Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Immoral premier league Clubs

Some clubs could ask for the furlough, they’re within their rights to do so, however unscrupulous it is. Some might not, I hope we’re one of the ones who lead the way. 

Where it’ll really grate, is when/if (I’m sure it will because players will be out of contract etc) the transfer window opens. Clubs like Tottenham go and spend another £50-60m on a player as well offering massive wages. Some clubs will have taken the hit and may have to allow for that in the transfer market, albeit with their heads held high. 

Some businesses will have to sell assets to get through this hardship. Valuable assets are what almost every top football club has. So for me there’s no excuse to be using the Governments handouts, unless it’s essential to keep them afloat (that’s afloat, not mega-rich). 

I must admit, from a players point of view, by covering the whole club staffs wages, they aren’t helping the club or the staff, they’re helping our government. Granted, clubs could furlough staff and the club/players could pick up the 20% shortfall. I’d be surprised if, especially in regards to the foreign players who are paying our government the highest tax rate, were bothered about going out of their way to essentially save the country (one they’ll not have been living in very long) a fortune. 

Last paragraph could be argued against in many ways on a moral level. It’s not my way of thinking, rather playing devil’s advocate. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Some clubs could ask for the furlough, they’re within their rights to do so, however unscrupulous it is. Some might not, I hope we’re one of the ones who lead the way. 

Where it’ll really grate, is when/if (I’m sure it will because players will be out of contract etc) the transfer window opens. Clubs like Tottenham go and spend another £50-60m on a player as well offering massive wages. Some clubs will have taken the hit and may have to allow for that in the transfer market, albeit with their heads held high. 

Some businesses will have to sell assets to get through this hardship. Valuable assets are what almost every top football club has. So for me there’s no excuse to be using the Governments handouts, unless it’s essential to keep them afloat (that’s afloat, not mega-rich). 

I must admit, from a players point of view, by covering the whole club staffs wages, they aren’t helping the club or the staff, they’re helping our government. Granted, clubs could furlough staff and the club/players could pick up the 20% shortfall. I’d be surprised if, especially in regards to the foreign players who are paying our government the highest tax rate, were bothered about going out of their way to essentially save the country (one they’ll not have been living in very long) a fortune. 

Last paragraph could be argued against in many ways on a moral level. It’s not my way of thinking, rather playing devil’s advocate. 

It's not 'our Governments' money. It's tax payers money that could be better spent elsewhere. No excuse for rich clubs owners or players to milk the system in these circumstances. Disgraceful. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

It's not 'our Governments' money. It's tax payers money that could be better spent elsewhere. No excuse for rich clubs owners or players to milk the system in these circumstances. Disgraceful. 

The tax paid by our working population is the Government’s money to fund national services. 

Like I said, it isn’t my view of the situation and if I was in their shoes I’d hope I along with my team-mates would do the right thing. I did state that I was playing devils advocate. Looking at how someone else might view the situation isn’t necessarily a bad thing to do. If we haven’t seen by now, plenty of footballers (along with their agents/representatives) are clearly very greedy and might not think it’s their place to save the Government millions of pounds.

The PFA have made me sick today 

I’m very close to jacking In the premier league 

I won’t be the only one that walks away and cancels sky/bt to take up watching non-league stuff 

It’s a tier one national crisis and The PFA are trying to ensure cvunts like Jack Grealish gets their full whack ! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

I suppose it was always going to happen somewhere in the football league, I would imagine a few clubs live hand to mouth but for Tottenham Hotspur to ask the taxpayer to subsidize the wages less than 1 month into the season being suspended, we are talking about a club with a billionaire owner living in the Bahamas to avoid paying tax, a chief executive who received a massive bonus to deliver a stadium 10 months late, a club whoose average wage for the playing is £76'000 aweek and the signed a player for £54 million last summer, one for £24 million in January, the furlong was bought in by the government to protect peoples jobs and it will be needed by many small businesses but this is a joke and nothing short of fraud.

Tottenham entering the final furlong in 2nd place but only fade away to a 3rd place finish. 

Investec-Derby-Festival-Epsom-Racecourse.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Still don’t think people are getting this.The P/L is only as rich as it’s next tv contract.It can’t even fulfill it’s commitments on it’s current one.This virus has only just started here.It’s got to work it’s way through the developing world yet.Even then it might fancy having another world tour come the autumn,if not before.How confident are you that next season won’t get interrupted.More confident than the tv stations and P/L chairman?Who are probably now regretting handing out mega contracts.Their clubs assets(the players) value has just dropped.The phones probably not stopped ringing,with cancellations for sponsorship and hire of the private boxes.If I was a P/L footballer I’d be worried that I might not have any wages to give in a few months time.

30 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

The tax paid by our working population is the Government’s money to fund national services. 

Like I said, it isn’t my view of the situation and if I was in their shoes I’d hope I along with my team-mates would do the right thing. I did state that I was playing devils advocate. Looking at how someone else might view the situation isn’t necessarily a bad thing to do. If we haven’t seen by now, plenty of footballers (along with their agents/representatives) are clearly very greedy and might not think it’s their place to save the Government millions of pounds.

Taxpayers money is a public fund. The elected Government of the day either spend it or invest it on our behalf. It does not belong to the Government. 

• Like 2

This will be the beginning of the end for any kind of public support for Premier League footballers if they do not act as a group and take no wages for the next few months. As stated the wages can keep non playing staff going through this.

PFA need to be very careful, how do they think we will stomach returning to watch multi millionaire players who did nothing during the crisis.

