Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

31 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Have to say I agree with the unnamed footballer who thinks they're being victimised.

Firstly, they're called out for not taking wage cuts.

Then, they're asked to help the NHS, which is a government funded institution not a registered charity as far as I'm aware.

Then, they're asked to start playing again to 'life the spirit of the nation', which in the circumstances is bizarre.

I'm aware we're currently under a period of time where questioning the government is strictly forbidden under government guidelines so I'll wait until this ban is lifted until I pass further comment.

Pay me £200 a week, give £50 to the nhs and id be happy to swap places with you. As would 90% of able bodied fans. 

Victimised isnt the word for this. I would take pity if it was a rubbish man saying he has to risk his life and cant quit or he wont get the benefits, but a footballer being asked to do his job? In a tested environment. Cmon now 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Pay me £200 a week, give £50 to the nhs and id be happy to swap places with you. As would 90% of able bodied fans. 

Victimised isnt the word for this. I would take pity if it was a rubbish man saying he has to risk his life and cant quit or he wont get the benefits, but a footballer being asked to do his job? In a tested environment. Cmon now 

I'm not making comparisons about pay vs other services, it's an argument that you can never justify no matter how you look at it.

My point is more around why the government seem so desperate to use footballers to cover their own failings.

On 04/05/2020 at 21:26, KrefelderFox666 said:

If football restarts and the whole season is without fans in the top league, non-league football would see crazy attendances (assuming crowds of smaller grounds are accepted).

Football needs to restart at some point or be faced with a complete overhaul. These past few weeks have really proven how pointless sport is to an extent and to think about the money that is thrown about. Footballers have become jobless essentially, just on a very high wage!

People who have kept themselves occupied can say that, but I know a fair few people who are really missing the game, and they feel down because of it.  Football is a big morale booster.

Guest MattP

Imagine being paid more than most earn in a year every week, being paid in full with no issues, asked to carry on doing your job in the most secure conditions of almost any workforce in the country, have access to testing and private doctors at any point and then claiming you are victimised in this process.

When my fiance gets off the ward tonight I'll tell at least she's not a footballer.

Derangement, complete derangement.

Guest ttfn
19 minutes ago, MattP said:

Imagine being paid more than most earn in a year every week, being paid in full with no issues, asked to carry on doing your job in the most secure conditions of almost any workforce in the country, have access to testing and private doctors at any point and then claiming you are victimised in this process.

When my fiance gets off the ward tonight I'll tell at least she's not a footballer.

Rooney started all this claiming they were being treated as “guinea pigs” when asked to play up until about 10 days before lockdown, and at a time when access to testing for football clubs was evidently not the issue it was elsewhere given the positive diagnoses received by Hudson-Odoi and Arteta. This was the same time that the government advice hadn’t really moved past washing your hands and people were still mixing freely in pubs and restaurants all around the country.

People talk about footballers being easy targets and they are. But they really don’t help themselves. 2 months off work, generating no income for their clubs and between them the response of 500+ PL players has been to pledge £4m to help the NHS, all the while not taking any pay cuts or minimal deferrals. £4m across 500 people is £8k - that’s approximately 1 day’s pay for the average PL footballer. 

You might say “well why should they bail out billionaire owners” and to an extent that’s fair. But not every club has a billionaire owner. PL footballers could easily have started a fund to support pros further down the pyramid who will struggle to get paid if not now, then soon as community football clubs are starved of match day cash. £25m (about 5-6 days’ pay each for the average PL player) would pay a year’s wages for 500 players earning £1k a week. In practice that’s probably about 300 league 2 players - most of the league - who could be tided over by an elite players’ fund.

The joke will be on them (well all of us who care about the sport) when their massive multi-year contracts can’t be paid out because the sport has gone bust. 

I don’t want football to return until it is safe to do so. But “safe” is a relative word and the precautions in place indicate that it will be safe enough. Right now that’s all industries can do for their employees and footballers need to accept that. And if they’re not going to work the least they can do is put their money to good use.

Edited by ttfn

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

All the benefits they have, they will be cocooned, as you say.

