Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Reconsidering VAR

Reconsidering VAR  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about VAR now?

• I think it's improving football
    • Give it some time, it will come good
    • Rules need to be changed for it to work
    • It's just moved the errors off the pitch and into someone in a dark room somewhere
    • Bin it, bin it now
  2. 2. Do you feel more or less positive about VAR since the start of the season?

• More
    • The same
    • Less

My two pennorth.

I was a ref, not a very good one. Rose to the heady heights of Sunday mornings, but still a senior county official.  That was all I wanted BECAUSE I realised very quickly there is a clique in reffing circles. You are in or out.  Frankly I look like a w*****r without a blazer and I couldn't cope being in  a room full of blazer wearers!

I've met Kevin friend.  I'm sure he's good to small mammals and his mother.  Tip for you kev, erm when you drag another refs assistants off for a mentoring chat, how about you have the courtesy to speak to the ref.  How about you say hello, perhaps don't say go away, this is none of your business, i'm talking to these lads.  That might leave peop!e to think you are an arrogant cock.

And that brings me to var.

Refs don't want to be told nor admit they've made a clear and obvious error.  Until they grow up and acknowledge that it isn't a sign of weakness to admit youre not perfect var won't work.

Var has been shocking.  Wolves, their goal was a goal.  If you need lines and centimetres, it wasn't clear and obvious.  Hamza got booked but he got the ball first.  var got both wrong.   

Man city if praet  was handball so was kdb.  And the keeper incident was nasty.  

Bin var, it isn't going to change as the refs don't want it.  Ive said elsewhere it should be there for the howlers, Wes  at anfield, Speedy at Wembley, whoever it was at cheatsea  in the cup ect

Edited by pleatout
  • Like 1

Problem with a review system is that you’ll still get shit decisions. Imagine Maddison calls for a review after kdb handball, var look at it and decide it’s not handball, appeal lost. Kelechi flattened, call for review, var decide no foul, appeal lost. 

var officials need to be a separate organisation to the refs, maybe train ex players up.

I also got the feeling there’s an arrogance about refs. It’s as if they believe they’re professional athletes, playing the sport, an inflated ego and full of their own importance. Twattenbergs comments regarding the chelsea v spurs fixture highlights this belief.

var needs to help the official, he refs the game, if something happens the var call him to go and have a look on the monitor and they can discuss it but ultimately the ref makes the decision. 

Personally however, I’m done with it, there’s too many subjective calls for it to ever be controversy free and by that nature it’s no improvement on the good old days of no var. if technology could be eventually used for offsides making the decisions fairly instant I’d be all for that but until then leave it out. 

The epitath on the VAR gravestone should read:

Saturday 22nd Feb 2020 

Burnley v Bournemouth

Bournemouth equalise.  1-1. 

No they don't.  It's actually a penalty to Burnley for handball.

But it wasn't handball, because although he stuck his arm out, it actually hit him on the shoulder/top of the arm.   Which isn't handball.

2-0 to Burnley.

VAR RIP.

• Haha 1

Good to see the results of this latest poll.

Of 231 replies:

- Not a single person think it has improved football,

- 157 people (68%) think that it has just moved the problem elsewhere or is crap (bin it).

In my humble opinion, VAR is the iceberg that will sink the football ship.   Tinkering with it just amounts to shuffling chairs on the Titanic.

The above poll result shows there is some hope for humanity.   I feel uplifted!  :)

Football is a fast paced game and is all about momentum, which gives the Crowd energy and atmosphere. VAR take all this away, leaving you twiddling your thumbs for minutes on end or refraining from celebrating a goal incase it is ruled out.

Being so fast paced, a lot of incidents in football are down to different interpretations and opinions.  I think, if VAR is to continue, it should have 3 VAR officials to review and if no unanimous decision is made, the on-field decision remains or the on-field Referee reviews and makes his own decision (which will take even more time than it does currently).  

I doubt it will ever be perfect, with or without VAR, there is always going to be human error.

I read topics here quite alot but very rarely post but VAR seems to get everybody wanting to have their say, so here goes my opinion for whats its worth.

If you take away the interpretation of the individual/official looking at the replays and outline the course of action required for the incidents being reviewed, thus taking away the grey area's it might just get to work efficiently.

With the officials being told what guidelines to follow instead of their interpretation it might eradicate some of the inconsistencies we're currently seeing.

