Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54312699

Barrett it is.

The Senate Dems should ask one important question at the hearing IMO: "In the case that your religious belief conflicts with the law as stated, can you say in clear conscience that you will choose the law as stated in each and every case?"

Of course, she will defend herself and say "Yes" (as she has done before) but it's important to get it as a matter of record so if she does decide to, say, make a religious-based ruling on Roe v Wade, there will have been irrefutable evidence that she lied under oath - which could be addressed accordingly.

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I swear I'm on a different planet from some people.

Ei1zZwEWkAU1ZPy?format=jpg&name=large

How does he make that out as ‘far right’?

My initial thought was that the b&w Union Jack symbolised the fact the copper was originally from NZ 

Bizzare...

15 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My initial thought was that the b&w Union Jack symbolised the fact the copper was originally from NZ 

Bizzare...

It isn't far right.

There's a union jack because it's the UK.

It's black because black is a colour associated with mourning and there's a blue line because it's police, like a green line represents the ambulance service and a red line represents the fire service.

Some people go out of their way to be offended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would be interested to know why people find it offensive. I've tried looking it up (reading the replies to the initial tweet) and all I have found is it's a symbol that has been used in the US by far right groups to push against racial equality. (presumably they used the American flag not union flag but couldn't even work that out). To me though the flag makes sense black and white for mourning, blue line for the police. Maybe someone with more insight could explain why it's offensive because I can't work it out but would be interested in expanding my knowledge on this issue. 

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I would be interested to know why people find it offensive. I've tried looking it up (reading the replies to the initial tweet) and all I have found is it's a symbol that has been used in the US by far right groups to push against racial equality. (presumably they used the American flag not union flag but couldn't even work that out). To me though the flag makes sense black and white for mourning, blue line for the police. Maybe someone with more insight could explain why it's offensive because I can't work it out but would be interested in expanding my knowledge on this issue. 

Yeah, it's pretty much as you say. The "thin blue line" represented on a flag has been co-opted by far-right groups in the US as a way of deflecting attention from the systemic race-based problems within policing and the justice system in a lot of the US - going  "what about those brave blue lives" rather than actually addressing the problem because, you know, they're ok with the way things are now. I guess folks saw the UK flag with similar representation and thought it represented similar views.

Of course, given the reasonably obvious differences between the attitudes of police in the UK and US towards people of colour, that viewpoint lacks any nuance at all.

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm agreeing with owen Jones but anybody who's been paying attention to US politics should be more than aware of the far right's use of a black flag with one of the lines replaced with a blue one. To directly copy that design using a Union flag is eyebrow raising at the least. I notice a lot are of the opinion that since you can pretty easily make case-specific justifications for each element of the design that there's nothing to it, that's usually the whole point of these far right memes: Make them mostly innocuous so you can deny, deflect and obfuscate.  I'm not saying it's definitely the case here but it plays into those hands and it can't have been hard to make a more unique design.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I can't believe I'm agreeing with owen Jones but anybody who's been paying attention to US politics should be more than aware of the far right's use of a black flag with one of the lines replaced with a blue one. To directly copy that design using a Union flag is eyebrow raising at the least. I notice a lot are of the opinion that since you can pretty easily make case-specific justifications for each element of the design that there's nothing to it, that's usually the whole point of these far right memes: Make them mostly innocuous so you can deny, deflect and obfuscate.  I'm not saying it's definitely the case here but it plays into those hands and it can't have been hard to make a more unique design.

I'm pretty sure this particular symbol has been used in the UK for a little while now when police officers are killed on duty.  Certainly since Keith Palmer in 2017.

I do not believe for one minute that the tweet had anything whatsoever to do with race or inequality.  Honestly, those that think it does are looking for something that's not there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

I'm pretty sure this particular symbol has been used in the UK for a little while now when police officers are killed on duty.  Certainly since Keith Palmer in 2017.

I do not believe for one minute that the tweet had anything whatsoever to do with race or inequality.  Honestly, those that think it does are looking for something that's not there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/611264/fury-officers-told-not-wear-UK-flag-badge-memory-killed-colleagues/amp

Last story I remember seeing them. From 2015.

**** USA tbh. And **** blindly allowing their problems to deflect from mourning a fallen UK police officer. And **** Owen Jones for good measure. 

