Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-0 Birmingham - Post-Match Thread

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He really isn't. Exceptional close control, rarely gives the ball away, great range of passing equally adept at defending and attacking. The only things he lacks are pace and goal scoring, otherwise he is pretty brilliant. 

He may lack pace but he doesn't put himself in the same position as Youri in that he needs it as much.

I think in a couple of years we'll see that Praet was a better buy than Tielemans. I'm very happy with his progress.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

What a weird thing to get annoyed by. 

What's wrong with that? So he wants to play with his stronger foot. No issue. 

Like Albrighton having to cut in on his right when playing on the left... 

It's because he got into positions where if he had a left foot, he could have crossed first time, or tried to get to the byline. 

As it was cutting back onto his right foot changed the angle so it came at the big defenders rather than from the side, also allowed them to reset their shape and meant we had no chance of scoring.

If we're going to cross to big defenders with small attackers, it needs to be from the byline or before they have had time to get in position aka they need to be off balance.

Edit: should say Marc Albrighton is the absolute worst for this when playing on the left.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

One Birmingham City supporter who was interviewed by the BBC when leaving the KP Stadium said that we're not the third best team in the country. Tbh, it's difficult not to disagree with him right now. 

Same could be said of Birmingham mind, they played with the courage of a League 2 team 

How others see us. From Tim Nash, who reported on the game for the Times: 

The Portugese full back's header was the least Rodgers' side deserved for a powerful display of attacking football in the second half which overwhelmed Birmingham. James Maddison was an increasing influence on the game and hit the side netting, and then the bar, before he set up Kelechi Iheanacho's effort which was ruled out for a clear offside. The goal Leicester had been threatening for the entire second half finally arrived eight minutes from time......

5 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

The Portugese full back's header was the least Rodgers' side deserved for a powerful display of attacking football in the second half which overwhelmed Birmingham. James Maddison was an increasing influence on the game and hit the side netting, and then the bar, before he set up Kelechi Iheanacho's effort which was ruled out for a clear offside. The goal Leicester had been threatening for the entire second half finally arrived eight minutes from time......

Tim Nash is a West Midlands - based football journalist so not some LCFC sympathiser.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
10 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

In my experience sports hacks know very little about football.

Edited by An Sionnach

Just now, An Sionnach said:

In my experience sports hacks no very little about football.

they have the advantage of not being as one eyed and emotionally involved as we are. Just interesting to get the perspective of a neutral. I'm not trying to pretend we are great at the moment. But I do believe we might not be far away. We need a goal scoring Vardy back, a little more confidence and bravery, and perhaps a little more luck.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

they have the advantage of not being as one eyed and emotionally involved as we are. Just interesting to get the perspective of a neutral. I'm not trying to pretend we are great at the moment. But I do believe we might not be far away. We need a goal scoring Vardy back, a little more confidence and bravery, and perhaps a little more luck.

Actually the averaged out opinions of forums like this is far nearer the truth than media bs.

14 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

I'm not trying to pretend we are great at the moment. But I do believe we might not be far away. We need a goal scoring Vardy back, a little more confidence and bravery, and perhaps a little more luck.

Enough with this measured opinion and common sense!!!!!!

It was an easy win to be honest but the disappointing aspect is only getting 2 shots on target with 77% possession. Gets people on edge and impatient. Brendan has got to find a cutting edge from somewhere but starting with Gray and Albrighton was always likely to not be the answer. 

I think Praet's a good player and far from our worries at the minute, but he doesn't really have that same ability to turn a game that Tielemans or Maddison do - the problem is neither of those two are doing it at all at the minute.

Although I didn't think Tielemans was bad yesterday.

Birmingham parked the bus anyway, we're bound to dominate possession and shots in this case. How many saves did Camp make? Our goal came through our right back grabbing the bull by the horns really. It was a poor display from us. He was the only one willing to take responsibility. The bloke's a winner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t read all the way through but here are a few thoughts:

Praet looks better every game - composed on the ball and willing to get stuck in.

Back 4 looked pretty solid but to be fair didn’t have much to do.

Brum had 6 along the back for most of the game and clearly planned for penalties or trying to pinch one on the break.

Gray looks totally lost.  He kept offering for runs then holding back by which time the pass was played and he missed it.

