Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Reconsidering VAR

Reconsidering VAR  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about VAR now?

• I think it's improving football
    • Give it some time, it will come good
    • Rules need to be changed for it to work
    • It's just moved the errors off the pitch and into someone in a dark room somewhere
    • Bin it, bin it now
  2. 2. Do you feel more or less positive about VAR since the start of the season?

• More
    • The same
    • Less

The decision of the PL to instruct PGMOL not to use pitch side monitors is the issue 

the on field ref should be responsible......if he wants to review something then he should be able to, irrespective of whether the VAR tells him to ........ once the ball is in an area away from the goal or with the keeper then he stops play whilst he checks ....

tbh, why can’t they have visual on their watch for a quick check and if they think it needs a further look then come to the monitor ....

• Like 1

Was for it, was for it even around Christmas because I think we avoided most of the controversy but the last month or so for us have been beyond ridiculous. Think it's better off just being used to check for the legality of goals.

Convinced the referees don't wanna watch the monitor because of how close they are to the fans at some stadiums. Think abroad i've seen they put some sort of sheet over it to block out fans and noise somewhat. The one I saw here recently (Palace?) i'm not surprised if referees don't want to use it given how moronic some fans are in this country these days.

Edited by Walkers

The technology is great and will only get better. 

Our application of it in the Premier League is quite possibly the worst I've ever seen, though. Its hideous. 

One thing I will say is that football fans have a huge disposition to be partisan, biased, blind and incredulous over the most petty shit. Just look at the Do They Mean Us thread, pundits getting struck off for life because they weren't nice enough about Leicester, then next week we always knew they were one of the good ones because they praise us. 

The same shapes peoples opinions of VAR, the reaction to so many VAR incidents this season has been pathetic just because a decision went against a team. I mean, sorry, but Praet has his arms way out from his body, turning away from the ball, it's a stonewall penalty. Everyone's just up in arms because it was against us. 

Wolves fans going apeshit over it since the first day of the season when a goal was totally, legitimately ruled out for a handball. Chelsea fans booing it when Giroud is clearly a yard offside. 

People don't care if its accurate, they're just being petty if shit is given against their team in the same way we'll boo a ref all match because he doesn't give a foul for Maddison doing his best Grealish impression, even though we hate it when Grealish gets fouls. 

So there's definitely an extent to which fans need to have a look at themselves and shut the **** up at times. That said, there's definitely an extent to which VAR needs a major review. For a start, they have to be given more authority to overturn an on field decision or what's even the point? 

But they also need to be held accountable. The league could get away with blindly defending refs when they were making mistakes in real time on the pitch. But the same video ref watching extensive, UHD replays from multiple angles of Lo Celso almost breaking a leg and Ederson concussing Iheanacho in consecutive incidents and doing nothing about it? **** that guy, he's endangering player safety, he should be disciplined and the public should know its happened. 

Same with the guy that refused to give the most blatant handball in the world against Villa (sorry but De Bruyne is entitled to protect his face) which cost us a place in a cup final. There's no excuse for decisions like that when you've got ten thousand angles to watch it from. 

So, keep VAR, definitely. But stop using it to protect referees and protect the elite institution of the "big six" and start actually using it impartially and fairly. 

The technology isn't the problem, the corrupt as **** governing body is. The technology is great, it gives us so many possibilities but they're being ignored so that guys like Mike Dean can keep being a celebrity household name at the expense of the nations sport. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

But ANYTHING that is interpretation, needs to be done by the ref, at the ground, in the moment.

Literally the stupidest opinion people have on VAR right here. The video ref is sat in a luxury suite of tens of top quality screens and video imaging tech worth millions. He can see incidents from every angle all the time and you want to take power away from him? Why? To add to the idea that the referee is some divine, faultless being? 

**** that. Football is a team sport and the officiating team is just that. Let them work like that. 

Stop treating refs like infalable gods and let the actual VAR make the calls he's meant to. If he's getting them wrong, discipline and train him just like refs and linos and everyone else should. 

Lumping all the accountability on one guy isn't helpful or intelligent, I'm fed up of people obsessing over the idea that the ref's word must be final. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Literally the stupidest opinion people have on VAR right here. The video ref is sat in a luxury suite of tens of top quality screens and video imaging tech worth millions. He can see incidents from every angle all the time and you want to take power away from him? Why? To add to the idea that the referee is some divine, faultless being? 

**** that. Football is a team sport and the officiating team is just that. Let them work like that. 

Stop treating refs like infalable gods and let the actual VAR make the calls he's meant to. If he's getting them wrong, discipline and train him just like refs and linos and everyone else should. 

Lumping all the accountability on one guy isn't helpful or intelligent, I'm fed up of people obsessing over the idea that the ref's word must be final. 

with all that talent and tech.. still fvcking it up

• Like 3

First step is to allow retrospective action and remove the ridiculous concept of if there is any review, decision or action during a game, there cannot be further consequences.

