Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

I understand the worries of players, but the comparisons of "not safe for fans, not safe for us" are just wrong.

Its a bit different being packed into a stand, people on all sides, packed in the toilets etc; than being on a pitch with 21 other people. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

than being on a pitch with 21 other people. 

There's more than that in most supermarket queues.

I bet I pass more than 21 people on a daily 30 minute walk.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

There's more than that in most supermarket queues.

I bet I pass more than 21 people on a daily 30 minute walk.

Exactly, these players will be tested several times a week, even when asymptomatic. Look at the Brighton player, tested positive without symptoms.

That more than NHS staff get currently. Its fine having genuine worries, but keep them realistic 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

in all seriousness, the bundesliga returning will give the other european leagues a kick up the arse and should act as a catalyst 

(apart from the bottom six)

It'll be interesting to see how it goes this afternoon. I can't see it going well. 

The main issue with the PL is money, no doubt about it. That's what clubs will be worried about most. You look at League 2 who've just cancelled the season and a side like Port Vale voted to scrap it despite being a point off the play off places. But they did the morally right thing.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It'll be interesting to see how it goes this afternoon. I can't see it going well. 

The main issue with the PL is money, no doubt about it. That's what clubs will be worried about most. You look at League 2 who've just cancelled the season and a side like Port Vale voted to scrap it despite being a point off the play off places. But they did the morally right thing.

Why don’t you see it ‘going well’ (assuming your accept that having no fans is a soulless experience for everyone ) 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

in all seriousness, the bundesliga returning will give the other european leagues a kick up the arse and should act as a catalyst 

(apart from the bottom six)

A catalyst to get things going again?

What if it's not safe to do it in other European leagues? What use would a kick up the arse do if it's not determined to be safe in that other European country anyway?

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Why don’t you see it ‘going well’ (assuming your accept that having no fans is a soulless experience for everyone ) 

I'd imagine it'll be stop start. I can't see many tackles going in.

The Premier League has been told by the government of the United Kingdom that they must show some matches on free-to-air television and also put more money into the Football League and grassroots game as a condition for restarting this season.

“The government is opening the door for competitive football to return safely in June,” culture secretary Oliver Dowden said. “This should include widening access for fans to view live coverage and ensure finances from the game’s resumption supports the wider football family.”

“It is now up to the football authorities to agree and finalise the detail of their plans, and there is combined goodwill to achieve this for their fans, the football community and the nation as a whole. The government and our medical experts will continue to offer guidance and support to the game ahead of any final decision which would put these plans into action.”

If PL football is safe to restart in June then what right do the government have to insist on any restrictions like "Free to air" televised games or putting more money into grassroots football?

I hope they do these things but it can't be a requirement.

14 minutes ago, FIF said:

If PL football is safe to restart in June then what right do the government have to insist on any restrictions like "Free to air" televised games or putting more money into grassroots football?

I hope they do these things but it can't be a requirement.

Because the government are in charge of the country :dunno: 

53 minutes ago, Bert said:

Because the government are in charge of the country :dunno: 

Unless there is a particular law or we are acting under martial law I don't think the government have that power. It wouldn't be possible in a democracy.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'd imagine it'll be stop start. I can't see many tackles going in.

Watched Bochum. Still loads going in, that part was as normal.

Plenty will be disappointed with their afternoon watching football. Without fans it really is poor.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

A catalyst to get things going again?

What if it's not safe to do it in other European leagues? What use would a kick up the arse do if it's not determined to be safe in that other European country anyway?

to get off the fence and make decisions - 

it’s safe to play if the clubs, staff and players are on board - there are ways around any circle if the will is there. The problem we have is that the collective will is not there at the moment. I hope that the sight of competitive football being played in Germany will change that, especially amongst the players. 

of course, telling players that they have to stay in quarantine from 2 weeks before the first game until the season is over (or if the infection rate drops so low that it’s not required)  doesn’t seem unreasonable but there are many instances where it probably is. For example, take wilf - planned his new arrival for the end of the season so he could spend loads of time with her ...... I would imagine that players across the country attempt to do similar. 

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I understand the worries of players, but the comparisons of "not safe for fans, not safe for us" are just wrong.

Its a bit different being packed into a stand, people on all sides, packed in the toilets etc; than being on a pitch with 21 other people. 

It isn't remotely comparable. Fans in the main use public transport, have to walk to grounds in groups of people, all leave at roughly the same time, have a limited number of exits to use, sit amongst people for 2.5 hours, gather on concourses.

Players can travel safely in their own vehicles, will be provided with transport for away matches, dressing rooms will be laid out to give distance, probably staggered arrival times, can train in small groups if required and then play the match.

The Premier League appear to be doing all they can to provide players with the medical support available before playing matches again. We all give the Premier League grief (most of it justified) but in this case I can't really fault them. All this talk of "completely safe" isn't helping either as it is impossible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

This is really odd. What's the point of this?

Two players can't play as they needed physio so had to leave quarantine.

Reyna has been left out at the last minute...

It's shite.

Dortmund v Schalke

I’ve turned it off after 10 mins 

If anyone needs another reason to cancel/void/delay this season, it’s watching this soulless shite 

• Like 1

I agree it’s not great but I don’t think it helps that it’s in a European league which has no emotive value to us anyway. I’m just happy to have live sport back 

It might be different in a few months if this was a relegation game in the PL or us trying to secure a top 4 finish. 

Also a question to the ‘void’ brigade; this is also what next season will be like, so do you think we should void that as well and have 18 months of no football at all?

Just now, Staffs Fox said:

I agree it’s not great but I don’t think it helps that it’s in a European league which has no emotive value to us anyway. I’m just happy to have live sport back 

It might be different in a few months if this was a relegation game in the PL or us trying to secure a top 4 finish. 

Also a question to the ‘void’ brigade; this is also what next season will be like, so do you think we should void that as well and have 18 months of no football at all?

Money aside and desperate broadcasters trying to fill their schedules....whats the rush?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Blackboots only said:

Dortmund v Schalke

I’ve turned it off after 10 mins 

If anyone needs another reason to cancel/void/delay this season, it’s watching this soulless shite 

It’s all about keeping football going till fans can get back into stadia and it could be another year of this. Am enjoying it miss the crowd but it’s good.

Well done to Germany in getting to this stage. What a achievement. Brilliant leadership in that country.

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Surely a club like Port Vale would be worse off by actually playing in an empty stadium than by not playing at all? I think that's why League Two have decided to scrap it, I don't think it's anything to do with morals.

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Money aside and desperate broadcasters trying to fill their schedules....whats the rush?

Money aside? That’s the most important aspect. Who pays the players wages whilst nothing is happening and they’re not getting the broadcasting funds? Football is not returning to give the public something to cheer, it is coming back because it has to in order to be sustainable 

If clubs have zero income from playing matches for 18 months, they will not be returning at all

• Like 2