Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Immoral premier league Clubs

29 minutes ago, Hales said:

To be fair to our players they may of agreed to do this already but it is maybe taking a little time to fully implement as some players are abroad etc.... Some have already been really generous with donations to charities and the hospital. I was just hoping they would of announced something before the PFA do as it may look like players are being forced to do it? I dont believe that is the case with our players at all though.

Barcelona players are being held up as a shining example.Yet it took them several days to come to an arrangement.They were also being pressured.It’s a complex situation.These things take time.In Barcelona’s case they had the added complication of their non footballing sport teams to consider.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Are footballers really on PAYE though? Go search half our team on companies house and they’ve all got limited companies. 

PAYE for their basic contracts. Image rights, sponsorships and other gubbins all varies.

ctevez.png

I think we also need to consider most of our team are young and without sounding patronising they maybe dont have much real life experience. They live in a footballing bubble and have advisors, agents and accountants running their lives. Yes most have their own companies but I very much doubt they are involved much in the running of them. Realistically I'm sure they have all said they want to do the pay cut but maybe dont know how to go about it or the club are actually dealing with it for them? These things take time. A player saying yes is the easy bit but it has to be done properly and legally within their contracts. I'm sure they will come good. Maybe at present the club can pay everyone and so this is not needed at the moment either. No LCFC staff have been furloughed yet.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 07:20, LinekersLugs said:

I feel this deserves a discussion on the main forum 

Norwich / spurs and Newcastle have now all cut the wages of all NON-playing staff 

a league that generates billions every year cannot and should not be asking near minimum wage staff to take a pay cut while multi millionaire playboys on the playing staff receive bonuses for games that will not or have not been played  !

I would like our club to guarantee our non-playing staff will not suffer like this given our excellent financial position,  and I’d love to see a league wide boycott of any team that does cut the wages of these lowest paid staff 

This growing story has made me ill , it’s disgusting and immoral to pay someone £250k a week full wages while asking someone on £16,000 a year to to take a pay cut !

My love of English football is being tested to the core right now 

I agree with what you say however, in my opinion if the players had an ounce of decency in their bodies, they would tell the board of directors not to cut the wages of the low paid background people, instead take a percentage from our many £housands of £'sss that we are paid every week!!! 

I would feel a great deal of respect if the highly paid players were to do this.

56 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Are footballers really on PAYE though? Go search half our team on companies house and they’ve all got limited companies. 

Yes they are

they may have companies for other stuff but their main income has to be via paye as their income comes from one main source (the club). Players are high profile individuals and defrauding HMRC would be a very open goal for the govt to go for them ........ there have been plenty of examples over the years of clubs and players doing dodgy things ...... it’s really quite hard now to avoid tax. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itsthejoeker said:

If they are on paye their agent is going something wrong!

It is time for players to do what is right.  If the club cabt pay staff wages then rather than take government handouts (which we all pay for) then the clubs should reduce their players pay to ensure they can pay all non playing staff and even to keep up payments to small local suppliers for their own staff.

Thay is  moral leadership in their community

1 hour ago, bluebeau said:

I agree with what you say however, in my opinion if the players had an ounce of decency in their bodies, they would tell the board of directors not to cut the wages of the low paid background people, instead take a percentage from our many £housands of £'sss that we are paid every week!!! 

I would feel a great deal of respect if the highly paid players were to do this.

The owners have a role too. 

2 hours ago, Hales said:

I think we also need to consider most of our team are young and without sounding patronising they maybe dont have much real life experience. They live in a footballing bubble and have advisors, agents and accountants running their lives. Yes most have their own companies but I very much doubt they are involved much in the running of them. Realistically I'm sure they have all said they want to do the pay cut but maybe dont know how to go about it or the club are actually dealing with it for them? These things take time. A player saying yes is the easy bit but it has to be done properly and legally within their contracts. I'm sure they will come good. Maybe at present the club can pay everyone and so this is not needed at the moment either. No LCFC staff have been furloughed yet.