• Like 4

The Thin blue line is a sign to show solidarity with fallen Police Officers and their families.

Is anyone surprised regarding the identification of the absolute POND LIFE that murdered one of our Country's heroes.

If I see any political "Black Lives Matter" BULLSHIT on TV, I am complaining to Ofcom, it's an American problem and it can bloody well stay there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/09/2020 at 08:15, Pliskin said:

My brother said it was a group of volunteer special constable that arrested him. That’s what he has hear, a lot of Chinese whispers at the moment, but how a gun made its way into a custody suite is staggering......

As someone who knows Police procedures pretty well... someone has at the very least lost their job.  He should have been searched upon arrest before getting into the Police car, and a gun is a big thing to miss.

11 hours ago, Izzy said:

Bizzare...

My mate works in the police force and has that symbol on a velcro patch on his chest. 

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I know I’m a bit more conservative than the average folk on here but I just can’t even fathom how one can think so blindly and stupidly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benguin said:

I know I’m a bit more conservative than the average folk on here but I just can’t even fathom how one can think so blindly and stupidly. 

People with closed minds tend to have that problem, yes, they also usually strike out at others in their confusion so you're 2 for 2.

14 hours ago, nnfox said:

If it predates the symbol in question then that obviously changes the whole situation, I was under the impression this was a new development.

59 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

People with closed minds tend to have that problem, yes, they also usually strike out at others in their confusion so you're 2 for 2.

If it predates the symbol in question then that obviously changes the whole situation, I was under the impression this was a new development.

Hence blind, although ignorant is probably a better word. Do some googling. The symbol is used be emergency services in mourning losses. Blue for police, green for ambulances, red for fire. 

41 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Hence blind, although ignorant is probably a better word. Do some googling. The symbol is used be emergency services in mourning losses. Blue for police, green for ambulances, red for fire. 

I'm not sure you've understood my initial post about this if I'm being honest

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not sure you've understood my initial post about this if I'm being honest

Your post is agreeing with a blithering idiot (Has now apologised to be fair) about a tweet where a police force use a symbol that has been used for many years by emergency services in mourning and just so happens to have also been used by a far right group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Benguin said:

Your post is agreeing with a blithering idiot (Has now apologised to be fair) about a tweet where a police force use a symbol that has been used for many years by emergency services in mourning and just so happens to have also been used by a far right group.

Yeah no you've not quite got it, am at work but I'll sit down to lay it out for you when I get a chance

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah no you've not quite got it, am at work but I'll sit down to lay it out for you when I get a chance

Not sure what there is to lay out. A police force using a symbol associated with mourning police officers, to mourn a murdered police officer was wrong? 

23 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Not sure what there is to lay out. A police force using a symbol associated with mourning police officers, to mourn a murdered police officer was wrong? 

It's a Union Jack. Might as well be a swastika when it comes to "progressives". 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Didn't say anything was wrong, I didn't draw any conclusion at all, that's the main reason for your misconception, saw a political post and jumped to faulty conclusions. Ironic considering your complaint.

• Like 1

@Benguin

I can't believe I'm agreeing with owen Jones Awareness of who the guy is, surprise he's making an apparently fair point.

but anybody who's been paying attention to US politics should be more than aware of the far right's use of a black flag with one of the lines replaced with a blue one. To directly copy that design using a Union flag is eyebrow raising at the least.  Explanation for why the Union Flag image raised red flags given the striking similarities to a contemporarily popular emblem of far-right, bad faith discourse.

I notice a lot are of the opinion that since you can pretty easily make case-specific justifications for each element of the design that there's nothing to it, that's usually the whole point of these far right memes: Make them mostly innocuous so you can deny, deflect and obfuscate.  Hopefully no confusion here:  Pepe, Kekistan, Clownface, that kind of thing.

I'm not saying it's definitely the case here but it plays into those hands and it can't have been hard to make a more unique design.  Distinct emphasis on not condemning the image but pondering why nobody involved saw and sidestepped the obvious resemblance, later information proved it perfectly benign, good thing I kept an open mind or I might look stupid here.

I have no problem with anything I said there, I think it holds up well and fairly explains the situation in the context where the tweeted picture was understood to be a recent design.  Hit me up if you have any further queries.