Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

16 hours ago, Strokes said:

There are a few parallels.

I don’t see it personally mate, I agree too much of the movement got itself into a rut by trying to import wholesale American ideals. Keir Starmer, as an example, backed the initial movement and ‘took the knee’, he’s then criticised off-mark stances like ‘defund the police’ and yet he’s still Labour Party leader with the best public backing in years. I’ve criticised the movement for certain stances with friends and publicly on social media and I’m yet to be cast out or sacked from my job. I suspect the majority of the country either doesn’t back BLM or do so very fleetingly and disagree completely with the radical elements. 

I think the fact a few TV Execs and Corporate Marketing Teams, wholly of their own volition may I add, decided they’d get a good look removing certain episodes of TV or mascots/advertising characters, which was met by confusion even by the likes of Owen Smith, and the acts of a few bellends on the marches have conflated the influence this group realistically has. 

Whilst I understand your point Strokes, I would ask you to consider retracting the Nazi Germany comparison. A few radicals being particularly vocal with a few bad takes, with no real societal power outside a couple marketing ploys, isn’t really comparable to State-sponsored persecution and some of the worst atrocities in modern times. That goes for anyone seriously comparing Boris or the Tories in a similar way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Doesn't the taking the knee controversy come from a cultural misunderstanding? It started in the US as a way of protesting against the establishment by NFL players kneeling during the US anthem and the kneeling was chosen as the most respectful yet noticeable way of protesting. Since we associate kneeling with "submission" (people kneel before the Queen), people are seeing the taking the knee as an act of submission not a deliberately moderate form of protest or solidarity as it was intended. 

So if Keir Starmer takes the knee it is meant to be saying "I acknowledge there are still issues with racial equality and as leader of the opposition I'll do my best to address those". Ultimately whatever a politician decides to do they will get criticism for doing it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Christ Johnson is terrible at PMQs. Genuinely think he believes he shouldn't be subject to any scrutiny whatsoever.

It just seems like a regularity now that any question he gets stuck on is just met with questioning Starmer's support for the government. Any respectable leader would answer with some honesty and facts and passion. Johnson has little or none of that when he's faced by Starmer. 

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Christ Johnson is terrible at PMQs. Genuinely think he believes he shouldn't be subject to any scrutiny whatsoever.

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

It just seems like a regularity now that any question he gets stuck on is just met with questioning Starmer's support for the government. Any respectable leader would answer with some honesty and facts and passion. Johnson has little or none of that when he's faced by Starmer. 

I listened to it purely by chance and heard the admission that he hadn't read the report about the second wave and the Calvin Klein "joke".

He's only as crap as a lot of commentators said he would be. He had this reputation for not bothering with detail and never properly preparing anything but I'm still surprised how half arsed he comes across

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

It depends how you view terrible really. He's very bad at it if you pay attention to it all, are sufficiently interested in substance and get excited by people citing written reports. But for the majority that only have a fleeting interest, he gets through most weeks without a hitch and is better at the punch-and-judy but. The scripted lines are a hallmark of government by focus group, it couldn't be anymore blatant that the weekly dig at Starmer for being a lawyer will be because that's what focus groups pick up on. 

8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

It depends how you view terrible really. He's very bad at it if you pay attention to it all, are sufficiently interested in substance and get excited by people citing written reports. But for the majority that only have a fleeting interest, he gets through most weeks without a hitch and is better at the punch-and-judy but. The scripted lines are a hallmark of government by focus group, it couldn't be anymore blatant that the weekly dig at Starmer for being a lawyer will be because that's what focus groups pick up on. 

I accept your point but I do get the feeling that, at the moment with things the way they are, that style just doesn't wash with most people. Partisan rhetoric and dubious one-liners are always going to play a part at PMQs (sadly in my view), but when it comes to the former his attack lines have been stale for weeks and on the latter he doesn't know when the appropriate time is to use them.

Starmer quizzed him on families bereaved due to Covid and he makes a joke about pants for fvck's sake. I get that many don't look beyond whichever soundbite confirms their bias every week, but in a time of fear and anxiety like this anyone who does look beyond that is going to be mightily unimpressed - and I get the sense that group of people is getting larger as the pandemic continues.

8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

You're right most people don't look at the detail, but they do see the tweets the memes and read the headlines and listen to Piers Morgan, all of that builds. BJ is losing credibility and the Sun for one don't like to back a loser. We've already seen a few signs of dissent in the Mail and Telegraph.

Starmer is not going to deliver a knock out blow, but the constant exposing and highlighting of BJ and his cabinet's incompetence will just erode support.

The overall standard of politicians seems to have never been lower but then you'd have to be a bit of a masochist or have a massive ego or consider yourself incompetent at any other high paid job to be one.

The continuing rabid like vilification of them on Social and printed media, the never ending intrusion into every tiny inconsequential aspect of their private lives and lifestyles, none of which is illegal is not something that would attract the most competent of people.

History will show that many past politicians had skeletons in their cupboards even the most successful, celebrated and respected ones but managed to do their jobs well in spite of this.

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

The overall standard of politicians seems to have never been lower but then you'd have to be a bit of a masochist or have a massive ego or consider yourself incompetent at any other high paid job to be one.

The continuing rabid like vilification of them on Social and printed media, the never ending intrusion into every tiny inconsequential aspect of their private lives and lifestyles, none of which is illegal is not something that would attract the most competent of people.

History will show that many past politicians had skeletons in their cupboards even the most successful, celebrated and respected ones but managed to do their jobs well in spite of this.

Including Alan B'stard

Thought I should post in here after SL prodded we with a raging tory jibe! I discard labels and embrace commerance with far too much gusto and fervour. I'm a zealot. Literally full of zeal for commerance.

Join me brothers and sisters and lets start an anti-movement movement.

5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Thought I should post in here after SL prodded we with a raging tory jibe! I discard labels and embrace commerance with far too much gusto and fervour. I'm a zealot. Literally full of zeal for commerance.

Join me brothers and sisters and lets start an anti-movement movement.

Ignore him old son.