Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

They been nonsensical, the moment they ganged together to refuse the 30% cut I lost any little respect I had for them.

If they think they been victimised they welcome to work in a crowded supermarket for £8 an hour instead.

The government wants football to resume to help morale which is very understandable, their employers want them playing again, because if they dont the clubs go under as they still been paid full wages.

The way I see it.

Either (a) dont play but have a significant wage cut, to compensate clubs for lack of income, breaching TV contracts and other issues that amount from the no games been played, or (b) play for full wages.  I dont think they should get full wage "and" not play.

This opinion is based on government advice saying they can play, I dont they should play against advice.

If they took a 30% pay cut at 50% tax rate  theyre actually taking money away from the nhs which is tax payer funded, and would you rather trust a bunch of working class players to do the right thing with that money or Ashley, Levy and Co?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

But they can socially distance and still work in theory.

Aye but they don’t have all the testing and medical support.

At least the players starting the game will know none of them are affected and are not compelled to return to their families without those tests

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

Aye but they don’t have all the testing and medical support.

At least the players starting the game will know none of them are affected and are not compelled to return to their families without those tests

I can agree that footballers will be in a privileged position with testing but I would think that the only way to keep them safe would have to be to isolate them from outsiders like their families. I personally feel for a non-essential worker to have to be compelled to do that is wrong and wouldn’t even be suggested in other industries. I am aware I am just speculating to some degree there though. 

I hope the government are working closely with sports who still have a season to finish. Getting the remaining games finished is going to be a massive organisational/logistical task - what is the point of going to all that trouble only for the government to then say they are not allowing matches to go ahead?

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Yes agreed but footballers aren’t key workers so the risk is entirely unnecessary. 

Nobody is making footballers take that risk.  If a footballer says he doesn't want to take the risk, he can't be forced to.  

What I (and others) are saying is that if he can take the risk and take the pay, or he can decide not to play and not get paid.  (Or get paid furlough wages.)  Simple decision, no pressure.  It's exactly the same decision that everyone else who cannot work from home has had to make, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I can agree that footballers will be in a privileged position with testing but I would think that the only way to keep them safe would have to be to isolate them from outsiders like their families. I personally feel for a non-essential worker to have to be compelled to do that is wrong and wouldn’t even be suggested in other industries. I am aware I am just speculating to some degree there though. 

There’s thousands of workers out there compelled to work, they’ve not been furloughed, my son has continued to work and still does 2/3 days a week in an office with other people admittedly primarily keeping their distance but they’re breathing the same atmosphere. He has no choice. I wouldn’t even call it essential.

My daughters just spent the last 2 days with a class of under 7s, try telling them how to social distance.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Null and void isn't an option it seems, neither is no relegation. So it'll either be there's no resumption and points per game or resume in neutral venues.

If that's right, then presumably Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth will vote for resumption, and the "who cares about the future of football, we're only in it for ourselves" brigade will struggle to get 7 votes.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

If that's right, then presumably Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth will vote for resumption, and the "who cares about the future of football, we're only in it for ourselves" brigade will struggle to get 7 votes.

Watford, West ham and Brighton would surely vote for ppg. TBH it'd be in the interest of Southampton, Newcastle, Everton, Palace and Burnley too - sure it's unlikely they're sucked into the relegation battle but why take the chance when Europe is as much out of reach. Leicester ad Chelsea would also be in favour of PPG and certain top 4 finish. Do either really have a 100% belief that they'll not get caught by someone?

I don't think 7 (in a secret ballot) would be unlikely. Is it a secret ballot?

12 hours ago, peach0000 said:

the majority would be at a European tournament now anyway its not like its something way out the norm for them to be away from there family for 30 days.

If it’s a secret ballot then nothing is off the table

but before the ballot takes place, (and how many scenarios do they vote on), the clubs have to agree to abide by the decision of the ballot and agree to take no legal action as a consequence of the voting. Otherwise we won’t get any outcome whatsoever ......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

the majority would be at a European tournament now anyway its not like its something way out the norm for them to be away from there family for 30 days.