What also drives me nuts is people in the crowd shouting for VAR when an iffy decision is made then singing f'*~k VAR when it goes against you, you either want it or you don't lol...

Anyway lets batter the Canaries and secure Champions League football next season...

My suggestion for improving VAR would be to replace the current system with a streamlined one in which officials on the pitch make decisions in real time and all decisions are final.

If there are any mistakes in favour of one team they will inVARiably even themselves out over time as per the universal law of averages.

We had a similar system for approximately 150 years and I thought it worked pretty well.

Edited by squarez
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, squarez said:

My suggestion for improving VAR would be to replace the current system with a streamlined one in which officials on the pitch make decisions in real time and all decisions are final.

If there are any mistakes in favour of one team they will inVARiably even themselves out over time as per the universal law of averages.

We had a similar system for approximately 150 years and I thought it worked pretty well.

No they won't. 

• Like 1

I've always been against using VAR in any form. I'm prepared to live with the idea that bad on-field decisions will stand in return for a fast-paced game.

To be honest, I suspect that's what the vast majority of matchgoing fans think (and have always thought).

The Premier League only introduced it because of pressure from television/pundits, I can't recall that many fans lobbying for it.

Problem is the authorities will look at the opposition and say 'this shows we need to reform VAR' - they will never consider scrapping it.

• Like 1

I am going to take some flak for this, but I will attempt to defend VAR.

I know a lot of people here watch other sports that have some form of VAR / Instant replay / etc. Every other professional sport has managed to successfully implement some version of VAR. 

The NFL has had some form of video replay review for over 30 years. Today, it is currently used on every scoring play, turnover (when the possession changes from one team to the other), and by request of the head coach via a challenge flag. The only issue we have with instant replay in American football, is when the rules being applied are subjective. For instance, a fumble (when a player loses the ball) is objective. When the review happens, we just have to check off the following boxes - Is the ball out? Is the player's knee down before the ball comes out? Is there a clear recovery?  Where the NFL gets into trouble, is when they try and use instant replay on something more subjective (like pass interference). 

This is the Detroit Blues plan to fix VAR.

1) Force the head referee to look at the video. It's not a choice. They cannot just take the 4th officials word for it. They cannot defer responsibility for the actions of VAR. It might take another minute of stoppage, but getting the call right is too important.

2) Clear up the FIFA rules to make offside and handball more objective

Offside - We have to draw the line somewhere. Pick a ruling and stick with it. It doesn't matter if the player is a milimeter or a yard offside, offside is offside. 

Handball - IMO, the whole issue  comes down to two issues. The subjectiveness of whether or not the handball was intentional, and the harsh nature in which a handball in the box is punished by a penalty. I think both issues can be easily dealt with. One, if the handball in the box is deemed to be intentional, it is a penalty. If it is not intentional, it is an indirect free kick where the ball struck the hand. 

3) The video review should be transparent. In the NFL, the angles the referees are looking at are visible on TV and within the stadium. After the review, the head referee comes out of the video booth and explains to the crowd/TV audience the decision. However, in the XFL, they have one-upped the NFL and put a microphone in the video booth so the viewer can hear what is being said. That way you can hear the head ref and the video referee discuss their opinions and arrive at a decision. It is a great step towards transparency that I hope is adopted elsewhere in professional sports.

If you know someone high up in FIFA, they can get in contact with me on payment for my services lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I know a lot of people here watch other sports that have some form of VAR / Instant replay / etc. Every other professional sport has managed to successfully implement some version of VAR. 

The NFL has had some form of video replay review for over 30 years. Today, it is currently used on every scoring play, turnover (when the possession changes from one team to the other), and by request of the head coach via a challenge flag. The only issue we have with instant replay in American football, is when the rules being applied are subjective. For instance, a fumble (when a player loses the ball) is objective. When the review happens, we just have to check off the following boxes - Is the ball out? Is the player's knee down before the ball comes out? Is there a clear recovery?  Where the NFL gets into trouble, is when they try and use instant replay on something more subjective (like pass interference). 

1) Force the head referee to look at the video. It's not a choice. They cannot just take the 4th officials word for it. They cannot defer responsibility for the actions of VAR. It might take another minute of stoppage, but getting the call right is too important.

Offside - We have to draw the line somewhere. Pick a ruling and stick with it. It doesn't matter if the player is a milimeter or a yard offside, offside is offside. 