I understood the pfa are to advise... what a record of altruism the pfa has

16 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

The is something immoral going on not just in football but look at BA cabin furloughed pilots not, it seams that those employees that are harder to recruit are still on pay roll those that are replaceable are furloughed.  

Yes - BA are aware the big 3 Arabic Airlines are there ready to pounce and splash the cash. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smitha said:

Add Liverpool to the list now.

22 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Didn't liverpool have a record year of profit last year? Absolutely ridiculous that they are furloughing staff. 

Disgusting. 

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Just hope we aren't added to the list, although you can't rule anything out. Can see more taking it up though.

Same. I'd be devastated and annoyed in equal measure if so :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My personnel opinion is that football players are like anyone who have a job and their salaries are there own private income and nothing to do with anyone else. I thought Matt Hancock was an idiot when he mentioned them the other day with a random and completely off the cuff remark.

1. The government has taken all mis managed and long standing debt from the NHS pct's. The NHS are currently being that well funded under emergency measures that it would be impractical to give cash to the NHS as it would probably get lost anyway and become insignificant.

2. Players do an immense amount of community work and I've seen the lcfc players twice over the last 9 months both visiting and donating to the leicester royal hospital. You also have certain players who have their own dedicated causes who they donate heavily to, so I would've thought that certain players may have an issue with an all inclusive playing staff salary deduction.

3. Non playing staff are better off being furloughed, particularly the ones that aren't essential and whereby it could put them at risk. Its catch 22 because if dropping a salaried non playing staff member by 20% causes them severe difficulties then by all means I think they should be supported by the playing staff and club. If this happens however, then the club/players will need to support the non playing staff in full for transparency reasons, and with them effectively placed on a form of paid gardening leave.

It's the technicalities that matter with this issue not the sentiment and I think that that's getting lost in recent weeks.

So where should the money go from players? The nhs doesn't make sense. Charities are extremely well funded too. Local communities are well funded through government grants and bailouts. 

I would like to see any potential salary deductions ploughed into Vichais new community support programme that he sent out today. I think that would be both fair and proportionate.

1 hour ago, smitha said:

Add Liverpool to the list now.

That has surprised me. If I thought any clubs wouldn't do this my guess would have been the Merseyside clubs who do a lot of work for communities. Can't see their fans supporting this. For all the criticism they get, their fans donate to stuff like foodbanks more than other clubs and not just in their area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

My personnel opinion is that football players are like anyone who have a job and their salaries are there own private income and nothing to do with anyone else. I thought Matt Hancock was an idiot when he mentioned them the other day with a random and completely off the cuff remark.

100% agree with this. I think he was looking for a little bit of easy point scoring. At the end of the day - look at the bigger picture: owners, shareholders, etc. If you point the finger at players then you have to point at the rest of the super rich. I know of a bloke who pays £20k a year to have a box at Man City's stadium that he doesn't use half the time. Is he putting his hand in his pocket?

• Like 2

On 03/04/2020 at 13:31, twoleftfeet said:

Lineker etc aren't employed by the Beeb

I think he is.

"The BBC has published the latest list of its highest-paid stars later as part of its (latest)  annual report.

Some stars have had pay increases, while others have dropped down the list and there are also some new joiners.

Bear in mind that not all earnings are published - for example, Zoe Ball's earnings for Strictly: It Takes Two are not included, as that is produced by BBC Studios, which is classed as a commercial entity.The stars of other high profile programmes produced by BBC Studios - such as Top Gear and Doctor Who - are also missing for the same reason.

Here's a list of the biggest earners at the BBC in 2018-19:

Gary Lineker - £1,750,000-£1,754,999"

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Disgusting. 

Same. I'd be devastated and annoyed in equal measure if so :(

It's why I held off on going in on individual clubs and focused on the collective. You wouldn't rule out any club doing this now. It could set a precedent for most to follow or look at the criticism and avoid doing it, we'll wait and see.

This really is the time for clubs to think about how they spend their money if they need (or want) to pay just 20% of wages to fairly low paid staff before any reductions from highly paid employees. 

PR is huge at any time but especially in times like these.