Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

i understand people are concerned with the higher figures being thrown around, but ultimately we wont know what any transfer deal comes to and the club would only sign a player if they were happy with the value it represents. as fans we just need to trust the club and be more focused on the club getting the right player and not the cost, because we know from past experience they owners wont do anything to jeopardise us.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol

I just think it's got out of hand. I expect we thought we could probably get him for a bit over £20m at first, and then kept increasing our bids gradually over the past few weeks. Now the asking price is close to double that.

We mustn't lose sight of what we're paying for what we're getting. If we're spending £40m, we can probably expect to get a ready-made 1st team starter, not a teenager with barely any experience. I wouldn't go much over £25m if it was up to me.

I'm sure Fofana will turn out to be a good player, but I don't want to see us be put over the barrel.

I kind of suspect West Ham aren't really in for him, and it's just a ploy to get more cash out of us. If we walk away now, I wouldn't be shocked if St Etienne came back to us in a week or in January with cap in hand.

I'm sure if we set ourselves a £20m limit, we could find a very good, young 3rd choice CB.

I'm sorry I can't read your comment. Reading all of these hypothetical opinions/scenarios has sent my mind over the edge. Thank God the window ends next week or is it the week after........just learned it extends until the 14th for business between the Premier League and the Championship. Anybody know which circle of Dante's Inferno are we in? :surrender:

38 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol

I just think it's got out of hand. I expect we thought we could probably get him for a bit over £20m at first, and then kept increasing our bids gradually over the past few weeks. Now the asking price is close to double that.

We mustn't lose sight of what we're paying for what we're getting. If we're spending £40m, we can probably expect to get a ready-made 1st team starter, not a teenager with barely any experience. I wouldn't go much over £25m if it was up to me.

I'm sure Fofana will turn out to be a good player, but I don't want to see us be put over the barrel.

I kind of suspect West Ham aren't really in for him, and it's just a ploy to get more cash out of us. If we walk away now, I wouldn't be shocked if St Etienne came back to us in a week or in January with cap in hand.

I'm sure if we set ourselves a £20m limit, we could find a very good, young 3rd choice CB.

Spot on. Hardly blue sky thinking not wanting the club being held to ransom.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When does the transfer window close for other European countries? I read something recently that they aren't all aligned with ours which is a farce.

October the 5th for all the major leagues I think?

The window will open for 10 weeks at the end of the current Premier League season, starting on 27 July and ending on 5 October.  

Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 17:00 BST on 16 October. During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations).  

No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.  

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog-transfer-talk/story/4048919/when-does-the-transfer-window-open-in-2020-premier-leagueserie-ala-ligabundesligaligue-1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JJS84 said:

i understand people are concerned with the higher figures being thrown around, but ultimately we wont know what any transfer deal comes to and the club would only sign a player if they were happy with the value it represents. as fans we just need to trust the club and be more focused on the club getting the right player and not the cost, because we know from past experience they owners wont do anything to jeopardise us.

I do get what you're saying, but I think we're in serious danger of being done here.

St Etienne are meant to be having financial trouble, but they're asking around £40m for a 19 year old defender. I think we're much better off moving onto our 2nd choice now. It doesn't represent value for money at all. Even in the best case - where Fofana hits the ground running and becomes a starter for us, he still won't have much sell-on value, which is probably the main advantage of buying young players for a club in our position.

There's still time to get other signings done. I think this one looks out of our reach now. We could get it over the line, and I'm sure he's a good player, but do we really want to at that price?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol

Agree..

Conspiracy theory of the day. 

The family said they wouldn't do business with West ham after Karren Brady crudely revealed in her gutter gossip column how much Vichai spent at an expensive  London wine shop. 

Claude knows of the family disdain for West Ham.and its spunked soaked money.

Claude Tells ASSE board the City won't let themselves get beaten to a player by Hammer's and therefore to Invent an inflated offer from Lady Muck and the dildo brothers, of which we'll react to with an increased bid

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I would take anything Schira says with a pinch of salt, this is a good thread on how he/ they work 

of course - i posted last night that a dodgy twitter account (amartey_arse) had made up that we would match west hams bid courtesy of a l'equipe publication which hadn't said anything.  by this morning this had become accepted narrative  

schira seemed to have some information re the 40m euros which i hadn't seen anywhere else

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

of course - i posted last night that a dodgy twitter account (amartey_arse) had made up that we would match west hams bid courtesy of a l'equipe publication which hadn't said anything.  by this morning this had become accepted narrative  

schira seemed to have some information re the 40m euros which i hadn't seen anywhere else

Fair does mate just didn’t want the tweet to get your hopes up :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I do get what you're saying, but I think we're in serious danger of being done here.

St Etienne are meant to be having financial trouble, but they're asking around £40m for a 19 year old defender. I think we're much better off moving onto our 2nd choice now. It doesn't represent value for money at all. Even in the best case - where Fofana hits the ground running and becomes a starter for us, he still won't have much sell-on value, which is probably the main advantage of buying young players for a club in our position.

There's still time to get other signings done. I think this one looks out of our reach now. We could get it over the line, and I'm sure he's a good player, but do we really want to at that price?

Agree with this, this deal smacks of the EPL premium being whacked on and then some to the fee. £40m for a guy that's had 1 season in senior football and started less than 20 games screams risk to me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Agree with this, this deal smacks of the EPL premium being whacked on and then some to the fee. £40m for a guy that's had 1 season in senior football and started less than 20 games screams risk to me.

I do not think West ham would go that high anyway in todays market, there has to be a better deal out there? stick to the budget or move on.

• Like 1

Thought it was reported that West Ham have no money, they came very close to litigation over Haller I thought due to non payment. It is reports though, so could be total nonsense!

6 minutes ago, weller54 said:

If we sign him do we get The Mindbenders as well?

Ha ha - only people of a certain age would get that!

We've got at least one mindbender here already... Gray

How can he look such a fine athlete, carries the ball gracefully, show glimpses of ability but not produce it consistently - that baffles me  :nigel:

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
17 minutes ago, weller54 said:

If we sign him do we get The Mindbenders as well?

Got to be of a certain age for that one. Just saw previous post. Doh

Edited by Markyblue

48 minutes ago, JJS84 said:

Too sensible by half.

36 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

who says they are asking £40 mil?? sky? randoms on twitter? as fans and anyone outside the calls that may be ongoing, there is no idea of any costs being discussed. 

i'll let the club and their highly experienced recruitment team, cheif exec and many others decide what is the best price wise and which target we should be working on right now. 

we have no idea if Tah is even a realistic target, again just something mentioned by the ever well informed media.

the reality is, the only real reason we know we are in for Fofana is because the player himself directly mentioned having agreed a deal in principle with us, which is an extremely rare thing.

Edited by JJS84