Take my work place. We have had 40 people working constantly through the whole lockdown, no PPE, no social distancing, just a little more handwashing (I hope; I can only speak for myself!) Cases of Covid19 =0

People who have broken their ankle stepping on a pine cone = 1.

When a footballer goes into a football game, he risks injury, but that doesn't stop him. Some players have dropped dead during a game due to heart attacks. Life is risk, you can't ever 100% rule out something terrible happening.

Maybe we've just got lucky in our office, or maybe there's currently less risk than a lot of people think? Surely they can work out the risk factor; insurance companies specialize in it. If it's less than the risk of a career ending injury - and in an ideal, cocooned, properly managed environment that is virtually sterile why shouldn't it be? - then go ahead.

If not, then stop the post, close the shops, no more bins being emptied and everyone look after themselves in the hospitals. Police off the streets, let your house burn down and if the boiler breaks, well, at least it's nearly summer.

I'm going to ring in to work on Saturday and tell them I'm not working cos I'm scared.

• Like 1

Footballers do have a right to say in their own lives. I'm certain it's perfectly safe for them to play and I'm sure a lot of them know that too. Perhaps if we just tone down the blame a bit they'd be more amenable.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Footballers do have a right to say in their own lives. I'm certain it's perfectly safe for them to play and I'm sure a lot of them know that too. Perhaps if we just tone down the blame a bit they'd be more amenable.

Of course they do, but they are just in a bubble not realising what the real world is. As someone mentioned above about their own situation, the regular joes out there have to go to work as well. Its just hard to have sympathy when we know they are going to be safer than  just about every other profession that has to work in public right now. 

To come out in public to say that is just disrespectful for those that have no other choice but to work

Edited by Lambert09

4 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Have to say I agree with the unnamed footballer who thinks they're being victimised.

Then, they're asked to help the NHS, which is a government funded institution not a registered charity as far as I'm aware.

Then, they're asked to start playing again to 'life the spirit of the nation', which in the circumstances is bizarre.

I'm aware we're currently under a period of time where questioning the government is strictly forbidden under government guidelines so I'll wait until this ban is lifted until I pass further comment.

I'm not surprised he didn't want to be named.  Presumably he thinks he's a victim in comparison with all the other people in this country who are getting paid £50k and more per week while they are unable to work?  Everyone else who can't work is on furlough.

Footballers who don't want to play, should be allowed to go on furlough.  £2,000 per month maximum like everyone else.  When the grounds are deemed safe to re-open, they can come back and start earning again. 

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Take my work place. We have had 40 people working constantly through the whole lockdown, no PPE, no social distancing, just a little more handwashing (I hope; I can only speak for myself!) Cases of Covid19 =0

People who have broken their ankle stepping on a pine cone = 1.

I'm going to ring in to work on Saturday and tell them I'm not working cos I'm scared.

Are you scared of the pine cones or Covid19?

Who knew pine cone injury was a thing?!

11 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Are you scared of the pine cones or Covid19?

Who knew pine cone injury was a thing?!

The postie who works in our callers office (where you collect parcels from) does. The ironic thing is, it's now only open a couple of hours every day to protect him, then he trod on a pine cone in the delivery yard and broke his ankle.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

They are also employees paid for their work. I work in the food industry which has carried on during the lockdown, if I told

my employer that I didn’t want to come to work due to concerns about the virus I’m sure they would be sympathetic but

they would not pay me.

5 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

They are also employees paid for their work. I work in the food industry which has carried on during the lockdown, if I told

my employer that I didn’t want to come to work due to concerns about the virus I’m sure they would be sympathetic but

they would not pay me.

But if your employer pressured you to take a pay cut, the public called you greedy and demanded you donate money to the NHS and then expect you to play anyway, you might feel like telling them to eff off.

I'm all in favour of football coming back and I'm sure its safe but a change in tone might help.

