Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I accept your point but I do get the feeling that, at the moment with things the way they are, that style just doesn't wash with most people. Partisan rhetoric and dubious one-liners are always going to play a part at PMQs (sadly in my view), but when it comes to the former his attack lines have been stale for weeks and on the latter he doesn't know when the appropriate time is to use them.

Starmer quizzed him on families bereaved due to Covid and he makes a joke about pants for fvck's sake. I get that many don't look beyond whichever soundbite confirms their bias every week, but in a time of fear and anxiety like this anyone who does look beyond that is going to be mightily unimpressed - and I get the sense that group of people is getting larger as the pandemic continues.

I think you're projecting tbh, I think it's baked in that politicians will be politicians

On the other hand you must be at least half right because his attack line about Starmer not supporting the government is a weekly affair and again has the focus group paw prints all over it.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

You're right most people don't look at the detail, but they do see the tweets the memes and read the headlines and listen to Piers Morgan, all of that builds. BJ is losing credibility and the Sun for one don't like to back a loser. We've already seen a few signs of dissent in the Mail and Telegraph.

Starmer is not going to deliver a knock out blow, but the constant exposing and highlighting of BJ and his cabinet's incompetence will just erode support.

The bloke hid in a fridge, the most memeable thing he could possibly do and it made no difference. Brand Boris isn't built on credibility and I'm not sure you can lose something that you didn't really have in the first place. 

People do see tweet, memes, Piers Morgan and headlines but it doesn't mean they stick. That's particularly prescient with people's attention span shortening. 

What does make the difference are the big events. The biggest harm came from him throwing himself under the bus for Cummings whilst they also have the poor handling of the pandemic hanging over them. Two major, major events and yet he's still ahead on best PM, that lead is stable and possibly even increasing, and the polls are steady at election levels with Starmer hoovering up some LD switchers that you'd probably have expected him to do so quite easily. 

Arise, Lord Beefy Botham of Brexit, reportedly!? :blink:

I wonder what he'll do with the role, if the rumour is true?

Also rumour suggests comebacks in the Lords for Ken Clarke, Philip Hammond, Ed Vaizey, Frank Field, Gisela Stuart, John Woodcock & Ian Austin.

The first 4 in that list have the potential to make life tricky for the Govt.

Worth noting the clause of the trade bill regards protecting the NHS and other public bodies from private companies was turned down yesterday. 

Therefore it appears play on when it comes to trade talks and the NHS is up for grabs 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth noting the clause of the trade bill regards protecting the NHS and other public bodies from private companies was turned down yesterday. 

Therefore it appears play on when it comes to trade talks and the NHS is up for grabs 

The joys of a massive Tory majority becoming ever more evident, it would seem

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And thus the irony will not be lost when when the rabid clappers for the NHS workers for ten weeks step back in the polling booth in a few years time and, once again, tick the blue box.

25 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

And thus the irony will not be lost when when the rabid clappers for the NHS workers for ten weeks step back in the polling booth in a few years time and, once again, tick the blue box.

Utter scum bags. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Whatever happened to NHS is not on the table when it comes to trade deals :(

Can anyone show me the part in the Lisbon treaty that protects our NHS and takes it off the table?

Can anyone guarantee that by remaining a member of EU, that the ttip negotiations wouldn’t restart that would have done exactly this anyway.

But yeah it’s evil tories again, boo hiss.

Edited by Strokes

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Sigh.  The NHS which the Tories have been trying to provatise in their 40+ years in power since is was created?  Yes of course we are going to sell it to the Americans who will take it apart and rebuild it in Ohio like London Bridge.  Defo.

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Throw in the food hygiene standards as well 

A very small % of American chicken is chlorine washed ~ roughly 10%.  It is completely safe to the consumer.  If you don't buy the cheapest chicken in a supermarket then I don't see the concern.  The ban has always been EU protectionism at it's most obvious.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sigh.  The NHS which the Tories have been trying to provatise in their 40+ years in power since is was created?  Yes of course we are going to sell it to the Americans who will take it apart and rebuild it in Ohio like London Bridge.  Defo.

I don’t think even they really believe it. Amazing none of these NHS warriors were shouting when Blair and Brown were signing PFI contracts (some of which are still being paid) like they were going out of fashion.
Or for every trade deal the EU signed us up too that failed to ring fence it.

1 minute ago, iniesta said:

The NHS is an overburdened failure.. Reform is welcome

Yes indeed, but I wouldn't touch the US funding model with a barge pole.  There are much better models in Europe.  As a general point, the idea that we wouldn't have a free at the point of use system for those who cannot afford to contribute would never happen in the UK in the way it leaves tens of millions without healthcare in the US.  Like many other things in the US welfare model which we would never ever see here.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I don’t think even they really believe it. Amazing none of these NHS warriors were shouting when Blair and Brown were signing PFI contracts (some of which are still being paid) like they were going out of fashion.
Or for every trade deal the EU signed us up too that failed to ring fence it.

My family have worked in the NHS for years.  My Mum for ~35 years, my wife for ~8, by sister for ~6, in various nursing and admin roles.  It is and always has been a cobbled together mish mash of the brilliant and the shockingly crap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

The Anti Americanism from EU fanboys is nothing short of xenophobia.

They also don't seem understand the first thing about negotation; that if we legislate in advance to tie our hands we will come off much worse in any trade deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

My family have worked in the NHS for years.  My Mum for ~35 years, my wife for ~8, by sister for ~6, in various nursing and admin roles.  It is and always has been a cobbled together mish mash of the brilliant and the shockingly crap.

My wife as well for 12 years and I concur.

My wife says standards and conditions were the worse she has ever seen in 2009, when she first qualified.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

They also don't seem understand the first thing about negotation; that if we legislate in advance to tie our hands we will come off much worse in any trade deal.

They probably do understand it, it’s that they wish to play dumb in order for that to happen.

They need us to fail, to open up the door back in.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

I love how you assume nobody that works for the NHS votes for the tories.

• Haha 1

People living longer, more people require healthcare, birth rates slowing but still rising.

Did people seriously expect the purely state funded NHS to keep step with this?

The privatisation of some parts of the health care system has been inevitable for a generation. 

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

A very small % of American chicken is chlorine washed ~ roughly 10%.  It is completely safe to the consumer.  If you don't buy the cheapest chicken in a supermarket then I don't see the concern.  The ban has always been EU protectionism at it's most obvious.

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sigh 

• Like 1