Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I think we just want to play at home grounds but like all are happy to play on due to the money situation.

And cancelling the season won't necessarily mean we stay up depending on what system is used to decide the season as the season cannot just be voided according to UEFA and FA.

Brighton would be regardless though.

I think their main fear is they have :

Liverpool 

Man City 

Arsenal 

Man U

to play at home!

Fair enough. Yes it's not clear that Watford would "escape" relegation even if the restart is abandoned.

It does seem strange though that only certain clubs are questioning the neutral grounds idea (in public a least).

Given there wouldn't be fans at the ground, you'd think the loss from home advantage would be pretty evenly spread throughout the division? Are Watford arguing they'd have more to lose from not having home advantage than say other relegation rivals?

It seems the neutral grounds idea is in fact a condition of the government (rather than the clubs) - which has made it even more complicated...

Edited by leicesterseddon

2 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

What happened to the proposal to increase the size of the PL by two next season by having no relegation this year and two promoted. 

Playoffs unlikely to happen anyway so two up reasonable. Five down the following year of course but what the heck at least no-one is disadvantaged.

No league cup for the PL would provide space.

Is increasing the league to 22 in the event of no relegation likely to happen?I wouldn’t be so sure.Where does that leave the tv deals and prize pots?Where do we fit the games in?Clubs wanted a reduction to 18 clubs not an expansion.It might well be for one year but who’s going to vote for 5 to go down?Definitely not Brighton 😂 

38 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Fair enough. Yes it's not clear that Watford would "escape" relegation even if the restart is abandoned.

It does seem strange though that only certain clubs are questioning the neutral grounds idea (in public a least).

Given there wouldn't be fans at the ground, you'd think the loss from home advantage would be pretty evenly spread throughout the division? Are Watford arguing they'd have more to lose from not having home advantage than say other relegation rivals?

It seems the neutral grounds idea is in fact a condition of the government (rather than the clubs) - which has made it even more complicated...

..would you trust this government!!!

Dr David Hepburn, an intensive consultant in Wales, tweeted: “Just watched the conga lines/street parties on the news. The nation has lost its ****ing mind. We’re strapping in for the second wave.

If this season doesn't finish due to concerns, I can't see next season starting in August, therefore TV money is unlikely to be paid for a while. 

Of course the whole thing is about money, getting back to work for everyone is about money. Players in the majority of cases are still on full play without working- that won't carry on regardless.

• Like 1

I’m for kicking the Euros into touch this time around and just creating a bit of breathing room. 

Unfortunately that’s a hard sell after certain countries have declared their seasons over.

Something somewhere has to give. 

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

Well who knows 

Tbh whilst we have more home games than away  2 are against you and Man City plus Newcastle and Southampton who are hit a miss so hardly certain we'd get results!

I know we beat Liverpool but was that just down to being at home or due to Pearson setting up us well and the players performance?

Home game before we lost a 2 goal lead v 10 man Everton..

I think our guy was talking more about the staff at our club who work on match days etc.

https://www.watfordfc.com/news/club/premier-league-chairmans-statement

Brighton have Arsenal , MC, MU and Liverpool at home which might explain their position.

Like you say it's a Government/Police decision so can the league really go against them ?

Edited by Super_horns

If these clubs wont compromise, there aint gonna be no football until September 2021 after a vaccine arrives. How many clubs will be left then? I don't know if it possible to pause everything that long. Again as with normal life, there is only so long we can exist without money and there is not an unlimited supply of money. The facts suggest young healthy people under 45 have a very, very low chance of complications and death from this. This lockup is doing a lot more damage for a lot longer to a lot more people.

At the end of the day if it isn't possible now, a new season in September is not possible and will likely be cancelled and or delayed when a second phase arrives in the winter, which it will without a vaccine. What is the point of even beginning next season?

The best thing for now is to finish this season, whatever it takes and however long it takes, then do not start next season until we are sure it is not going to be screwed up.

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Is increasing the league to 22 in the event of no relegation likely to happen?I wouldn’t be so sure.Where does that leave the tv deals and prize pots?Where do we fit the games in?Clubs wanted a reduction to 18 clubs not an expansion.It might well be for one year but who’s going to vote for 5 to go down?Definitely not Brighton 😂 

As long as we're not charged extra on the season ticket for the additional matches. 

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just seen Brighton's remaining fixtures lol

20200510_175627.thumb.jpg.5019af3e846fa35e3348819d29d7209c.jpg

Not sure what's happened with the home/away thing but no wonder they want the season finished! 

I don't think they do. They said they'd continue but not at a neutral ground. TBH those games are really tough but their home form is better than their away form. Totally different side from last season of course but I'm pretty sure they beat Man Utd and Arsenal at home last season.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I don't think they do. They said they'd continue but not at a neutral ground. TBH those games are really tough but their home form is better than their away form. Totally different side from last season of course but I'm pretty sure they beat Man Utd and Arsenal at home last season.

They so do.😀

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...a bit harsh!!!!

Just one person dying due to a player having been infected due to the resumption of the league is one too many.

The protocol is now isolation and then test, being put in a position where you are indirectly putting your family in danger in the haste to restart is folly.

Do you just apply that to football?  Because each year, 2,000 people die just because we insist on driving fast.  If one single death is worth the cancellation of football for an indeterminate period, then why doesn't 2,000 road deaths bring about a more sensible speed limit - say 5 mph in town, 20 mph on motorways?  Road deaths would more or less end.

