Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'd imagine it'll be stop start. I can't see many tackles going in.

Some fairly meaty challenges in the Hoffenheim Hertha game so far. It’s just a normal game of football to be honest but a bit dull because there’s no fans or atmosphere (standard is also a bit ropey) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

Money aside? That’s the most important aspect. Who pays the players wages whilst nothing is happening and they’re not getting the broadcasting funds? Football is not returning to give the public something to cheer, it is coming back because it has to in order to be sustainable 

If clubs have zero income from playing matches for 18 months, they will not be returning at all

The ones who will play are less at risk than the ones who won't play from going bust.

3 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Surely a club like Port Vale would be worse off by actually playing in an empty stadium than by not playing at all? I think that's why League Two have decided to scrap it, I don't think it's anything to do with morals.

Yes. Too much to open up without having gate money. Some of the grounds are big for that level when you consider Port Vale, Swindon...

4 hours ago, Big Dave said:

This sounds weird, but I am really looking forward to watching some German football this afternoon (that I know nothing about), and with no atmosphere.

I'm watching Dortmund v Schalke, the sound is sooo weird though. Its like being at a swimming bath. So so weird, but at least its still football. 

1 minute ago, pds said:

Obviously nothing like the usual but I'm enjoying it. Usually turn the sound down anyway cos of the state of the commentators. Not ideal but I'll take it over nothing.

Yeah, if it is the only way we will see our teams play again this year... then I will take this over nothing 

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I'm watching Dortmund v Schalke, the sound is sooo weird though. Its like being at a swimming bath. So so weird, but at least its still football. 

I’m watching the same game too. It is a little weird, and not quite as engrossing as normal, but I am sure it would be more consuming if it we’re the Premier League, particularly Leicester.

the goal celebrations seem strange too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

I’m watching the same game too. It is a little weird, and not quite as engrossing as normal, but I am sure it would be more consuming if it we’re the Premier League, particularly Leicester.

the goal celebrations seem strange too.

Looks weird players doing a celebration without a crowd lol 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Money aside and desperate broadcasters trying to fill their schedules....whats the rush?

I agree with your sentiment but the rush is that a lot of people are going to become unemployed and clubs go out of business if they don't get themselves sorted out.

As for those talking about atmosphere I can remember watching a lot of the old reserve games where you can hear every word spoken by players and coaches. You learn to enjoy it in different ways. 

I have noticed that (although there’re has been some), there is less rolling around around on the floor after a tackle.  Maybe it is just this particular game?

Also, slightly less vociferous remonstrating with the ref.

Guest MattP

Thought it was awful, football without the fans really is nothing.

I'll obviously watch Leicester as intensely as ever as it's important, but I doubt I'll watch a single other game unless something huge is riding on it.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Thought it was awful, football without the fans really is nothing.

I'll obviously watch Leicester as intensely as ever as it's important, but I doubt I'll watch a single other game unless something huge is riding on it.

Yes it is very different, but I actually quite enjoyed it (but that could be due to not watching any live sport of any kind for 2 months).  Novelty may fade after next weekend though.

Looking forward you the Premier league return. 

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The quality of bundesfarm doesnt help either 

I watched the Dortmund game earlier today (yes, I acknowledge they are one of the better teams), and thought there was some real quality there.  Also channel hopped a little and didn’t think it was too bad.  Seemed better quality than Spanish football.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angus Scott said:

When Hertha Berlin scored the goal celebrations were barely different to normal

I noticed that too. I think they may be told about that.

I also noticed that not all of the managers were wearing face masks - I thought they were all supposed to?

6 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Money aside and desperate broadcasters trying to fill their schedules....whats the rush?

No football for 18 months? Thats potentially a chunk of the prime part of players careers. Until a vaccine is rolled out, its going to be very odd indeed.

On 14/05/2020 at 12:26, sacreblueits442 said:

...it would be too late by then!!!!

They are duty bound to assess the possibilities prior to an operation, they would be negligent if they chose not to evaluate the potential implications in this scenario.

Edited by dsr-burnley
I have no idea what happened here. It won't go away,

The problem with money is that there is a blockage - or perhaps the reverse of a blockage.  It appears that the players want the money to flow out of the clubs for ever and ever, even while the clubs are getting nothing coming in.  This will not work.

There are two ways forward, long term.  One - play football, earn money.  Two - don't play football, don't earn money.  That's all.  I don't think the players understand that.

Incidentally, the reason it costs League 1 and League 2 so much money that they have to cancel the season, is because of player wages.  They can furlough players and many of them (I presume) already have.  Accrington furloughed all theirs on the day the season was suspended - they have only 4 staff left to maintain the ground and keep the office open.  This is because they get relatively very little TV money and they rely on gate money to pay the wages.  

Of course, Accrington's players are not on much more than the maximum £2k per month so furlough doesn't affect them like it does the PL players.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2020 at 16:04, Webbo said:

Who will these players bring the virus home to? Their wife, if they're married, probably around the same age, their children, very unlikely to be affected. If they're still living with their parents, they are not likely to be pensioners.

If they live with someone in a vulnerable group, fair enough, let them stay at home, there can't be many with that excuse though.

It might be as well if the players (and Bobby Barnes, PFA spokesman) were told that the number of children (under 14) who have died so far while suffering from cor navirus is 2.  Wheras the number of children who die on average suffering from flu (hospital deaths only, though I think most of them would be in hospital when it is so serious) is 166.

Point being, any footballer who is worried about coronavirus affecting his child will, logically, never play again because of the much higher risk of flu affecting his child.  Or else they will realise the risk of either disease is small and carry on playing, of course.

• Like 1