Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

One of Viktor Orban's anti-LGBT goons has been - wait for it - caught at a gay gang bang raided by the cops.

It's always the homophobes, isn't it?

Deflection, or projection? It’s a bit of an odd phenomena. There were a few high-ranking Nazi officials or well-known Nazi sympathisers who were themselves of Jewish descent. 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

Deflection, or projection? It’s a bit of an odd phenomena. There were a few high-ranking Nazi officials or well-known Nazi sympathisers who were themselves of Jewish descent

To steal a line from Spamalot, it's not the sort of thing you say to a heavily armed Christian...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

Laughing Emoji entered in error, don`t know how to remove or edit it.

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think if you click it again it removes it? 

Yeah, hover over it and a cross appears to remove it. OR you can change emotion to something else.

The term 'Essex girl' is being removed from the dictionary following a successful campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/05/essex-girl-removed-from-dictionary-following-campaign

I think the question on everybody's lips will be, 'how did they know it was in there?'

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 1

On 05/12/2020 at 15:56, Buce said:

The term 'Essex girl' is being removed from the dictionary following a successful campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/05/essex-girl-removed-from-dictionary-following-campaign

I think the question on everybody's lips will be, 'how did they know it was in there?'

I'm glad Gemma Collins, star of The Only Way Is Essex, has stood up to being presented as loud-mouthed, crass, poorly dressed, and tasteless. Anyone who has watched 5 minutes of that show or any of her spin-offs will tell you she is so much worse than that.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'm glad Gemma Collins, star of The Only Way Is Essex, has stood up to being presented as loud-mouthed, crass, poorly dressed, and tasteless. Anyone who has watched 5 minutes of that show or any of her spin-offs will tell you she is so much worse than that.

Gemma Collins, one of the stars of The Only Way Is Essex, previously told Sky News she was against the use of the term. “I think the dictionary should be paying everyone in Essex compensation,” she said. “We have evolved over the years. It is very derogatory what has been said about us. And it does need to be changed.”

She wants reparations for being called an Essex girl, yet she wouldn't even have a career if that term didn't exist.  She should be paying 'the dictionary' lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

She wants reparations for being called an Essex girl, yet she wouldn't even have a career if that term didn't exist.  She should be paying 'the dictionary' lol

"I'm a big fan of the dictionary" lol

I dare say some might find this statistic as a source of pride at human ingenuity and fecundity, but I just see it as a a sad reminder of our impending doom:

Human-made objects to outweigh living things

Scientists say the weight of human-made objects will likely exceed that of living things by the end of the year.

In other words, the combined weight of all the plastic, bricks, concrete and other things we've made in the world will outweigh all animals and plants on the planet for the first time.

The estimated weight of human-made objects is about one teratonne.

For every person in the world, more than their body weight in stuff is now being produced each week.

These astonishing figures have been calculated by a team at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences in Rehovot, Israel, to show how our species is transforming the Earth.

"The significance is symbolic in the sense that it tells us something about the major role that humanity now plays in shaping the world and the state of the Earth around us," Dr Ron Milo, who led the research, told BBC News.

"It is a reason for all of us to ponder our role, how much consumption we do and how can we try to get a better balance between the living world and humanity."

The scientists worked out the combined mass of all human-made stuff from 1900 to the present day and compared this with the weight of all the living things on the planet (known as biomass).

From plastic bottles to the bricks and concretes we use for buildings and roads, the weight of all the things we produce has been doubling every 20 years recently.

At the same time, the weight of living things has been falling, mainly due to the loss of plant life in forests and natural spaces.

The scientists knew at some point we would reach a crossover point. And according to their estimates, 2020 is the year when human-made mass from the likes of roads, buildings and machines, will likely overtake that of all the living things in the world.

The exact timing is sensitive to definitions, so there may be some variability in the estimates by a few years either side, they say.

But if we continue as we are, by 2040, the weight of all human-made stuff will have almost tripled from 1.1 teratonnes (1,100,000,000,000 tonnes) to about three teratonnes.

This means humanity is now producing stuff at a rate of more than 30 gigatonnes (30,000,000,000 tonnes) per year.

The research, published in Nature, is further evidence that we have entered a new geological age, known as the Anthropocene, where humanity's impacts on Earth will be visible in sediments and rocks millions of years into the future.

The formal start date could be the 1950s, which marks the beginning of the "Great Acceleration", when the human population and its consumption patterns suddenly speeded up.

It coincides with the spread of ubiquitous materials, such as aluminium, concrete and plastic.

Edited by Buce
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Buce said:

I dare say some might find this statistic as a source of pride at human ungenuity and fecundity, but I just see it as a a sad reminder of our impending doom:

Human-made objects to outweigh living things

Scientists say the weight of human-made objects will likely exceed that of living things by the end of the year.

In other words, the combined weight of all the plastic, bricks, concrete and other things we've made in the world will outweigh all animals and plants on the planet for the first time.

The estimated weight of human-made objects is about one teratonne.

For every person in the world, more than their body weight in stuff is now being produced each week.

These astonishing figures have been calculated by a team at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences in Rehovot, Israel, to show how our species is transforming the Earth.

"The significance is symbolic in the sense that it tells us something about the major role that humanity now plays in shaping the world and the state of the Earth around us," Dr Ron Milo, who led the research, told BBC News.

"It is a reason for all of us to ponder our role, how much consumption we do and how can we try to get a better balance between the living world and humanity."

The scientists worked out the combined mass of all human-made stuff from 1900 to the present day and compared this with the weight of all the living things on the planet (known as biomass).

From plastic bottles to the bricks and concretes we use for buildings and roads, the weight of all the things we produce has been doubling every 20 years recently.

At the same time, the weight of living things has been falling, mainly due to the loss of plant life in forests and natural spaces.

The scientists knew at some point we would reach a crossover point. And according to their estimates, 2020 is the year when human-made mass from the likes of roads, buildings and machines, will likely overtake that of all the living things in the world.

The exact timing is sensitive to definitions, so there may be some variability in the estimates by a few years either side, they say.

But if we continue as we are, by 2040, the weight of all human-made stuff will have almost tripled from 1.1 teratonnes (1,100,000,000,000 tonnes) to about three teratonnes.

This means humanity is now producing stuff at a rate of more than 30 gigatonnes (30,000,000,000 tonnes) per year.

The research, published in Nature, is further evidence that we have entered a new geological age, known as the Anthropocene, where humanity's impacts on Earth will be visible in sediments and rocks millions of years into the future.

The formal start date could be the 1950s, which marks the beginning of the "Great Acceleration", when the human population and its consumption patterns suddenly speeded up.

It coincides with the spread of ubiquitous materials, such as aluminium, concrete and plastic.

Never EVER heard the word fecundity before ...    can’t wait to slip it in down the pub ...   if I ever get there !!

”The human race really has a fecundity to produce marvellous beers”  ....

52 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Never EVER heard the word fecundity before ...    can’t wait to slip it in down the pub ...   if I ever get there !!

”The human race really has a fecundity to produce marvellous beers”  ....

Slight side note, but I read a word on here earlier that I hadn't come across before. I spent a while Googling until I realised it was a typo! Can't remember exactly what it was, but I think the poster meant to type 'negative' and it looked very believable :blush:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Slight side note, but I read a word on here earlier that I hadn't come across before. I spent a while Googling until I realised it was a typo! Can't remember exactly what it was, but I think the poster meant to type 'negative' and it looked very believable :blush:

I saw that as well. Think the typo was 'nagatobe' lol