This has been mentioned from the outset .......

but then the negative points about hotel staff potentially being infected comes up etc etc

maybe we should be looking at going to Denmark or Norway to play the season out next month, assuming their rates stay as low as they are. 

17 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Well maybe for the top players but not many others.

And they are allowed to go out and about which I presume won't be happening here.

I guess they will have to be professional and disciplined about it all  .. can we trust them ?

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

South Korea have started their league up again today

Dunno if it’s behind closed doors though? Assume so

edit.. yes of course it is

Jeonbuk vs Suwon

BTTS :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Watford, West ham and Brighton would surely vote for ppg. TBH it'd be in the interest of Southampton, Newcastle, Everton, Palace and Burnley too - sure it's unlikely they're sucked into the relegation battle but why take the chance when Europe is as much out of reach. Leicester ad Chelsea would also be in favour of PPG and certain top 4 finish. Do either really have a 100% belief that they'll not get caught by someone?

I don't think 7 (in a secret ballot) would be unlikely. Is it a secret ballot?

Do you ever wonder why Sean Dyche mentions pound notes?  Because Burnley, unlike some clubs, can't just write off the odd £30m as small change.  

Incidentally, check the league table.  If 8th place gets a European place as it was scheduled to do, we're 2 points behind it.  12 points above relegation.  If we lost all 9 we would probably still stay up.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-table-decided-weighted-21995675

Premier League table decided on weighted home and away points-per-game proposal

The Premier League are still determined to press on with 'Project Restart' as they seek to resume the 2019/20 season, but the idea has been fraught with difficulties.

Clubs near the bottom of the division are known to be opposed to the idea that all remaining matches will have to take place at between 8-10 neutral venues around the country, thereby removing the home advantage that they see as crucial in a relegation battle.

With concerns over coronavirus testing and player welfare also still on the table, clubs are still thought to be apart on several issues ahead of their next meeting on Monday, a day after prime minister Boris Johnson has set out new plans for emerging from lockdown.

It is still likely that the Premier League season will be played to a finish, but if it isn't then a new method of deciding it could soon emerge from Leagues One and Two.

As opposed to the straight PPG system that has been proposed in other leagues, the weighted system will take into account the fact that clubs have differing numbers of home and away games left in their fixture calendars.

In this system, the PPG for each club both at home and away have been worked out and multiplied by the amount of home and away matches they play, i.e. 19 of each in the Premier League.

These figures are then added to a club's actual points to give them a final total.

Stoke-on-Trent Live

The table shows that West Ham would end up being the biggest losers as they drop into the bottom three and are relegated by an agonising 0.18 points, with Bournemouth and Watford sitting above them, both on 35.74 points.

Aston Villa and Norwich would also go down, while at the top Liverpool would end up just shy of 30 points clear of Manchester City as they end on 107.21 points.

Leicester and Chelsea make up the rest of the top four, with Manchester United edging out Sheffield United for fifth and potentially taking a Champions League spot depending on City's European ban.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The idea of 4/5 subs is terrible too. 

just favours the big squads (Man U v wolves and sheff u)  and bottom (West Ham v rest ).

it should be resisted at all costs ! 

Agreed but not for that reason. Games would have 20 minutes of wasted time at the end when players are subbed on incessantly.

22 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

West Ham and Villa down? Sign me up - that is delicious.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that a league table using data like that will be used if we cannot play any more this season. 

it will be either

a) ppg

b) situation after games against all opposition (game 20 and deduct results from game 19)

I would think scenario a) most likely if season is curtailed 

self interest abounds .... villa ceo on the radio the other day being v honest that he isn’t going to vote for something which makes it more likely they will be relegated. The. Went on to say that we should be realistic and even handed and as fair as possible. That with the number of games in a short period of time the squad rule should be relaxed.......... and there we have it. - more self interest masquerading as fairness and player welfare (Wesley and pope allowed to play as they weren’t declared in their end jan squad due to injury) 

• Like 1