Answer - because society, as a whole, accepts that people will die as a result of the way our society works.  And, of course, that people will live as a result of the way our society works - life expectancy now is higher than it has ever been, largely because of the way our society works. 

It's easy to say "even one death is too many", but it's a platitude.  We don't mean it.  How many African peoples' lives could be saved if we sold our houses and rented bedsits instead?  Many,  Do we do it?  No, because when push comes to shove, we don't believe that "even one death is too many".

Besides, last week 6.6 people out of every million died with coronavirus.  Few of them were fit athletes.  I know of two of them who were very old and close to death anyway in a nursing home; it may be three depending on how they classify the third death.  The risk to footballers is already very small; there may be a case for saying that they should be last out of isolation; I don't know what that argument would be.  But we have to get the wheels turning again - because however you look at it, if the economy goes down the chute then the NHS goes with it, and there's no use trumpeting the saving of 250k lives by coronavirus measures if it costs 300k lives for other causes.  TV keeps going in the name of entertainment; all that is necessary is one news channel, the rest is hardly essential  Football is similar - entertainment industry, low risk participants, and if they face a tiny tiny risk of death - well, so do we all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Do you just apply that to football?  Because each year, 2,000 people die just because we insist on driving fast.  If one single death is worth the cancellation of football for an indeterminate period, then why doesn't 2,000 road deaths bring about a more sensible speed limit - say 5 mph in town, 20 mph on motorways?  Road deaths would more or less end.

Answer - because society, as a whole, accepts that people will die as a result of the way our society works.  And, of course, that people will live as a result of the way our society works - life expectancy now is higher than it has ever been, largely because of the way our society works. 

It's easy to say "even one death is too many", but it's a platitude.  We don't mean it.  How many African peoples' lives could be saved if we sold our houses and rented bedsits instead?  Many,  Do we do it?  No, because when push comes to shove, we don't believe that "even one death is too many".

Besides, last week 6.6 people out of every million died with coronavirus.  Few of them were fit athletes.  I know of two of them who were very old and close to death anyway in a nursing home; it may be three depending on how they classify the third death.  The risk to footballers is already very small; there may be a case for saying that they should be last out of isolation; I don't know what that argument would be.  But we have to get the wheels turning again - because however you look at it, if the economy goes down the chute then the NHS goes with it, and there's no use trumpeting the saving of 250k lives by coronavirus measures if it costs 300k lives for other causes.  TV keeps going in the name of entertainment; all that is necessary is one news channel, the rest is hardly essential  Football is similar - entertainment industry, low risk participants, and if they face a tiny tiny risk of death - well, so do we all.

...a totally spurious argument!!!

Totally out of context...should any individual chose not to put themselves in a situation which puts them in danger then I will support them. As for players being safe due to their age and fitness, the virus does not care about this, underlying problems are a factor in this look at deaths within the game or soon after retirement it just brings the outcome sooner.

We don't need to do this...it is not essential!!!!

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...a totally spurious argument!!!

Totally out of context...should any individual chose not to put themselves in a situation which puts them in danger then I will support them. As for players being safe due to their age and fitness, the virus does not care about this, underlying problems are a factor in this look at deaths within the game or soon after retirement it just brings the outcome sooner.

We don't need to do this...it is not essential!!!!

We do, the money involved is too great. Yes it might be difficult to accept or comprehend but wages still have to be paid and the potential of paying it back, or not receiving any for next season, is huge.

Player wages are the big reason for going back, let's not pretend otherwise. Hardly any have taken pay cuts so clubs have to find a way of keeping the money coming in.

• Like 1

Exactly, people talk as if football is there purely for entertainment and it is only being forced back to boost morale or some other crap.

Football is a multi billion pound business and contributes a huge amount to our economy. In fact you could argue the Premier League is one of our biggest commodities to the export market and our most sellable product. Not to mention 1000’s of jobs directly rely on it both directly at clubs but also in the media. If as some clubs are suggesting they won’t play until they’re sure theres zero chance that anyone can catch covid-19 then I’m afraid they’ll be waiting around 12 months at least. By which time 70% of all teams will have gone bust and the landscape of football has changed forever. 

This is not being wishful on fans behalf just to ensure our CL spot isn’t taken away. Football needs to start moving quickly to ensure it survives in its current guise 

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

One of the Bundesliga sides in quarantine now..

Dynamo Dresden...

The 2 Bundesliga spokesman,said if a couple of Teams had to put in Isolation procedures,they could  handle and organise around it with  "catch-up" !!!

If more clubs Take a hit then ,lockdown League suspension would again return.

Just my opinion,but I reckon the virus-stats twists & turns,will eventually prevent the 1 & 2 Bundesliga starting,or only seeing a few games,before Another sport

Lockdown...

Look at it this way, the Premier League, a business worth billions of pounds is nowhere near being restarted, and people are moaning that the lockdown feels like "prison". 

If football is nowhere near starting, we're nowhere near going back to work.

Money talks, but even money can't do anything in this case.

People listening to too much shit written primarily on social media and sometimes in the press.

I've got a 19 year old step daughter who's been inconsolable since 7 o'clock, because people speculated that you could create a 'social bubble' and she's dying to see her boyfriend.

Write the season off, I dont really care about the outcome, there's more important shit going on. 

• Like 1