Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-0 Birmingham - Post-Match Thread

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It was one of the worst performances I've seen from him and there's been some horror shows over the years. Not once did he take the ball and either beat a man or keep hold of it to bring others in. He just ran it in to the opposition and completely lost all initiave. He has never been particularly skillful to take players on but I struggle to see what the point of him is as he cannot keep hold of the ball to build attacks for us.

What's the point in Perez then? Who just passes the ball back to the back 4? At least Albrighton got in around the back of their defence a few times and played in some crosses that created chances. What chances has Perez made recently? 

• Like 1

I'm genuinely not trying to be obtuse. I honestly feel like you watched a different game, got Albrighton confused with Gray or possibly just refuse to say a player did alright because it's the trend to slag him off. I'm not sure which of those it is, but credit should be given to the only winger who's got an assist for over a month. 

• Like 2

Just now, Foxhateram said:

What's the point in Perez then? Who just passes the ball back to the back 4? At least Albrighton got in around the back of their defence a few times and played in some crosses that created chances. What chances has Perez made recently? 

I'd play neither. Its evident in this moment with nearly 75-80% of our team way off form that we need to cut out our weaknesses which are our wingers. Get Vardy and Iheanacho up front together in a 3-4-1-2 

Ricardo is our only true consistent player put wide and I'd probably play Justin over Chilwell but it's a punt. Get Maddison back in the hole and let's go a bit more direct and try and force a shift in our momentum.

Albrighton is not the answer, he will be in the Championship next season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Not once did he take the ball and either beat a man or keep hold of it to bring others in.

Apart from when he got around the back on several occasions, assisted a goal, played Ricardo on the overlap several times and set up chances for Evans and Gray. I'm so confused, did you watch a different player thinking it was him? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Chances? What just aimless swinging a ball in the box? If it’s not directed towards anyone it’s worthless

Defensive ability.....Take the last minute, he tried some woeful flick around the corner and immediately gave Birmingham their biggest chance all game. 

I’m not a person to completely rule out players or fully criticise. Marc needs consistent games and struggles without the match fitness to compete. He was bullied by a second tier full back tonight 

Gray far post, should have scored. Evans header from the short corner, should have scored, Ricardo goal, did score. 

Made more chances than Perez has set up for months, chilly, Gray and Barnes didn't make any chances throughout the entire game.

2 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Albrighton got an assist and fair play to him but lets not be ridiculous here, he was poor for long periods.

Some of you guys need to stop with such loyalty, he is not the answer!

I'm not saying he is the feckin Messiah, he's not Mahrez, but on tonight's performance alone, with no prejudgement of his poor form this season, he looked most likely to make a goal scoring chance, and did. 

I feel that gives him enough merit to be in the line up ahead of Perez, who has literally done nothing for most of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Chances? What just aimless swinging a ball in the box? If it’s not directed towards anyone it’s worthless

Defensive ability.....Take the last minute, he tried some woeful flick around the corner and immediately gave Birmingham their biggest chance all game. 

I’m not a person to completely rule out players or fully criticise. Marc needs consistent games and struggles without the match fitness to compete. He was bullied by a second tier full back tonight 

But take earlier in the game where he blocked several of their crosses and him with Ricardo were doubling up, completely nullifying any threat from that side. 

• Like 1

Not a good watch by any means for the vast majority of the game but a win is always nice. Chilwell I thought was much improved and probably our best player overall, not that there was a great deal of competition in that particular field - I'd probably have Praet closest. Gray genuinely might as well have not been there. Albrighton wasn't much better but at least came away with an assist. Wilf looked a bit rusty and Ricardo had a poor game by his standards, with the exception of the goal which was a superb header. Hopefully the knock Evans sustained and seemed to run off doesn't develop into anything more serious.

Hopefully the win goes a long way to rebuilding confidence, though I did also hope the goal itself might do that and instead we ended up hanging on somewhat which was a bit concerning.

Kevin was pretty average to poor for large parts of the game but I can also see why there would be some praise for him, given that he’s a bit rusty and that Gray had an absolute stinker on the other side. 

Moving forwards though he just isn’t the long term answer and I would think it’s unfortunately time to say goodbye to both of them in the Summer. If anything, I would probably keep Albrighton over Gray though just as a squad utility player on lower wages to use in the early domestic cup games. Ideally though I’d like to see us bring in a winger for the first 11 and one for the squad and then drop Perez to the bench.

I think the point with Albrighton is that he's average. What you see is what you get. He will get the crosses in and at some point it will land on a head. He's very magnolia. The way we play is not magnolia (well not supposed to be anyways) so we need more from a winger. We need flair and great technical ability. In a Raneiri team he's perfect. In a BR team he just doesn't fit, but he'll do a 'job'. Currently our wingers have been so so poor therefore we are reverting back to Albrighton and some are saying he's the answer. He's simply not the answer he's just a short term possible solution, albeit a very boring one 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Apart from when he got around the back on several occasions, assisted a goal, played Ricardo on the overlap several times and set up chances for Evans and Gray. I'm so confused, did you watch a different player thinking it was him? 

You’re so confused you’re quoting yourself asking yourself questions. 

Albrighton was crap tonight. One swallow doesn’t make a summer. One assist wow. There’s a reason why he’s a squad player now and rarely features. We’ve done pretty fine with Perez for 3/4 of the season. Albrighton’s biggest asset is whipping balls in the box. A lot of the time they’re so deep they go out for a throw in. Very rare he hits the man. Doesn’t help that we don’t commit men in the box when we have the ball out wide, but still. 

• Like 1

If I was a brummie fan I'd be pissed as if they actually came to win the game they possibly may have. When they did attack we looked very suspect at the back. Missed opportunity for them but hey we're in the quarters! :chant:

Nacho and praet Was the standout players for me tonight 

Gray also a standout player but for all the wrong reasons, just didn’t seem interested tonight 

1st half was probably one of the worst half’s of football I have watched us play in a long time 

I don’t understand why Maddison was being asked to play on the left side between Chilwell and Gray instead of being more central and helping Nacho who was isolated at times 

2nd half was a little better but nothing exceptional, Maddison moved back into the centre and Barnes coming on made a difference 

I think we did just about enough to deserve to win the game in the end 

Abject toss. Thank **** for Ricardo's invention otherwise we could've been binned out of that. You take the wins however they come but I don't really think that will boost any confidence unfortunately. Got no confidence at all for Monday.

Albrighton's probably a bit rusty but thought he was horrific. The bloke cant keep the ball and loses his head if he has it for longer than 2 seconds. Sean Dyche will bag him in the Summer, he is perfect for shithouse football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

You’re so confused you’re quoting yourself asking yourself questions. 

Albrighton was crap tonight. One swallow doesn’t make a summer. One assist wow. There’s a reason why he’s a squad player now and rarely features. We’ve done pretty fine with Perez for 3/4 of the season. Albrighton’s biggest asset is whipping balls in the box. A lot of the time they’re so deep they go out for a throw in. Very rare he hits the man. Doesn’t help that we don’t commit men in the box when we have the ball out wide, but still. 

Yer very funny. :nigel:

Don't understand why people are incapable of giving a player credit where it is due. It is like it is against some FT rules to support certain players.

We should all be supporting the whole squad. Especially if said player has done us favour in a game where we really needed a special ball whipped in to break down their two banks of four. Albrighton played 3 of those balls, not one other player on the pitch played one. 

The right hand side looked stronger tonight than it has for weeks. It certainly looked better than the left, even after Barnes came one. 

• Like 4