Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Immoral premier league Clubs

3 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

I feel this deserves a discussion on the main forum 

Norwich / spurs and Newcastle have now all cut the wages of all NON-playing staff 

a league that generates billions every year cannot and should not be asking near minimum wage staff to take a pay cut while multi millionaire playboys on the playing staff receive bonuses for games that will not or have not been played  !

I would like our club to guarantee our non-playing staff will not suffer like this given our excellent financial position,  and I’d love to see a league wide boycott of any team that does cut the wages of these lowest paid staff 

This growing story has made me ill , it’s disgusting and immoral to pay someone £250k a week full wages while asking someone on £16,000 a year to to take a pay cut !

My love of English football is being tested to the core right now 

I get it and of course you correct. The only counter argument I suppose is staff who are not working could be furloughed or can take a pay cut and the players do in a way have to keep working in the sense they have a fitness obligation.... ?

I’m not hearing stories of footballers though donating a months wages to the club staff to help them and their families through this - and I kinda feel I should be?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

I feel this deserves a discussion on the main forum 

Norwich / spurs and Newcastle have now all cut the wages of all NON-playing staff 

a league that generates billions every year cannot and should not be asking near minimum wage staff to take a pay cut while multi millionaire playboys on the playing staff receive bonuses for games that will not or have not been played  !

I would like our club to guarantee our non-playing staff will not suffer like this given our excellent financial position,  and I’d love to see a league wide boycott of any team that does cut the wages of these lowest paid staff 

This growing story has made me ill , it’s disgusting and immoral to pay someone £250k a week full wages while asking someone on £16,000 a year to to take a pay cut !

My love of English football is being tested to the core right now 

Norwich City latest Premier League club to begin furloughing staff - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52114292

The difference with Norwich is they're paying 20% of said non-playing staff wages to make sure they don't miss out on pay.

Bournemouth have also said they won't be paying accommodation providers for their youth players

As I've said a few times in thr prem thread, this is ridiculous. The greed of some clubs is beyond me. If our players don't take a pay cut to pay non-playing staff I'll feel incredibly let down by the team. However, Levy was the highest paid exec in the league. Had he dropped or deferred some of his bonus their entire non-playing staff could've been paid for a while. Even a 20% reduction in player wages would cover probably all of the staff wages.

The greed of elite football is incredible. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

But here in greedy premier league land we hear nothing , I can’t hero worship (and we all hero worship) a man on £150k a week knowing he did little or nothing to support his lower payed colleagues at his workplace

Not sure how a Spurs staff member (or other club) can go back after all this and honestly look any of the players in the eye.

Players on weekly wages higher than their annual earnings, the same players who wouldn't drop any wage for a few months to help pay those who dedicate their lives to making sure a players life is simple. 

20% probably makes 0 difference to players in their million pound complexes; whereas 20% to staff is potentially huge.

I've ranted too much about this as it really doesn't sit right with me. 

• Like 3

Didn't our squad back in the administration era years pay the wages of some non playing staff like the kit man, tea lady act... These things can be easily done, and would be a classy thing to do. Doubt we'll see much of it these days though. I'm sure a premier league team cutting the playing staff wages by 50% for a couple of weeks would cover the wages of the rest of the club staff easily. Would be surprised to see this happen though unfortunately 

• Like 1

Not just the chairman and the club, the players should also look at themselves. They seem to do a lot of this PR and community stuff but when it comes to it not bothered about giving up 50% of their wages to help non playing staff.

Everybody criticises Leeds as a club but fair play to their players and management for deferring their wages.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I hope that just because you don't hear of premiership players donating wages it still does happen, I'm not a fan of people making their charity donations public.

This is also true. 

Loads of celebrities donate money without making a fuss about it.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I get it and of course you correct. The only counter argument I suppose is staff who are not working could be furloughed or can take a pay cut and the players do in a way have to keep working in the sense they have a fitness obligation.... ?

I’m not hearing stories of footballers though donating a months wages to the club staff to help them and their families through this - and I kinda feel I should be?

That's the problem though, rich clubs asking the government to pay the wages, the fact that the fans are defending the clubs actions is disheartening, I guess the blinkers never come off for some people.

33 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Let’s not slag our players off until the non-playing staff are asked to take a pay-cut. As far as we know, Top is happy to continue paying everyone. 

There is a few bits on Twitter saying our first team squad are willing to take a pay cut. Not sure how true it is but would be nice to see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I'd honestly rather the club dip into the transfer fund than do this.

Truly shameful and I hope those clubs get endless flack for it when the virus has blown over.

Totally this! A couple of mill would be all they need to pay. 

If we were paying 500 people 30k a year (which we obviously aren't) it's 1.25 mill a month wage bill. 2 months at 30 k 2.5mill in the grand scheme of things for prem clubs is absolutely nothing. 

When the corporate machine that is Barcelona is showing more humanity than your club you need to take a bloody good look at yourself. 

Spurs - owned by tax-dodging billionaire and dipping into taxpayers money to save a pittance to them while the CEO pockets millions in unmerited bonuses. What a disgrace that is.

• Like 2

Chairman issues stark warning to Premier League clubs
Leicester City's rivals Tottenham Hotspur have announced that 550 non-playing staff are taking pay cuts in the wake of the coronavirus crisis

Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy has fired a stark warning to other Premier League clubs in the wake of the coronavirus crisis.

Leicester City 's rivals have announced that non-playing staff will take a 20% pay cut as the financial fallout from the pandemic begins to show.

The London club have followed Newcastle United in furloughing staff, with 550 employees getting 80% of their salary for the next two months.

Levy, who is also taking a cut, said: "Yesterday, having already taken steps to reduce costs, we ourselves made the difficult decision - in order to protect jobs - to reduce the remuneration of all 550 non-playing directors and employees for April and May by 20 per cent utilising, where appropriate, the Government's furlough scheme.

"We shall continue to review this position."

Levy added that "people need to wake up to the enormity" of the current situation.

"The crushing devastation on industries in many countries, the interdependence of international trade and travel in every aspect of our daily life is only now beginning to be felt," he said.

"Every person on this planet will be affected and in my lifetime I cannot think of something so impactful.

"With over 786,000 infected, nearly 38,000 deaths and large segments of the world in lockdown we need to realise that football cannot operate in a bubble.

"We may be the eighth largest club in the world by revenue, according to the Deloitte survey, but all that historical data is totally irrelevant as this virus has no boundaries."

His comments come as the club's 2018-19 accounts published on Companies House show Levy earned a £3million bonus for delivering the club's new stadium.

Spurs moved into their 62,000-seater home in April 2019 and Levy was given a hefty bonus, deferred from 2018, on top of his £4million salary.

On Tuesday evening, Norwich City became the latest Premier League club to start furloughing staff.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:
The non playing staff won't have agents working for them who would probably demand a move for their client if they get told to take a pay cut..

I know other big clubs have done it but the Premier league footballer does seem to be more greedy than most.

Yes,any pay cut would need to be agreed across the board.Technically a player can move for free in such circumstances.These things take time.