Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

Premier League, FA, EFL and WSL unite to postpone fixtures

Premier League, FA, EFL and WSL have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England

Statement_Graphic_PL_FA_EFL_2

Related Articles

Following a meeting of Shareholders today, it was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time.

Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said: "Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by COVID-19.

"In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority."

Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so.

In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate.

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow. The right thing to do but something I thought we'd never see. I take it the last time it was stopped was for WW2?

Hopefully the season gets elongated rather than games being crammed in midweek.

Absolutely the right decision.

Should've been behind closed doors already, but now that people within the game are testing positive (and at an increasing rate) it'd be irresponsible to continue.

It'll be interesting to see what they decide w.r.t the remaining fixtures.

2 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Just bought my Chelsea FA Cup ticket yesterday! 

How are they going to cram all these games in? I've got a nasty feeling this season won't be completed somehow.

I bought my ticket yesterday aswell 🙃 ffs knew it was going to get cancelled still got my ticket tho! Nah they will elongate the season when its able to be resumed and it will just finish later than usual that's what I hope they do anyway. Surely there will be a statement from the club I.e tickets at some point... 

Just now, Saxondale said:

Just bought my Chelsea FA Cup ticket yesterday! 

How are they going to cram all these games in? I've got a nasty feeling this season won't be completed somehow.

Assuming that things are relatively back to normal by the summer, there'll probably be a cancellation of next season's cups to free up space for the league fixtures (both this season's remaining fixtures and the next's) to be fitted in. There's only 3 more rounds of this year's FA cup so that could be completed later in the year as well.

Internationally, god knows what they'll decide on. Euro 2021 and no nations league seems like the obvious choice, then maybe a revised, reduced format for qualifying for WC2022 (or even WC2023).

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Hallelujah.

Although you've got to ask serious questions when less than 24 hours ago they were more than happy for play to go ahead despite numerous warnings of self isolation. The world is ruled by too many money men... 

Agreed. If Arteta and Hudson-Odoi hadn't contracted it or announced that they had, we'd still be playing tomorrow no doubt. 

• Like 3

Can’t see any possibility that we start again April 4th 

all the people that become infected In next week (and there will be many many thousands) will force isolation of others for  one or two weeks. That takes us to 3 rd April - so no one will become infected in that fortnight ???  Not feasible 

this suspension will go to the last week April at the earliest imo. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can’t see any possibility that we start again April 4th 

all the people that become infected In next week (and there will be many many thousands) will force isolation of others for  one or two weeks. That takes us to 3 rd April - so no one will become infected in that fortnight ???  Not feasible 

this suspension will go to the last week April at the earliest imo. 

The statement does say 'at least'. So, I guess they review the situation the week before.

Just now, TheUltimateWinner said:

Reminder that the government yesterday said the peak of cases will be 14 weeks from now - the middle of June. I doubt we'll be playing games again for a long time. 

The government are shit. 

I bet if there's a drop in cases and therefore deaths hopefully, the FA/PL/EFL will reconvene and perhaps phase it back in. Maybe games behind closed doors to start off with to stop the backlog getting bigger and then have games with fans in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1