Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

I don't know if I am missing anything but EFL seem very quiet on their plans, apart from a couple of mentions on their concerns regarding clubs futures. I suppose they are waiting to see what the Premier League do first. The clubs at this level surely need to know what is happening sooner rather than later, I expect them to cancel their seasons with no promotions and relegations, potentially massive fortune for Bolton. You can't promote Leeds and West Brom as they haven't achieved promotion, yet if we do finish the PL season and have relegation, someone will have to be promoted?

Edited by RowlattsFox

Ive been very surprised at the lack of innovation. I genuinely expected some unbelievable workarounds and suggestions to be made. Not only in football, but other areas of entertainment. Every suggestion and idea  i have heard so far though could have been suggested by your average bloke down the pub.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The best solution is to freeze all football for one year and then pick up where left off in March next year. There is no chance football can happen in the next months unless it becomes a farce. No fans, players will be ruled out, teams will be ruled out weeks at a time due to someone being infected. It will just be utter chaos and not enjoyable.

As much as we all want it to return, it will be awful if it does. Write next season off completely, then start from where we are now.

No-one can set a date for "return to normal".  There is such a lack of reliable knowledge about the virus that our progress towards normality will involve alternate phases of lockdown and relaxation in various degrees, and it will be experimental with a "suck it and see" approach for everyone.  Football is no different from other businesses and institutions and cannot distance itself from being part of that experiment.  All of us will be at some level of risk, but footballers finishing the season will be privileged in being given a much safer working environment than most people.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

A spell of very sunny weather is unlikely. 

It’ll be in between 18/22 degrees, if not warmer. Not ideal weather for playing football. 

I'd say that's decent weather...

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..it does not mean your situation is right!!!!

The fact that you are working in such an environment without any protection is wrong and should be looked into.

Players not being willing to step on a pitch in fear of contamination does not mean that they are wrong. They should not be asked to put themselves in this position solely due to the job that they do. Any player who stands up and says no I am not willing to be placed in this situation I will applaud.

Call and end to the season, implement the promotion and relegation process and dedicate the season to the thousands which have died.....instead of sitting here discussing hypothetical scenarios.

I don't think any of us object to a player who says "not worth the riusk, furlough me".  Not a problem.  If there are any players who say "not worth the risk, continue paying me my vast salary" - they're the ones that will get no sympathy.  After all, why should a footballer who is unable or unwilling to work get paid more than anyone else who is unable or unwilling to work?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know if I am missing anything but EFL seem very quiet on their plans, apart from a couple of mentions on their concerns regarding clubs futures. I suppose they are waiting to see what the Premier League do first. The clubs at this level surely need to know what is happening sooner rather than later, I expect them to cancel their seasons with no promotions and relegations, potentially massive fortune for Bolton. You can't promote Leeds and West Brom as they haven't achieved promotion, yet if we do finish the PL season and have relegation, someone will have to be promoted?

I’ve noticed this.Whatever problems the Prem are suffering then it’s just the same lower down surely?I’d expect lge1 and 2 to abandon.Leaving the Championship with the same headache as the Prem.Only not so many people will care.I’ve browsed on a couple of forums and there really doesn’t seem to be the concern i’d expect.Gate money is such a huge part of their income.Yet all I’ve read is a possible 7k wage limit to be introduced and that Parry is a tom tanker.

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't think any of us object to a player who says "not worth the riusk, furlough me".  Not a problem.  If there are any players who say "not worth the risk, continue paying me my vast salary" - they're the ones that will get no sympathy.  After all, why should a footballer who is unable or unwilling to work get paid more than anyone else who is unable or unwilling to work?

...any player that would be furloughed would be paid 80% of their wages and therefor earning a significant amount more than you!!!!

I think you need to take a look at your argument, as any one, who is unable to work, means that the opportunity is outside of their control.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...any player that would be furloughed would be paid 80% of their wages and therefor earning a significant amount more than you!!!!

I think you need to take a look at your argument, as any one, who is unable to work, means that the opportunity is outside of their control.

I understood you wouldn't receive more than £2500.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

errr ....

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

I understood you wouldn't receive more than £2500.

correct ....less taxes

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Furlough pay is £560ish a week max > tax and pension etc.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

I can see a situation where players refuse to play and the clubs furlough them and don't top up the wages with the get out clause that the authorities have given the go-ahead.

Clubs will look to save where they can now.

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Would they have to even tell the fans where the games are going to be played? 

Can’t see anyone jumping on a train based on a SFE tweet. 

That's a good shout but in this day and age with things being leaked way before info is meant to be out I can't see that working as intended! 

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Ive been very surprised at the lack of innovation. I genuinely expected some unbelievable workarounds and suggestions to be made. Not only in football, but other areas of entertainment. Every suggestion and idea  i have heard so far though could have been suggested by your average bloke down the pub.

But I haven't seen him since 13 March

• Haha 1

Paywalled, but the concerns listed (there are many) all look valid.

There are just too many unknowns about this virus for club medics to shoulder the liability of producing ‘safe’ guidelines. And it’d have to be a really brave executive to shoulder the liability of giving the go-ahead in the face of doctors‘ concerns.

Edited by brucey

On 30/04/2020 at 16:42, Blue Fox 72 said:

I think we have to face up to the likelihood that this season will not be finished. Sad but almost inevitable I feel. :(

As said before, I can't see a restart of this season happening. :(

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

The EFL might need to stand together and mothball the clubs for 12 months. Every playing contract null and void. 

Then resume with new.contracts with new squads starting July 1 2021.

I don’t understand this. So every club loses all their players on a free before the next game is played?

Imagine the big clubs sweeping up anyone half decent with massive signing on bonuses.

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The insurance thing could blow it all away .....if underwriters have indicated that a player becoming infected and dying would not be covered under existing policy then who will agree to play ?   But how come the Germans dont have this issue ??

It sounds like the Germans are having issues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8266313/Bundesliga-restart-doubt-German-government-gearing-TIGHTEN-lockdown-new-cases.html

https://www.dw.com/en/fifpro-one-coronavirus-case-could-shut-bundesliga-season-down/a-53342602

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fc-erzgebirge-aue/story/4092117/german-team-in-isolation-ahead-of-key-government-meeting

Edited by brucey

1 minute ago, brucey said:

I meant ref insurance ...... it would be quite a basic thing to check at the outset ...... and it would presumably put next season in serious jeopardy too .........

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I can see a situation where players refuse to play and the clubs furlough them and don't top up the wages with the get out clause that the authorities have given the go-ahead.

Clubs will look to save where they can now.

You have to sign to accept furlough or ‘the job retention scheme’ as it is officially named. If players don’t accept it their employment rights are not affected, and they will still be due the balance of their contracts. Why would they accept it?

Edited by Strokes