• Like 1

It’s always the same when the topic of footballers is brought up. Loads of jealous people ripping into them for no reason just because they are jealous of the money they are earning. Footballers are people too and certainly shouldn’t be asked to put themselves and family at risk to boost the national morale just because they earn more money than others.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

But if your employer pressured you to take a pay cut, the public called you greedy and demanded you donate money to the NHS and then expect you to play anyway, you might feel like telling them to eff off.

I'm all in favour of football coming back and I'm sure its safe but a change in tone might help.

I found the whole issue of raise and donate money to the NHS absolutely bizarre, it is a government institution funded by

tax revenue. I agree that footballers were unfairly vilified, they are highly skilled athletes in a very rich ( at the top level) sport

and are paid accordingly. I think most of the criticism stemmed from when some clubs began furloughing low paid staff and 

many including myself thought that firstly rich clubs should not rely on the tax payer to pay their staff, and secondly that if

clubs genuinely couldn’t afford to pay their staff then players should voluntarily give up a small percentage of their wage to

help out.

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It’s always the same when the topic of footballers is brought up. Loads of jealous people ripping into them for no reason just because they are jealous of the money they are earning. Footballers are people too and certainly shouldn’t be asked to put themselves and family at risk to boost the national morale just because they earn more money than others.

They will be at less risk than nurses, care workers, bus drivers and supermarket employees.

Clubs are putting out the excuses, where's the belief in these people that a bit of difficulty (neutral venues, no crowds) can be overcome? Yes it's a shit situation but that's what we have to deal with.

Anyway, all this stuff about integrity and fairness will definitely put the idea of holding matches around the world, or the 39th game, firmly to bed.....

On 06/05/2020 at 12:18, Number 6 said:

Brighton really annoying me now. Making loads of noise about neutral venues despite their home games being Arsenal, Utd, City and Liverpool.

I know it would be really funny if Liverpool were denied, but for the good of the game this season needs to reach some sort of conclusion I feel. And that's not just because we'd probably be the second biggest loser if it were void.

We wont void, it will be abandoned now if they cant finish after UEFA's announcement.

So for us ironically not finishing is better, but I prefer we finish as that has more integrity and we get to watch more football, plus the footballers will have to do some work for their money, I didnt like how they refused the 30% cut.

Money = power and with great power comes great responsibility. 

They take so very much from the society around them that its only fair they should repay a little in tougher times. 

That's my view but it's not the only one. 

6 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

They been nonsensical, the moment they ganged together to refuse the 30% cut I lost any little respect I had for them.

If they think they been victimised they welcome to work in a crowded supermarket for £8 an hour instead.

The government wants football to resume to help morale which is very understandable, their employers want them playing again, because if they dont the clubs go under as they still been paid full wages.

The way I see it.

Either (a) dont play but have a significant wage cut, to compensate clubs for lack of income, breaching TV contracts and other issues that amount from the no games been played, or (b) play for full wages.  I dont think they should get full wage "and" not play.

This opinion is based on government advice saying they can play, I dont they should play against advice.

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

I see this defence come up a lot if someone criticises someone who earns a decent salary, whether they a footballer or someone else, then its "jealousy".

If the players accepted the cut they still would be getting obscene amounts of money but I wouldn't be having the same opinion as now, so its not so much about how much they got but rather their attitude.  The moment they refused it, showed they only care about their own well being, the donations to charities is a typical trick played by the wealthy to pretend they care more than they do but are typically PR stunts, you can be sure the donations amount to nowhere near the 30% cut.  Sure there will be "some" footballers who have a good heart, and they donate wealth with genuine sincerity, but that's not all of them.

They are expecting to be wrapped in cotton wool, all the club doctors they have access to, physios, paramedics attending games, and now they expect zero risk to play.

They banded together, I feel the clubs need to do the same, unified stance 50% cut to wages, or players put on the £2500 a month, if players leave claiming breach of contract then blacklisted on the entire EPL/EFL making it harder to find new employment.  Game could do with a reset anyway.  Obviously this wont happen, and if it did the courts would be on fire.  But it gives an idea of my opinion right now.

Edited by Chrysalis

42 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Yes agreed but footballers aren’t key workers so the risk is entirely unnecessary. 

Nor are the guys building their new training centre.

• Like 1