Brendan trusts and who he sees as someone that can help the dressing room. Our European experience is at the moment limited to Kasper, Vardy, Albrighton having one season in a champions league campaign with no pressure on the league. 

The Bennett deal was certainly not our first choice but because other deals didn’t come through, we backed ourselves with an experienced steady hand which didn’t break the bank - I think that’s quite sensible.

The club have done well in the last few years and Top is not going to just let us change a format he and his late father before him, trusted so much. Congerton is a cog in a very large system - anything he or those around him do I am pretty sure will get Top’s overview and sign off. However, like every other club in the world, our transfer business will throw up errors - are we going to blame Congerton for each and everyone of them? 

This is a sensible step to add experience to what is a relatively inexperience team aiming to embark on a new European adventure. We need experience and we cannot compete with the larger clubs and bring in 25 year old superstar but we can counteract this with good players who can chat to your Maddison’s and tielemans about what they should be doing in certain situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Wouldn't a better way to do this be to sign players who are better than what we have and put the current ones on the bench? Who said anything about throwing money at the bench?

5 minutes ago, copunk said:

A signing like this makes all the sense in the world, would be a cracking squad player and if we are to make europe then we are gonna need the right strength in depth 

I think this is also overlooked. If we’re going to be playing in Europe we need some options with CL/EL experience. Not every singing has to be a show stopper. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Was literally about to say this

We haven't had a mouthy, nasty little bugger on the pitch for far to long. 

Hence why we get bullied most weeks

It’s true. We’re far too soft, countless times this season I’ve just wished we’d properly shithouse a team and get in to their heads but we’re just incapable. 

12 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

He'd be a good player to sign on a free transfer. He fits into the way we play.

Liverpool signed him because his footwork is brilliant and he's got the ability to unlock a defence. Plus he scores a few.

Still got a few years left in him i think. You need a few experienced players in the squad who can contribute.

These are my thoughts too. Plus he's worked with Brendan Rodgers before, who got the best out of him. Might even help Maddison improve some aspects of his game with his experience too.

Negatives are his age, his wage demands, lack of resale value and that he's a bit injury prone. But you could have labelled all of those things at the last player over 30 we signed - Jonny Evans, who is arguably our player of the season thus far.

If he comes on a two year deal on reasonable wages / sign on fee then it seems like a sensible move. I'd imagine the total deal could be somewhere around the 15m mark; that's inclusive of signing on fee plus wages for two whole seasons. If you look at it that way, that's good business considering to sign a similar player it might cost 15m without taking into account a signing on fee or wages (though a younger player does have resale value).

At the end of the day it's a way to boost the depth of the squad without spending crazy amounts of money. I would imagine bigger bucks will be spent on more forward players in the summer, and we want to make sure we have the money available to do that.

• Like 2