The most preposterous, self-protecting dictate in football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The decision of the PL to instruct PGMOL not to use pitch side monitors is the issue 

the on field ref should be responsible......if he wants to review something then he should be able to, irrespective of whether the VAR tells him to ........ once the ball is in an area away from the goal or with the keeper then he stops play whilst he checks ....

tbh, why can’t they have visual on their watch for a quick check and if they think it needs a further look then come to the monitor ....

it makes no odds really its the officials that are corrupt not the system.

Var officials should be there to support the ref not be a ref. Get all relevant angles and lines available for the on pitch ref to review. They have 90 secs. Ref has 1 min to review. If they can do it in that time then play on with original decision 

• Like 1

Just now, FLAN said:

Var officials should be there to support the ref not be a ref. Get all relevant angles and lines available for the on pitch ref to review. They have 90 secs. Ref has 1 min to review. If they can do it in that time then play on with original decision 

Why the on field ref don't look at screen is beyond me. All that time wasted for the handball incidents yesterday, he minds well run over and judge it himself. Ironically it'd be much quicker. Same with the Maguire incident last week against Chelsea.

In the middle of rules need to change and moved the errors.

I have the opinion the PL referees aren’t up to standard and all that has happened with the ‘Clear and Obvious’ is their mates covering for them back at Stockley Park. 

4 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Now THIS is an interesting point. I think the contrary is the correct way forward.

VAR should not be a collection of individuals sat in Stockley discussing the right answer to each situation.

It should be a system (likely based on IBMs Watson) with hard fast rules, utilising all the cameras, the positions and the information at its disposal. From that VAR would INSTANTLY recommend a decision to the ref.

This decision is then carried out by the ref is they agree which would normally be the case.

Ref is still needed clearly to maintain on field game management.

Guest Markyblue

I been going football for decades and now i cant even celebrate a goal without waiting for that horrible purple screen to come up and kill my joy, its shit and it isn't working..end of bin it now.

13 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I been going football for decades and now i cant even celebrate a goal without waiting for that horrible purple screen to come up and kill my joy, its shit and it isn't working..end of bin it now.

Doesn’t help when the screen is ten seconds behind everything else - it came up erroneously after kapsers pen save which almost led to a riot before everyone realised the game wasn’t stopping ....

Honestly, bin it. 

It is a shame as the technology is there but we have idiots using it. That isn't going to change in the near future so just bin. 

I am actually not enjoying football at the moment. It is killing the game for me. Hope it changes soon as in the next few years if we still have these problems, I will have lost interest in the game. 

Martin Atkinson
Mike Dean
Michael Oliver
Anthony Taylor
Kevin Friend
Chris Kavanagh
Paul Tierney
Jonathan Moss
Andre Marriner
Craig Pawson
Graham Scott
Stuart Attwell
Lee Mason
David Coote
Simon Hooper
Andy Madley
Peter Bankes
Darren England
Robert Jones
Oliver Langford
Tim Robinson

This is the list of Prem refs from the Premier League website. Try and pick out an actually good referee from that list. You'll be left with Michael Oliver, and not at lot else. Jon Moss is actually one of the better ones on that list, and he's ****ing dreadful. That's how poor the standard is. Chris Kavanagh is basically a crook. Craig Pawson hasn't had a decent game in his entire career. To top it off, we've actually got the prospect of a Bobby Madley comeback to look forward to in coming seasons. God help us all.

The problem's not the tech, the problem is you need to bin off almost every single ref on that list, as they are useless at best, vindictive match ruiners at worst.

Edited by orangecity23

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

but it is..thankfully..  Either Match Ref or Video Assistant Ref...

Again thankfully Not the fans...

But it is the fans right to be bias,one-eyed jacks,on all post Match threads,and pubs Corner tables ,plus Cross- fan- banter,would become boring.

Plus the poor Football fan needs that get-out excuse,when Facing so called Work colleagues,on Monday mornings....

Some have their knee-jerks under control,others Fall into the John Cleese syndrom...:D

Edited by fuchsntf

“VAR is fine, it’s the people who are the problem”

The people are the system, it’s Video Assistant *Referee*.

It doesn’t work. They’re shit at their jobs, and genuinely need to be fined heavily for their performance. 

Any half decent (and impartial) football watcher could do the job. No pitchside monitor, no 50/50s. If you can’t decide in 45 seconds, it’s not correct to overrule. 

In its current state, bin.

Under the control of PGMOL, bin.

Until we’re 100% sure the tech and the people are fit for purpose, stay in the bin. The pros are nowhere near worth the cons.

We all know referees make mistakes because they are a) only human and b) can't see every incident in real time and certainly not from every angle. Therefore, Stockley Park should only be used for "incidents" the referee has missed. The referee should then go to to pitch side monitor with the information passed to him and make the decision himself. Referees should be the ones making the decisions no-one else. It really isn't rocket science.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

In its current state, bin.

Under the control of PGMOL, bin.

Until we’re 100% sure the tech and the people are fit for purpose, stay in the bin. The pros are nowhere near worth the cons.

See I do not think you can do this.

You have to test any system in real-life scenario’s.

Just let an AI make the decision and let it advise the ref.