The answer is we won’t and the whole thing will come crashing down around them.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

The PFA have made me sick today 

I’m very close to jacking In the premier league 

I won’t be the only one that walks away and cancels sky/bt to take up watching non-league stuff 

It’s a tier one national crisis and The PFA are trying to ensure cvunts like Jack Grealish gets their full whack ! 

Isn’t it just another view of so many others businesses at the moment - how many companies have cash but are refusing to pay their bills in the hope that the company they owe it to could get desperate and offer a discount or even go bust and then they can fabricate a claim.?

PFA wants to avoid clubs taking wages from their members and not entirely redistributing to the non playing workforce - with a nett gain to the club.  Massive distrust I’m afraid .......... they have issued an instruction to their members not to make deals with their employer without passing it by the PFA first ...... I doubt the PFA have the resources to deal with this in a reasonable timeframe ............

They’ve missed their opportunity now anyway. 

anything they do will look like they’ve been dragged kicking and screaming (Leeds and brum apart) 

a chance to show they care has been missed - they will now give away millions of pounds with no public thanks for doing so - the PFA have screwed their members over - it wouldn’t surprise me if prem players try and withdraw from the PFA over this. 

• Like 1

Just my take on it but I’m sure a lot of clubs are probably looking at the legality of contracts around wage cuts. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are clauses in contracts that mean if players do take a cut (and the wording will be vague and nowhere close to the current situation) that they could leave on the cheap/ free etc.. morally it’s a hard to not think they’re out of line, but the support staff won’t have such clauses so it’s pretty easy to do this.  When we come out of this we don’t know what the scenario will be, the premier league will have to pay back a lot of money if the season doesn’t finish so clubs are probably trying to figure how best to face the different scenarios. 

Again, morally wrong, but clubs could argue they’ve been paying taxes so they are entitled to claim the furlough if it safeguards jobs. A lot of players are doing things, I’m sure there’s more than we know as well as some clubs, but it’s a tricky tricky situation. There are a number of other industries that could help also, those tech billionaires who give £1 million when they’re sitting on £4bn or the actors who sign imagine from their mansions, who earn £18m to dress up in spandex in front of a blue screen.. 

If that ‘Roger Hunt’ aka Gordon Taylor keeps all his inflated salary and the lower paid players and their families suffer, then then the PFA has lost the plot.

1 hour ago, Shram said:

Just my take on it but I’m sure a lot of clubs are probably looking at the legality of contracts around wage cuts. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are clauses in contracts that mean if players do take a cut (and the wording will be vague and nowhere close to the current situation) that they could leave on the cheap/ free etc.. morally it’s a hard to not think they’re out of line, but the support staff won’t have such clauses so it’s pretty easy to do this.  When we come out of this we don’t know what the scenario will be, the premier league will have to pay back a lot of money if the season doesn’t finish so clubs are probably trying to figure how best to face the different scenarios. 

Again, morally wrong, but clubs could argue they’ve been paying taxes so they are entitled to claim the furlough if it safeguards jobs. A lot of players are doing things, I’m sure there’s more than we know as well as some clubs, but it’s a tricky tricky situation. There are a number of other industries that could help also, those tech billionaires who give £1 million when they’re sitting on £4bn or the actors who sign imagine from their mansions, who earn £18m to dress up in spandex in front of a blue screen.. 

I have no issue them taking the furlough but it should be after they slash playing costs 

fcuk their contracts !!!! UEFA should rule on this and ensure they can’t walk out of clubs owing to a salary cut ! 

premier league players could end up being more hated than the Chinese after this is over ! 

I’m actually surprised at people’s reactions to this. 

- are we just going after footballers or are we asking other entertainment industries, actors and actresses, F1 drivers, golfers, boxers etc. We could even stretch it to big businesses. Last I heard Richard Branson had sued the NHS.

I don’t think we can be going after people who have earnt a lot of money and demand they give us some. At the end of the day we don’t live in a communist society and many high earners will be supporting and donating. 

Can the government turn companies away from furlough support? I’m not sure it’s based on assets and cash in the bank. If a company that’s been paying UK tax wants to apply for helping cover staff wages then it’s entitled to, however crazy that seems. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Taxpayers money is a public fund. The elected Government of the day either spend it or invest it on our behalf. It does not belong to the Government. 

I know that, it’s held and spent in the public’s interest. I think you’ve taken what I said out of context. I was commenting subjectively about how other people might view it. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

5 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Still don’t think people are getting this.The P/L is only as rich as it’s next tv contract.It can’t even fulfill it’s commitments on it’s current one.This virus has only just started here.It’s got to work it’s way through the developing world yet.Even then it might fancy having another world tour come the autumn,if not before.How confident are you that next season won’t get interrupted.More confident than the tv stations and P/L chairman?Who are probably now regretting handing out mega contracts.Their clubs assets(the players) value has just dropped.The phones probably not stopped ringing,with cancellations for sponsorship and hire of the private boxes.If I was a P/L footballer I’d be worried that I might not have any wages to give in a few months time.

Which is pretty much what I was saying in the penultimate paragraph of my original post. I was commenting on how the players might feel about the situation. 

To be fair to our players they may of agreed to do this already but it is maybe taking a little time to fully implement as some players are abroad etc.... Some have already been really generous with donations to charities and the hospital. I was just hoping they would of announced something before the PFA do as it may look like players are being forced to do it? I dont believe that is the case with our players at all though.

Edited by Hales