Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

28 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Some planning reform is definitely needed but developers are the most unscrupulous crooks going. Even with quite stringent regulations they still apply for awful shoebox builds and they sometimes still get through. 

Much of what is developed is council and national policy rather than developer lead. They of course want to make as much as possible by getting as many units on the site as they can. However, the look and size of the building is often dictated by the planners who are obessed with bricks in Leicester. There are very few Leicester developments that don't have vast swathes of brick as it is the only thing that will be accepted.

Many of the developers I work with are excellent and want to do a good job. This approach typically sells better with higher rates than the build them cheap stack them high approach.

The opinions on here are not reflective of the majority of developers who are hamstrung by the planners and planning policy.

• Like 2

I hate the Tories but Nicola Sturgeon comes across a whiny tw at who just disagrees with anything and everything Westminster does purely out of spite rather than the good of Scotland.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nalis said:

I hate the Tories but Nicola Sturgeon comes across a whiny tw at who just disagrees with anything and everything Westminster does purely out of spite rather than the good of Scotland.

I dislike but admire her. She does what’s right for Scotland while obviously she does have her own agenda. Ask yourself this though, if you were Scottish and didn’t want independence before, surely after watching the mess south of the border you would now? There’s a reason Scotland have minimal ongoing cases and her leadership is a good part of it. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I dislike but admire her. She does what’s right for Scotland while obviously she does have her own agenda. Ask yourself this though, if you were Scottish and didn’t want independence before, surely after watching the mess south of the border you would now? There’s a reason Scotland have minimal ongoing cases and her leadership is a good part of it. 

I would never judge the future of my country by it's current leader who knows who might replace them? you never know who you might get after Sturgeon or Boris.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Until they realise they will lose the UK grant and then take a peek over the fence and see how that EU togetherness stopped as soon as the shit hit the fan.

She is doing the same as what’s happening down South just a week or so after, she made a big deal about Schools opening and said Scottish schools won’t open till mid August to which every parent in England starts to think that’s good they are looking after their kids, is it safe for us to send our kids etc etc then you look deeper and realise school terms are different in SCO and ENG as in SCO are currently in their summer holidays so it has nothing to do with protection it’s just a natural break.

7 hours ago, Lionator said:

Yeah you'd be absolutely desperate. The death rate per capita is soooo much well better thanks to the masterful actions of Nicola Sturgeon. 

• Like 2

On 03/07/2020 at 16:37, Nalis said:

Nicola Sturgeon has shown strong and decisive leadership throughout and the pandemic has been much better contained in Scotland than it has south of the border. New infections are now at a very low level and there have been no deaths for over a week. 

While south of the border Boris Johnson waffles and blusters and looks lost at the despatch box without the mob of rowdy and obnoxious public schoolboys behind him.

Of course she disagrees with everything Westminster does with good reason. She is leader at Holyrood and not leader of the SNP group of MPs at Westminster for a good reason. Read any Scottish paper and coverage of the events at Holyrood usually eclipse coverage of the Westminster parliament. Support for independence has reached new heights and is now looking a matter of when and not if. 

16 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

Nicola Sturgeon has shown strong and decisive leadership throughout and the pandemic has been much better contained in Scotland than it has south of the border. New infections are now at a very low level and there have been no deaths for over a week. 

While south of the border Boris Johnson waffles and blusters and looks lost at the despatch box without the mob of rowdy and obnoxious public schoolboys behind him.

Of course she disagrees with everything Westminster does with good reason. She is leader at Holyrood and not leader of the SNP group of MPs at Westminster for a good reason. Read any Scottish paper and coverage of the events at Holyrood usually eclipse coverage of the Westminster parliament. Support for independence has reached new heights and is now looking a matter of when and not if. 

If only she could answer that pesky currency question

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

31 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

Its been a sh itshow south of the border, no doubt about that though I doubt we'll see Scottish independence in our lifetimes.

The main reason people vote SNP is to get a larger say for Scotland in Westminster rather than actually wanting to leave the UK and its the financial benefits to Scotland particularly since the north sea oil money argument has lost its gravitas somewhat over the past few years.

Edited by Nalis

27 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

I disagree, at the last election the parties that supported independence secured only 46% of the vote and so it is very premature to suggest that an independence result at a referendum is a given. It would also ignore the issues that have been raised since Brexit, the plummeting oil price that is unlikely to get sufficiently better anytime soon and the debt that they would likely incur which will have risen since Covid.  Their reduced educational standards would also be a factor given Sturgeon wanted to be judged by them.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Salisbury Fox said:

I disagree, at the last election the parties that supported independence secured only 46% of the vote and so it is very premature to suggest that an independence result at a referendum is a given. It would also ignore the issues that have been raised since Brexit, the plummeting oil price that is unlikely to get sufficiently better anytime soon and the debt that they would likely incur which will have risen since Covid.  Their reduced educational standards would also be a factor given Sturgeon wanted to be judged by them.  

There are Scots who want independence but don't vote SNP. Recent polling had 'Yes' on 54% of the vote. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

There are Scots who want independence but don't vote SNP. Recent polling had 'Yes' on 54% of the vote. 

I am not doubting that there are high levels of support, but any poll right now might just be a reflection of the perceived management of the current crisis which the SNP can easily deflect blame which after all is their modus operandi.  If they couldn’t answer questions on currency before, how are they to do so now given the complete different economic circumstances and the new political reality of Brexit.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Salisbury Fox said:

I am not doubting that there are high levels of support, but any poll right now might just be a reflection of the perceived management of the current crisis which the SNP can easily deflect blame which after all is their modus operandi.  If they couldn’t answer questions on currency before, how are they to do so now given the complete different economic circumstances and the new political reality of Brexit.

Recent referenda have shown that lacking answers to important economic questions doesn't matter to nationalists to whom 'freedom' is the only thing that matters. 

23 minutes ago, bovril said:

Recent referenda have shown that lacking answers to important economic questions doesn't matter to nationalists to whom 'freedom' is the only thing that matters. 

I would tend to agree with you there, but I think the majority will see through any white paper produced as there will not be enough black gold to pay for it this time around, let alone set up a sovereign wealth fund.  That’s before considering the proportional amount of debt that they will have to take on.

On 03/07/2020 at 11:07, Voll Blau said:

Pathetic. the Tories need to get rid and replace him with an actual vertebrate - for all our sakes.

Maybe his family and senior advisors could take time out of acting like a bunch of entitled cvnts and try to avoid embarrassing him 

On 03/07/2020 at 11:07, Voll Blau said:

Pathetic. the Tories need to get rid and replace him with an actual vertebrate - for all our sakes.

Stanley Johnson must have realised that the media would get hold of the news but he went ahead anyway. 

I am quite serious about a move to Scotland but will I actually go there to look for a house while the pandemic is far from done?

Bit by bit, the authority and credibility of the government is being undermined by its own supporters. It won't make any difference in the Tory blue-rinse heartlands of Blimpington-on-Sea but it will in Boris Johnson's 'Red Wall' seats where large numbers of Labour voters, with no illusions about Corbyn, stayed at home last December and allowed a Tory to take the seat.

Starmer is so refreshing on his perspective in general and that he actually understand the issues facing the party and the nation, the latter which his predecessor had failed to comprehend and acknowledge at times.

Edited by Wymsey