Handball - IMO, the whole issue  comes down to two issues. The subjectiveness of whether or not the handball was intentional, and the harsh nature in which a handball in the box is punished by a penalty. I think both issues can be easily dealt with. One, if the handball in the box is deemed to be intentional, it is a penalty. If it is not intentional, it is an indirect free kick where the ball struck the hand. 

3) The video review should be transparent. In the NFL, the angles the referees are looking at are visible on TV and within the stadium. After the review, the head referee comes out of the video booth and explains to the crowd/TV audience the decision. However, in the XFL, they have one-upped the NFL and put a microphone in the video booth so the viewer can hear what is being said. That way you can hear the head ref and the video referee discuss their opinions and arrive at a decision. It is a great step towards transparency that I hope is adopted elsewhere in professional sports.

If you know someone high up in FIFA, they can get in contact with me on payment for my services lol

American football is naturally much slower though and in my opinion the culture of match going fans isn’t the same 

• Like 1

I don't mind the concept of VAR, but the implementation is absolutely atrocious. I can accept mistakes when they're made as split-second decisions by an on-pitch referee - its frustrating but has always been part of the game - but when its some anonymous figure sat hundreds of miles away in Stockley park making arguably worse errors, then something has clearly gone wrong. Especially as the referee/linesmen at the stadium never check the monitors at the ground. It feels artificial.

Get rid of Stockley park completely, give 100% of power back to the referee on the pitch and let them be the one to review incidents/offsides if they didn't see them in real-time or need a second look. Forget about the silly line-drawing for offsides (which is somehow both arbitrary and overly clinical at the same time) and let it be judged by the human eye of the ref, with benefit of the doubt given to attackers in tight calls. Make the sport natural again with technology to assist, don't sanitise it like the PL has tried to do. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it does need to be better.

(Oh, and whilst we're at it, relegate every British ref to the championship and below until they can prove their worth and pay the ££ necessary to bring in some of the top refs from the continent who actually know what they're doing...)

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

With offside, I totally agree, if you off by a mm you're off. It's not that that is the issue, its the time taken over it, which why I think if they can't spot it without lines after 30 secs then stick with the onfield decision.

There seems to be discrepancies with the times taken too. The Wolves disallowed goal against Leicester seemed to take ages to review and was very tight, whilst the Jesus and Martial goals at the weekend were also tight and took no time at all. It seem to me, watching the Wolves games that they were looking for a reason to disallow it.

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

As stated loads of times. The tech is not the issue. People is the issue.

Also as stated previously, the tech can be an issue in marginal offside decisions as the pictures are not fast enough to reflect speed of players, therefore there needs to be a margin of error.

And yes, the VAR decisions are not improving; a reasonable argument they are getting worse judging by last Saturday

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

I've always been against using VAR in any form. I'm prepared to live with the idea that bad on-field decisions will stand in return for a fast-paced game.

To be honest, I suspect that's what the vast majority of matchgoing fans think (and have always thought).

The Premier League only introduced it because of pressure from television/pundits, I can't recall that many fans lobbying for it.

Problem is the authorities will look at the opposition and say 'this shows we need to reform VAR' - they will never consider scrapping it.

This is the problem. No calls for this yet after years of action on safe standing we're only just now (maybe) seeing a breakthrough. 

PL Officials couldn't care less about match going fans and until those fans turn their backs on the sport and TV companies get worried about the entertainment it won't matter what we think/want. 

9 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Also as stated previously, the tech can be an issue in marginal offside decisions as the pictures are not fast enough to reflect speed of players, therefore there needs to be a margin of error.

And yes, the VAR decisions are not improving; a reasonable argument they are getting worse judging by last Saturday

Fair enough, just suspect it will take time to iron out the substantial "kinks"

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

With offside, I totally agree, if you off by a mm you're off. It's not that that is the issue, its the time taken over it, which why I think if they can't spot it without lines after 30 secs then stick with the onfield decision.

There seems to be discrepancies with the times taken too. The Wolves disallowed goal against Leicester seemed to take ages to review and was very tight, whilst the Jesus and Martial goals at the weekend were also tight and took no time at all. It seem to me, watching the Wolves games that they were looking for a reason to disallow it.

You would think they could automate the decision making. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds for a computer to dig through the frames to determine the exact time the ball was contacted, draw a parallel line on the last defender / farthest attacker, and see which player is closest to the goal when the ball is struck.