Madders is playing as more of a 6 than a 10.  He works hard and always offers for the ball but what we need is creativity between the lines at the moment and this is missing.

Horrible to hear some of our fans booing Chillwell and Gray when their names were announced.  Do you really think that will make them play better?

Was Jonathan Moss replaced after 45 mins?  First half they seemed to get everything but second half he didn’t fall for their strikers backing into Evans and Cags and even started to notice the niggling fouls at transition.  Could have done with waving a few cards but it’s a start.

Funniest part was the guy next to me having a right slanging match with a bloke 4 rows in front about standing.  Stewards got involved and it looked like it might kick off but then we scored and they were hugging and kissing each other.  Football eh!

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think Praet's a good player and far from our worries at the minute, but he doesn't really have that same ability to turn a game that Tielemans or Maddison do - the problem is neither of those two are doing it at all at the minute.

Definitely agree with that, but that's not currently the role he's been asked to do (though he might in the future).

Some great excerpts from this article:
https://tikitakafootballcoaching.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/brendan-rodgers-swansea-philosophy-1-0/

“When we have the football everybody’s a player. The difference with us is that when we have the ball we play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 and a goalkeeper.” (Rodgers 2012)

The centre forward, creative inside wingers and attacking wing backs have been consistent features of many formations through out generations and their roles do not change with much significance. It is the role of zones 1, 2, 3 and 5 that act as the core to the build up play and the success in retaining possession over the entire duration of the game.

Zone 3 has arguably the most important role to play in keeping possession. This player must be particularly good at keeping possession under pressure from opponents and will often see their passes also being played short for the duration of the game.

Leon Britton, Pirlo and Xavi are examples of players who act as the deep lying play makers, the water carriers, the short playing quarterback or the ‘volante de salida’ which simply translates in football terms as the outlet for under-pressure team mates.

“I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass, I get the ball, I pass.” (Xavier Hernandez 2011)

The above highlights Xavi’s hypnotic approach to the game in a simplified view. Key abilities are not to play the ball out of pressure but to play the ball within high pressure.

What Dennis Praet brings to the team is not specifically a killer through ball or pass (though he can play them), but it's to keep the team playing football. To be our metronome. Yes Birmingham parked the bus, but over 75% possession tells me that Praet fulfilled the role he was asked to do with aplomb. Should we be playing him in this role, or be playing that way at all? That's a different question / argument and a good one to have, but it's the coaching philosophy of Brendan Rodgers and it has us 3rd in the table, getting to one cup semi final and the quarter finals of another. All with a young team that finished 9th in the last two seasons. 

I agree that Maddison that needs to do more. Tielemans also plays this role for us when he is in the team, but he takes more risks compared to Praet. That means he's sometimes much more creative, but also sometimes appears to be hopeless. 

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

One Birmingham City supporter who was interviewed by the BBC when leaving the KP Stadium said that we're not the third best team in the country. Tbh, it's difficult not to disagree with him right now. 

he judged all that from one game? weird. wonder who he thinks are the third best side then.

Guest An Sionnach

Pirlo and Xavi were very different players , Pirlo was a master of the long ball , a superior Beckham while Xavi had the genius of Iniesta and Messi to interact with . Sadly we are not AC Milan or Barcelona of ten or fifteen years ago. I sometimes wonder what is expected of our players , Rodgers is too fond of trying to imitate somebody else's method instead of playing to our strengths

7 hours ago, FIF said:

He may lack pace but he doesn't put himself in the same position as Youri in that he needs it as much.

I think in a couple of years we'll see that Praet was a better buy than Tielemans. I'm very happy with his progress.

I am a big fan of Praet and fwiw I do think he has a huge role to play but what we are lacking at the moment is something that Tielemans brings that the others do not. Bravery. 

The big difference in Praets game and YT's is that Youri isnt afraid to try and mess up. Praet is a lot more measured and prioritizes the safer option. Both have a place in a side and when we are winning Praet is the ideal man to have in the squad but when we are loosing or failing to break through we need him to take more risks than he is currently. To say he has less ability than YT is simply not true, look at that ball against Brentford but he doesnt try to break the lines enough compared to YT imo. 

I genuinely believe the most talented lineup we could/ should be using is

Wilf

YT       DP

JM

KI/HB/AP

JV

Hoping we can give it a go now wilf is back.